Someone please convince me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone please convince me!

I'm trying to save up for a brand new KE2, and I have been looking at this Japanese Kelly Stars which has identical specs to the KE2, but for HALF the price. It's used of course [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Now could someone PLEASE tell me why I should wait a year and save my money so that I can afford the KE2 instead of just buying the Japanese version(which I have the cash to buy next month)

Thanx a million

Thoraby

Re: Someone please convince me!

I've got a JacksonStars Archtop Soloist, and comparing it to my 1990 Professional Soloist (same as a 1990 USA SL), there's a reason these are Japanese-only - total quality all over it. No cheap components here, that's for sure. Genuine Schaller Floyd, USA Duncans, mahognay and maple, not basswood and photoflame.
    I've got some info coming (thanks to Brooks) on JacksonStars, and if I read the pics in the listing correctly, the JacksonStars WERE actually made in the Ontario shop for Japan.

I really need to get someone from Jackson to give the skinny on those.

But IMO the only reason to get a USA KE2 over the JacksonStars would be for the USA logo and warranty service - otherwise you'd have to send it to Japan.
    Did you hear back from Ishibashi about that Kelly? I got no reply from them about that 24 fret Rhoads.

Newc

[ July 23, 2003, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: Newc ]
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

newc, they may have been, as i've seen grover jacksons in the us shop.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Newc: not helping [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] !!!!!

But IF they're made in Ontario, I'm gonna be ALL OVER IT!!!!! SO please keep me posted if you get a confirmation from the JAckson guys, ok?

Thanx a million

Comment

Ah crap.... I've read Newc's post about 10 times now, and every time I read it, I want that Japanese Kelly even more. I even found a Grover Jackson with the same specs but cheaper then the Star.

Damn you Newc [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

If they both ARE made in USA, but one's cheaper in price, what's the problem? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Stop it, you're killing me! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I've only got 285 $.

The guitar costs 850 $(complete with shipping to sweden and swedish tax and all that crap)

SO the Grover Jacksons are made in Ontario too?

Thanx a million

Thoraby

Comment

From what I understand SOME of the JacksonSTARS were made here, and some of them over there. I think a tell tale sign would be if there is a "Made in USA" or "USA" on the headstock.
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Ok, I just got some info from a very reliable source (who shall remain anonymous) that most, if not all, the Jackson Stars models are/were made in Ontario, OR they were made in Japan and finished in Ontario. Some were built in Japan and finished (paint/graphic'd) in Ontario and others were built and finished here and shipped to Japan. A lot of the Grovers were done this way also [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc

[ July 24, 2003, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: Newc ]

Comment

Originally posted by Thoraby:
                    Stop it, you're killing me! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I've only got 285 $.

The guitar costs 850 $(complete with shipping to sweden and swedish tax and all that crap)

Thoraby
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Kelly star costs $850 in total ?

Interesting...I live in Sweden too

Do ya know what the KE2 would cost in total to get to sweden + the taxes and all ?

Comment

Newc, you just made my day [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Bob, it will cost app. 15000 kr if you order from matt(onlinestagegear)

The estimate is very rough though, but it should be quite close if you order a 1299 dollar Kelly [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ July 24, 2003, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: Thoraby ]

Comment

Bob, 15000 kr is 1849,71 US dollars. The tax is 28% of whatever the product+shipping costs [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

heh I went with the lazy-ass way of calculating it... where 1 dollar is worth 10 kr

But your way is alot better [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Currency calculator

http://www.xe.com/ucc/
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I used Forex

Although it IS in Swedish... [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X