Jackson identification help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson identification help

Hello, new here,. I have my little brothers Jackson we bought together here in San Diego about 20yrs ago at the Guitar Center. Been trying to pinpoint when and were it was made but the serial # and fact sheet from Jackson just don't add up.... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Somewhere around here are scans of original work orders with name and a short list of specs. I cant find it at the moment though. Someone will be along shortly Im sure, that will be able to help.

EDIT: Found it: http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...s_1983_1985%2F You may be able to find that serial in there if the guitar is old enough.

EDIT: Well, it seems the database only goes to 1002, and are "J" serials. Sorry.
    Last edited by Twitch; 08-25-2011, 11:17 AM.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Thanks for the effort! If I need to, I can remove the neck and see what's written under it... Maybe someone else will chime in later. Do you know the name of the body style?

Comment

hard to say for sure but looks late 86-87. dimas era type body routes, should be a date on the stamp under the trem springs. if not the heal of the neck & neck pocket should be dated. still has a floyd tru bolt locking nut, is the humbucker route oversized or normal size. I for one dont really believe the Jackson serial# chart saying 1001-1505 were the only 86' boltons. ive owned 3 that didnt conform to that.

Comment

I will check the dates tonight and post pictures tomorrow..
          I would love to restore her back to original.. Going to need to find out what kind of pick-ups are missing...
          Thanks for the help
          Ruben

Comment

Well, I'm no expert but according to

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/suppor...ductdating.php

it's somewhere from 1986 - 1989 at the Ontario California factory

although I guess there's a slight chance it could be an '86 San Dimas (Glendora technically).
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by sa8n View Post
              Thanks for the effort! If I need to, I can remove the neck and see what's written under it... Maybe someone else will chime in later. Do you know the name of the body style?
              Body style is "Strat".
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Here are some pic's of the neck off,... Brian Hall 4-17-87, also very faintly 0454 V3M & a circled P. I don't know what the #'s on the back of the neck mean 0454 OBD...? But the color is written on the back of the body with red /w blue pearl and a # that looks to read 20454 and V3M with a circled P.... I read that the San Dimas plant closed in 1986 and my guitar neck says april 1987,..... So do you guys think this baby was assembled in San Dimas?

Comment

By April of '87 the factory was in Ontario. Here's the 1987 brochure page for Strat Body:

http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...1987Page06.jpg
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

V3M - Volume & 3 mini switches
                    OBD - Oiled neck, black headstock, decal logo

dont know what the circled P means, the other numbers would be related to the work order i believe

Comment

Originally posted by sa8n View Post
                      I read that the San Dimas plant closed in 1986 and my guitar neck says april 1987,..... So do you guys think this baby was assembled in San Dimas?
                      Well, based on the '87 date in the pocket and neck, it most likely was assembled in Ontario. It is quite possible the body and neck was initially made in the Glendora plant, but it likely was finished/assembled in Ontario.

The smaller electronics cavity route makes me suspect it was routed in Glendora, but I really don't think there's a way to prove it. Also, where they indicated the color in the trem route area, they later used a template with lines where they wrote the color and electronics configuration. this doesn't have that, which may indicate it was made earlier. Lastly, the Floyd nut was drilled completely thru the neck, which I thought was discontinued in '87, but I can't confirm this...I'm just going by what I have normally seen.

So it might have been conceived in Glendora, but it was born in Ontario...

Honestly, it shouldn't make a difference, it's a great guitar regardless.
                      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Nice looking strat! All the chrome hardware looks suspicious to me. The original pups were J100/J100/J???'s.

Comment

Probably a J80C or J90C bridge. Probably....
                          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Thank you for all your input everyone! Regardless what plant made it, it is still a U.S.A made guitar, and a great guitar to play! I have fond memories of giging with it. At the time my little brother and I purchased it, A good friend had a bengal San Dimas and a snake skin San Dimas Charvel,...he told us that they were hard to find,...and that was 20yrs ago! So imagine my excitment when we walked into the Guitar Center a few weeks later and found it hanging on the wall with all the other used guitars! Good times!
                            Ruben

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
                              Lastly, the Floyd nut was drilled completely thru the neck, which I thought was discontinued in '87, but I can't confirm this...I'm just going by what I have normally seen.
                              I own an '88 with the drilled nut, and I've seen plenty of "production"-era guitars with them all the way through, too. I don't think this changed until the mid-90s.
                              Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Working...
                              X