Jackson 2003 Catalog Scanned and Online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jackson 2003 Catalog Scanned and Online

I think some folks are making a lot out of this, for fear that this expected new 24 fret model is going to replace the current USA RR1. Who ever said that would happen? It's not necessarily the case.

That said, through the years there have already been several variations of the USA Rhoads model that were "unoriginal" to Randy's guitars. RR2? XTRR? Heck, neither of Randy's guitars had a Floyd. I don't see many people crying to get rid of the Floyds on the RR1, because Randy never had one. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'm not saying dump tradition entirely. Certainly the model should stay reasonably true to Randy's original vision. But where do you draw the line? To me, adding 2 frets and going rear-loaded are not big deals.

Comment

We could go rounds about the design and messing with it. From a purist point of view I would think if it wasn't dead on to the original, then it just isn't right. And that goes for more than just putting a Floyd on it (inlay size, pickups, binding, etc etc.) Besides through the '80s the model wasn't a standard production model, so people could get whatever they wanted (Floyd, Khaler, Dot inlays, etc). So when Jackson desided to do a production model they went with the basic design and style, but went with the features that were most commonly wanted to keep costs down.
      My current opinion would be to offer two models a 24 fret Floyd version and a 22 fret string-thru version. I think most people would buy a 24 fret model and in actuallity it is the purists that are the minority. As stated earlier in this post most of the guitar buying public (kids) were born after Randy died and have little to no clue about him or his music.
      KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
      I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Whatever. That is why I said MY OPINION. I wasn't implying they would change the model to have 24 frets exclusively. I just think it's better with 22.

Lerx, as for your analogy concerning distortions, you're right...Randy's would probably not be using ANY distortion today - he'd be playing his classical... [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Very cool catalog. There should be a lot of happy people now. In the beginning...... we all whined and *****ed as Fender took over and we asked for 3 things:

1. Bring back stratheads
          2. Bring back Mike Shannon
          3. Get rid of DFW

Fender did all 3. My hats off too them [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I hope they can edit some of the inaccuarcies in the catalog before it goes into production. You guys missed some [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Page 2: The Jackson Story
          "These instruments featured 22 jumbo frets..." should read "21 jumbo frets"

"In 1980 Jackson moved to a larger facility in San Dimas, California" ????

Comment

I'm a bit lost here...
            What's DFW?

Comment

nice catch...i did kinda chuckle at the SD part, but the alzheimer's kicked in...whatcha gonna do?

i'm assuming these cats are in full production, so i'm guessing they'll stay as they are.

and to add on the bringing back mike shannon part, i've been told that mike eldred is back at the shop, too.

sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by agresivo:
                I'm a bit lost here...
                What's DFW?
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Donnie (Fukkin) Wade
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
                  I'd bet he wouldn't be using an MXR Distortion+ today if he were still around, since there's so many better distortions made
                  today.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I would hope he wouldn't be using that MXR thing today. Randy's tone was kinda craptacular, IMO. [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] He was an awesome guitar player, no doubt about it, but his tone needed some help.

Also, how come there's never really been any mention on how the Kelly got its name? (Brad Kelly from '80s Australian band Heaven sat down with Grover Jackson and came up with the idea for the pointy/special Explorer)... not to mention it went through two bigger sizes before becoming the smaller version it is today that Marty Friedman wanted downsized.

[ July 25, 2003, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: toejam ]

Comment

Well, live his tone was better, but his recorded album tone was a little thin and crappy, and I know I'm not the only one who thinks that.

Comment

Thanks very much!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I think I like pages 24 and 25 the best [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I agree that Randy's recorded rhythm tone was definitely poor - the producer seemed to focus more on the keyboards/harmony than what was going on guitar-wise. Oh well, when you're on the Cutting Edge like that, there's bound to be something lost. I'd love to have a shot at the master tapes and shape Randy's tone a bit better.

Newc
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Crowe:
                            3. Get rid of DFW

Fender did all 3. My hats off too them [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">When did that happen? I assume Shannon asked for that?
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Crowe:

"In 1980 Jackson moved to a larger facility in San Dimas, California" ????
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, shouldn't that be Glendora, California?

I visited that facility recently....
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                                Randy's tone was kinda craptacular, IMO. [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] He was an awesome guitar player, no doubt about it, but his tone needed some help.
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Toe, I usually agree with you on most stuff, but holy sh!t....that is just blasphemous to say that. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I thought his tone was highly unique and very distinctive. His live sound was amazing, as well. I was fortunate enough to have seen him live, and believe me, it gave you goosebumps. In fact, I remember reading Paul Gilbert and Dweezil Zappa both said how his tone was the most awesome live sound they had ever heard...

Comment

Working...
                                X