If you own a DKMG AND a WR1.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you own a DKMG AND a WR1.....

Okay, I've had some concerns about getting a Warrior because of it having a thinner neck profile than a Soloist. I bought an SLSMG recently and it was WAY too thin for me. I bought it sight-unseen, which was a mistake. I bought a DKMGT locally yesterday and the neck feels great.

Now here's the kicker: if I were to get a Warrior, it would also have to be sight-unseen, thanks to my sorry-assed local Guitar Center never having any USA's.

According to Jackson's website, the DKMGT and WR1 have the exact same neck profile, down to every spec. So if the WR1's neck is the dimensions of the DKMGT's neck, I can live with that.

So my question is, do the necks on the WR1 and DKMG or DKMGT feel the same?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

how do you know that they have the same neck dimensions, all the details are absent from the guitar spec sheets. like the pickup configurations. the jackson website really is a true inconvenience!! im in the same situation i have a DKMG Blue swirl and am ordering a WR1 CS soon, but i have never even seen one in person because of my location, luckily my bro has a KV2 tho so i have a rough idea as to what it will feel like.

Comment

Um, I don't want to burst your bubble but the SLSMG and DKMGT both have a .735 (1st) - .810 (12th) neck thickness, so I can't comprehend how one would feel thicker than the other.

I believe the WR1 has the same as the KV2 and KE2, the infamous Jackson "speed" neck at .775 - .835.
      I <3 DR Strings.

2007 Jackson KV2
      2006 Schecter C1 Blackjack
      Randall RG75G2
      Line 6 PODxt

Comment

I've played both guitars, and every Dinky I've played (DKMG, DK2, DX10D) has a thinner neck than the Warrior, be it a WRMG or WR1.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
          I've played both guitars, and every Dinky I've played (DKMG, DK2, DX10D) has a thinner neck than the Warrior, be it a WRMG or WR1.
          so does the WR1 have the exact same neck as the USA KV2?

Comment

I've never played a KV2.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

As fate would have it, I had a WR1 and a KV2 at the same time (and sold them both at the same time - fate is indeed an odd bitch )

The necks are/were identical - far too wide for me
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by KingVee View Post
                Um, I don't want to burst your bubble but the SLSMG and DKMGT both have a .735 (1st) - .810 (12th) neck thickness, so I can't comprehend how one would feel thicker than the other.

I believe the WR1 has the same as the KV2 and KE2, the infamous Jackson "speed" neck at .775 - .835.
                Okay, I got confused. The neck radius is the same but they don't list the thickness. My mistake.

But I'm totally positive that the DKMGT neck feels noticeably thicker than the SLSMG did.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                  Okay, I got confused. The neck radius is the same but they don't list the thickness. My mistake.

But I'm totally positive that the DKMGT neck feels noticeably thicker than the SLSMG did.
                  If anything, to be honest, I would say the SLSMG is thicker in a very minimal way because it's a painted neck while the DKMGT is clear. I'd say the feel may not be attributed to dimensions but more from the finish. I don't remember the feel of a clear neck as it's been a freakin' long while since I've seen a bolt-on (don't think that I'm hating on them) but I believe the clear ones do not have finish over the binding whereas a painted neck has its clearcoat topped over the binding. I could be totally wrong, but that would be enough to change the feel as far as I'm concerned.

But you know, it's like anything else... There maybe were a few thousands or hundreds of difference between both of the ones you tried. Nothing's perfect to spec everytime.
                  Last edited by KingVee; 06-05-2011, 10:16 PM.
                  I <3 DR Strings.

2007 Jackson KV2
                  2006 Schecter C1 Blackjack
                  Randall RG75G2
                  Line 6 PODxt

Comment

Originally posted by KingVee View Post
                    If anything, to be honest, I would say the SLSMG is thicker in a very minimal way because it's a painted neck while the DKMGT is clear. I'd say the feel may not be attributed to dimensions but more from the finish. I don't remember the feel of a clear neck as it's been a freakin' long while since I've seen a bolt-on (don't think that I'm hating on them) but I believe the clear ones do not have finish over the binding whereas a painted neck has its clearcoat topped over the binding. I could be totally wrong, but that would be enough to change the feel as far as I'm concerned.

But you know, it's like anything else... There maybe were a few thousands or hundreds of difference between both of the ones you tried. Nothing's perfect to spec everytime.
                    Here's the thing, though; every DKMG/DKMGT I've played has had an excellent feel. The SLSMG, painted neck and all, felt like one of those ultra-thin Ibanez necks. So I'm trying to crack this mystery.

Comment

I don't about the DKMGT, but I have two DXMGs, two WRMGs and one WR1, and the WR1 has definitely the thinner and more comfortable neck than the rest.
                      Now, I'm only guessing/assuming here that the WRMG has a similar neck of the DKMG/T, if this is the case, I'd say the WR1 has still the thinner neck. (Rights a note to buy a gauge)
                      -Metal wouldn't be the same without Pointy guitars-

Comment

Working...
                      X