Silly fantasy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly fantasy

Ok, here is my idea... say you want to make a Jackson blues machine. Any of the shapes we know and love, could be a Soloist or a Warrior or whatever and you can put a single coil in the neck position regardless. Jackson looks and feel, one of the normal Jackson necks.

How would you go about making it as close to a proper blues guitar as possible? Pickups? Wood? Bridge? Action?

Hard tail, brass nut, locking tuners, high action (glass slide), strat ash body, pick guard, HSS or HS, oiled maple neck, bolt-on. Through a Quad Reverb

Choice of pickups... decisions decisions...
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I don't know what makes a guitar a blues guitar. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
        As the title suggests, don't take this too seriously

Comment

I'd bet a good blues player could use just about any guitar and make it sound good. That said, the front single on my DK2 is passable for some strat tones, and I sure appreciate the playability...waaay easier than my 52ri tele. I think a Fender single coil like their 57 would get it closer, but the pickup location probably makes a difference too. Probably not happening on a 24 fret dinky body with a floyd.

Comment

being a blues-based player, i'd have to say if i was going to order a custom-shop jackson to bring out the blues even more i would order:

alder strat body, 1 5/8" thick, contoured heel
            top route, HSH
            thin nitro mary kaye finish
            top mount jack

maple neck, PC-1 thickness
            rosewood fretboard, 22 frets, 6125 frets, 7.25 radius
            1 5/8" bone nut
            reverse srat head

gold reverse kluson tuners
            brass charvel v-trem
            brass jackplate

tortoise shell pickguard
            HSS config.
            SD seth lover in the bridge
            SD antiquity strat in the middle/neck
            1 vol, 2 tone - 1 tone for neck, 1 tone for bridge
            3 way switch for bridge/neck + bridge/neck
            mini toggle as on/off for middle

here's a mock-up:

GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I used my RR3 for jazz. I'd get up on stage with my guitar teacher, wearing my satanic-shirts, flip on the neck position and bam, play some jazz.

Comment

at my job we are about to order a batcaster ( a surfcaster with a bat f-hole) but it will be a Jackson not a Charvel
                we are going to but 2 lipsticks in the neck pos and a jb in the bridge that will tap to a single coil, the lipstics will be wired with a mini-toggle to be wired
                as a hum. so with that you can run that guitar with 3 singles, 2 hums, or Sh or hs,
                inlays and some mike learn paint to boot!

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  The person playin it !
                  http://www.reverbnation.com/#/themightypragmatics

Comment

Originally posted by MetalHeadMat View Post
                    I used my RR3 for jazz. I'd get up on stage with my guitar teacher, wearing my satanic-shirts, flip on the neck position and bam, play some jazz.
                    Throw some sick jazz riffs

Comment

My RR1T can get some great clean blues tones, especially with the neck SH-2. Custom in the bridge is great for the overdriven tones. As was said earlier, the player is really what makes a guitar a blues guitar.
                      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

http://www.bluesrevue.com/editor/current.html

Check out the "BLUES MUSIC AWARDS" picture, bottom right

Find the BC Rich Warlock - can't get anymore bluesy than that!!!

But since alot of people associate blues with strats, you'd want the "Stratiest" Jackson they could make:

3 single coils, higher action, vintage trem, strat head, alder body, maple neck, rosewood board, add some giant SRV letters and your good to go!!!!

P.S. actually I've been playing (my pointy Charvel 575) bass at blues jams the past year and one of my favorites guitarist to play with is a shameless SRV clone, so I don't want too sound to much of a cynical smarta## about blues culture.

My feeling is even though there are certainly brands and types of guitars associated with certain styles, I think a solid body with a HSH can approximate the different tones associated with Jazz, Blues, Rock and Metal given a flexible amp and a knowledge of the techniques of those style.
                        Last edited by tanpsi; 10-10-2010, 09:11 AM.

Comment

ash body, Maple neck, 3SC, Strathead, tune-o-matic (The best blues was on semi-hollows - No trem on those!) Throw on a maple or Ebony board. if you're getting a Jackson you want some improvements over a stock strat, right?
                          I like EL34s.

Comment

Working...
                          X