Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heavily modded Jackson I just got my hands on...(pic heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavily modded Jackson I just got my hands on...(pic heavy)

OK, so here is the backstory:

My cousin is a musician who has cut several albums. He has worked with George Lynch, Kelly Keely, Carmine Appice, Don Dokken, Yngwie Malmsteen, and a bunch of other guys. He was given this guitar by a well known guitarist, and my cousin said this guitarist did all the mods himself. I don't have undisputed proof that this was owned by the guitarist my cousin said gave it to him, so I am not going to say until I have further proof.

I am taking it apart, cleaning it up, and setting it up for him, and we are thinking about sending it of to Mike Learn to get it painted.

Anyway, there is some stuff on here that I have never seen. First, I know it is a 2003 DXMG and should be in the Import section, but I thought I would get more views here, and this post isn't really about the model anyway, but the modifications.

Ok, here is the guitar:

As you can see, those metal strips were added, as well as the mini switches. The knobs have been changed, as have the truss rod cover.

First question, have any of you seen a Floyd Rose like that? Here are some closer pics of it:

It looks to me like that cross member was tack welded into place. It has a much heavier trem arm and post, and not in the normal place. He also changed all the Allen wrench heads and the fine tuner heads with Torix bolts. Doesn't make for easy string changes or tuning.

Here is the back:

The trem cover is now metal, cut to fit the original cavity cover, but with the window cut out. The trem also has a brass block installed.

I have no idea where that electronics cavity cover comes from. It is bigger than the original, and not flush with the body. The speaker looking assembly serves no purpose I can discern.

Interior of the electronics cavity:

OK, so you can see where the original cavity cover used to be. And obviously where the holes for the mini switches and the moved tuner knob. I think he must have originally put the switch in just to the right of the mini switch in the bottom drilled hole. You can see the end of a Torix bolt in there, and can see the head on the pic of the front.

Anyway, all kinds of neat little mods and metal work on this baby. So, in closing, I guess my question is is that FR something anyone has seen stock, or am I right in thinking he made some mods to the bridge itself?
    1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom
    Jackson SLATQH
    Jackson DK2M Inferno Red
    Jackson DK2M With a Learn Custom Paint Job
    Jackson DKMGT (project)
    Kramer Focus 1000
    Ibanez SDGR Bass
    Ovation Celebrity
    Martin Backpacker

Also, here is the link for the photobucket album that has more pics in it.

LINK
    1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom
    Jackson SLATQH
    Jackson DK2M Inferno Red
    Jackson DK2M With a Learn Custom Paint Job
    Jackson DKMGT (project)
    Kramer Focus 1000
    Ibanez SDGR Bass
    Ovation Celebrity
    Martin Backpacker

Comment

The more I look at the bridge, the more I think it's the original JT-580LP with heavy mods.

Comment

Kahlered JT-580?
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
          Kahlered JT-580?
          That's what it looks like innit?
          It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
          ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

yikes. that thing is half cool, half beastly. almost seems if it is a dr. newcenstein creation....
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

pretty odd, and cool. I wouldn't touch it or paint it or anything. They were obviously someone who liked tooling around with metal and shit or whatever as a hobby or on the side. Maybe it was not actually complete in it's final vision, or just something to fuck around on. Kind of a cool mystery - hope you find out more about it.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                The more I look at the bridge, the more I think it's the original JT-580LP with heavy mods.
                Yeah it looks like a JT-580LP with an industrial strengh trem-bar

Comment

I don't know much about art, but I like that
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

That is a total waste of a guitar. It wasn't that good to begin with, and someone added metal and bolted down the trem. Nothing really good or worthy about that. Are you sure this is a guitarist in the same league as the super stars you mentioned above? I can't imagine anyone thinking that is pro.
                    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                    Gotta get away from here.
                    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Well if it wasn't that good to begin with then how is it a total waste? It's still a functioning guitar, you just don't like the way it looks. *shrug

Comment

I think it's kind of cool. Most of it is well done. Like that metal work.
                        I don't really understand that big-ass route for a mini-switch inside that cavity though.
                        "Need to install this mini-switch, but all I have is this 1-inch drill bit. Oh well, here goes!"

...Am I the only one who thinks that trem arm looks like a bent ratchet?
                        My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

I'm kinda with Joe on this one - it looks like what a rich man with mental illness would put together.
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Ugh!
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
                              That's what it looks like innit?
                              Doesn't it? Yes it does.
                              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                              X