Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate Music Store weenie ass Clerks

[img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]
    Well, this is SORTA Jackson/Charvel related.

So I'm in my local *used* music shop.. They're big on vintage gear, you know expensive fenders in bad shape, and crappy-ass 60's guitars you used to smash for fun as a kid....

On the wall are a couple of RR3s.. I ask the guy behind the counter about them and he says " Oh, I wouldn't know anything about those guitars.."

"I see." I said, " If it doesn't say fender on it, you don't play it.."

"Yea.." he says.." "I don't know about Jacksons or Dokken or Cinderella.."

He's laughing as he says this, winking at his pal, who happens to think the last decent guitar was made in 1968.

It made me angry.. It made me angry because they were my age, yet clearly couldn't distinguish between bad image decisions and supurb musicianship, both of which filled that era..

It made me angry that they were so smug and comfortable in the fantasy that 8 chords and a crunchy tone played on a $5000.00 museum peice made them guitar players.

I didn't point out that while I was never a huge Cinderella fan, they could carry a tune and they used Gibson and Fenders, not Jacksons..

I also failed to point out that George Lynch could play circles around both of them, 20 of their buddies AND make an ESP sound good...

I certainly didn't point out that Jackson existed because some of the best technical virtuosos of the electric guitar wanted a guitar that was technicaly superior to what was available at the time, and that included their priceless Fenders and Gibsons and Gretches sitting on the wall.

Instead I pointed to the RR3 and said.. "It's too bad you can't tell me about that guitar.. I wanted to buy it.."

And I walked out.

Dickheads, each and everyone.... [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

[ July 09, 2003, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: 2Loud2Old ]

Re: I hate Music Store weenie ass Clerks

Well said, damn right.

This is Blacklabel.
    This Is Blacklabel.

Comment

Nicely done.

Comment

How much were they, and what did you want to know about them?
        Don't let douchebags stop you from enjoying Jacksons - use thier ignorance to talk the price down.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

You handled it much better than I would
          have! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

I'd have asked them if they both got their lobotomies at the same place! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
            How much were they, and what did you want to know about them?
            Don't let douchebags stop you from enjoying Jacksons - use thier ignorance to talk the price down.

Newc
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I used that as a way of voicing my displeasure. IThe prices were ridiculous. $495.00 Cdn for the Black one, and it had 3 small dents in the face of the body.. $850.00 for the trans-red.

They had another RR, one that had dots.. RR PRO STD.. on the truss rod cover.. or maybe just RR STD.. or RR PRO..

I'm not sure what year they were, one was a trans-red with that horrid (to me anyway) satin chrome hardware, the other ws the same, except black with a reverse headstock.

Both had sharkfins, no bindings. (I'm fairly sure they were RR3s.. I'm not up on RR Models tho.)

Comment

I'm with Newc on that one. Most people at stores think J/C guitars are worthless and that they don't really compare to a Gibson, Fender, or any brand like that. Their wrong; Plan out and simple. Last year when i was visiting relative's in New York, i decided to take alook in the GC there. I did, and in "used" room i saw a Charvel 650xl in mint condition for $300, i knew that the bozo's there thought of that guitar as worthless, so i talked the idiot down to $265!!! For a 650xl!! Their stupidity is your gain! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ July 09, 2003, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: john ]

Comment

Originally posted by 2Loud2Old:
                I used that as a way of voicing my displeasure.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">And they didn't really care. You weren't buying "their favorite", so they see it as no loss to them. The best revenge is to talk them down, then resell on Ebay for more; The stupid are always prey for the smart.

Newc

[ July 09, 2003, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Newc ]
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I can't work out why they can't see the difference and how good Charvel/Jackson really are?...all hair band and 80's thoughts aside, that 650XL should have looked like a solid, well playing guitar that's also neckthru and has a great trem on it...add the bound neck and sharkfins and it's a great package? How does that compare to a Jizzmaster that feels and plays like ass if you wanna do more than strum a beatles tune? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I was in a little store in Tempe owned by a Vintage Snob that had all the qualities detailed in 2L2O's first post.
                    He was an OK guy, and we were BS-ing for a few minutes about trade-ins he gets and whatnot when I mentioned Old Charvels to him.
                    He made some remark about "...watching out for the plywood on those..."

I make it a point to stop by there once a month at least.

Comment

Nicely handled, man.

I must be really lucky, because on the coast here a lot of people love Jacksons.

Comment

Well done, indeed, 2L2O. That's probably the best defense of Jacksons I've ever heard. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I wouldn't abandon that shop by any means. One of my best guitar bargains was a `91 Hamer Californian Elite for $450, a little faded binding and trem repair the only thing keeping it from mint condition. The guy at the shop said "we aren't into heavy metal guitars" or something to that effect.
                          sigpic

Comment

Yeah i understand that as a Jackson/Charvel freak it sometimes is hard to deal with the ignorance of some people who only like guitars with Fender or Gibson written on the headstock, no matter what the actual quality of the guitar is.

But on the other hand: Why defend Jackson/Charvel ? I always sort of feel that a quality product doesn't need any kind of defense. A Jackson is a quality guitar so why defending it ? If those people think Jacksons are bad guitar it's their loss and our gain.
                            It's the same with music. I am really grateful that there are so few people listening to the same music as i am. Otherwise i would have to deal with all the idiots argueing about the music. With being so unpopular only the dedicated people are intersted in it which makes it a much "higher quality" bunch of people.
                            The same thing with Jackson/Charvel guitars. Imagine Jackson would be THE guitar brand. That means we would have to deal with +10k prices of some "magic" years of production guitars. And we would have to deal with vintage snobs.
                            Or if Jackson would be the first choice of every nu rock/metal band we would have to deal with all those stupid 13-14 years old who would only play a year since after that time they would run after another trend.

So a big [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] to all my fellow Jackson/Charvel freaks for being the dedicated and "higher quality" bunch of people enjoying those fine instruments [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Flo
                            http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Here's another thing the vintage snobs forget:

There is a definite difference between an old Strat that has been played consistently in clubs for 30 years vs. a "collector's piece" that has been passed from one collector to another for 30 years and never played.

They also don't seem to understand that, as the poster above pointed out, Jackson came to be because players weren't getting what they wanted with even the best Fenders and Gibsons of the day. Frankly, I STILL don't think those brands give us what we want.
                              Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Working...
                              X