Opinions on refin for Charvel Model 5A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on refin for Charvel Model 5A

Okay, since I've listed it in the Classifieds a few times and nobody's wanted it, I think I'm going to keep it, and I've been thinking of refinning it.
    It's an '88 Black Cherry Model 5A (one humbucker/one volume, JT6 trem). I want an Original Floyd on it, so I'll probably have new Floyd posts drilled instead of the ones for the JT6, blue/gray snakeskin graphic. And I'm thinking of having a neck single coil pup added. The pickups will probably be blue/black DiMarzios (either a Tone Zone or Norton for the bridge, not sure about neck pup yet). Should I keep the Kahler-type lock behind the nut and also get Sperzel tuners or should I have the nut routed for a regular Floyd nut? Also, should I keep the rosewood board with dot inlays or should I add sharkfins, possibly even an ebony or maple board? I'll probably send it to GMW to have done, but I'd like some opinions and advice on this. Thanks guys! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'm thinking the body will be similar to this with just a little more gray added.

[ July 24, 2003, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: toejam ]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Opinions on refin for Charvel Model 5A

I am getting my GMW next week with the same graphic but in Purple/Grey.

Comment

Ok, first things first, can I have the JT6 inserts when you have them taken out? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

1-Please don't ruin the 5a by adding a neck pickup ok? Maybe you could find a 5fx instead? It just seems like such a waste but it is your guitar so I'll shut up about that. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

2-I think you should go with a new routed floyd nut instead of dealing with a kahler locking unit and the original nut and the Sperzels. Just seems like a lot more problems to me.

3-This depends I guess on how much money you want to spend. I think it would look great with the maple board and black fins. If not maple, I would try to get the fins or maybe they have custom inlays in stock that might go with the "snake" theme?

4- Love the snakeskin graphic but I like them when they are the silver/gray or the shades of brown/beige variety. I do think with a little more gray with the blue, you'll have a winner!

Hope that helps!!

Dave->
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Hey mulder, how long has GMW had your guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by budman68:
          Ok, first things first, can I have the JT6 inserts when you have them taken out? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

1-Please don't ruin the 5a by adding a neck pickup ok? Maybe you could find a 5fx instead? It just seems like such a waste but it is your guitar so I'll shut up about that. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

2-I think you should go with a new routed floyd nut instead of dealing with a kahler locking unit and the original nut and the Sperzels. Just seems like a lot more problems to me.

3-This depends I guess on how much money you want to spend. I think it would look great with the maple board and black fins. If not maple, I would try to get the fins or maybe they have custom inlays in stock that might go with the "snake" theme?

4- Love the snakeskin graphic but I like them when they are the silver/gray or the shades of brown/beige variety. I do think with a little more gray with the blue, you'll have a winner!

Hope that helps!!

Dave->
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks, Dave. It helps! Yes, you can have the inserts whenever I eventually decide to get this project moving. As for the neck pup, I'm still up in the air about that, but then again, the 5FX were originally 5A models that Jackson had left over and decided to add neck pups to. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] And blue is my favorite color, but for snakeskin I think the guitar is a little too blue, that's why I want a little more gray in it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hmm, now that I think about it, WarriorX7 said he's got the mesh and likes to do snakeskin, so maybe I'll have him do it since he's local. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ July 24, 2003, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]

Comment

Originally posted by mulder1966:
            I am getting my GMW next week with the same graphic but in Purple/Grey.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mmm, sounds yummy. Post pics and details when it's done! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
              Hmm, now that I think about it, WarriorX7 said he's got the mesh and likes to do snakeskin, so maybe I'll have him do it since he's local. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Do you have any examples of the work he does? I might be interested in talking with him too.
              Thanks!
              Dave->
              Dave ->

Comment

Having the fretboard replaced is expensive from what I've heard.

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yeah, I remember hearing something about that, too, Newc, so I'll most likely scratch that idea.

Comment

Originally posted by budman68:
                    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by toejam:
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Do you have any examples of the work he does? I might be interested in talking with him too.
                    Thanks!
                    Dave->
                    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Here's his website. http://www.sonic-designs.com/
                    He's also doing a King V refin for someone on this board (Youngguitarist, maybe?), and he did a bullseye on Newc's Explorer, filled the Kahler route and new inlays put in. I saw the guitar when he first got it but never saw the final product. Newc, got a pic of that?

Comment

Thanks so much Joe!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Dave->
                      Dave ->

Comment

No problem! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Pics of the Bullseye Explorer [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

And the rest: http://autumn-frost.com/Explorer

The back was left natural, as was the neck. He did Tung oil the neck and seal the back (oiled as well?)

I also had him put block inlays on and ebonize the fretboard, but because the rosewood was so light, it didn't come out as seamlessly as a darker rosewood would. Still looks authentic from a few feet away [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The rings are die-cut decals over a white base, and you can feel them under the polycoat, but they aren't in danger of peeling or anything.

Now all I need is to have some taller frets put on (it's got Gibson "Fretless Wonder" frets, and after playing Jacksons for so long, feeling the board under the string slows me down [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

Newc

[ July 24, 2003, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Newc ]
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I ordered it around July 1st. Lee said it was way ahead of schedule. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] It's like waiting for X-MAS morning [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Having the fretboard replaced is expensive from what I've heard.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I talked to Lee about replacing a fretboard, $200 +.

Comment

Working...
                              X