Charvel Model 4 info & help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Model 4 info & help

I have a buddy who mentioned he had an old Charvel Model 4 (once he found out how much I love Jacksons) and wanted me to find info for him.

Since I don't know Charvels very well, I thought I'd ask here.
    He said it's an '80s model, neck plate says Fort Worth, Texas USA
    Serial # 227659

He wants to know if anyone can verify it's a Model 4 (he's pretty sure it is)
    Also wants to know year if possible.

The most important thing he wants to know is what type of bridge it is supposed to have. It's missing the bridge and he wants to put the right thing in.

Thanks for any help guys!!

Here's a picture of it:
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

That looks like an '86 Model 3, due to the pickguard and narrow spacing of those trem bushings. It came with a Kahler 2500 series Fulcrum trem, or he can source a 2710 "Killer", which is a much better double-locking trem that has the same post spacing.

A Model 4 would have 3 mini-switches rather than the 5-way switch, 3 pots due to the active midboost circuit, and it never came with a pickguard or the Kahler Fulcrum. It had a Kahler flatmount and dot inlays for '86, then the JT-6 trem and sharkfin inlays for '87 and '88.
    Last edited by dg; 08-29-2011, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Yep... it's an 86 Model 3.
      -Rick

Comment

Looks as thought the nut is missing also. Did the 86 model 3 have a string lock? I thought mine did. If so then thats missing also and the truss rod cover has been replaced with a full sized one.
        Last edited by Carbuff; 08-29-2011, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Missing a few parts but lots of the right parts on ebay to fix it back stock.
          1986 Model 3 made in Japan.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Cool, thanks guys. I passed the info on to him. What kind of nut does it need? Something specific to the Kahler?
            My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

It takes a regular Gibson-style nut with a Kahler behind-the-nut stringlock.

Comment

Agreed, Model 3

Comment

I had one just like that. Had a nice yellowish tint. Was a 86 model with the kahler.

Comment

Hi, the replys you recieved are correct. On ebay I've purchased kahler above the nut locknuts for 14.99. As far as the bridge goes I have a nice 2500 kahler I'll be listing in a few moments with the posts missing the fine tuners. But whats cool about kahlers is they're made in the US so the threads are inch series. You can go to the hardware store & buy #4-40 socket head cap screws black for fine tuners. I also have a vintage kahler spyder TM with arm, lever locknut & posts but its $215.

Comment

Working...
                    X