Rhoads Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Newc View Post
    The SGs and Gibby Vs that were made where the 22nd fret is right at the edge of the body play a lot more smoothly than the models where the 21st and 22nd fret are "in" the body.
    But SGs FEEL weird as a result of that! I just traded an SG for that exact reason. I'd rather have the feel of a 24 fret Jackson than an SG. Granted it makes the neck tone harder to get right, but it's a fair trade-off IMO. (After trying various Seymour Duncans in the neck position of my KE3 I ended up putting an Epiphone bridge pickup in it, it's the best one I've tried!)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

The only time I need 24 frets is when playing the Holy Wars solo. But I still like 24 frets on my soloist because it makes the rest of the frets more accessible because the fretboard is further away from the bridge.

And unlike some I don't like the slightly mushy tone you get with the neck pickup at the second octave.

As for why RR1 is the only USA model with 22 frets? I don't know. It could be a combination of wanting people to go custom shop(or JS series before RR24 came out...), laziness of not upgrading the product line or wanting to keep with the tradition. The last one is a bit finicky one considering the guitars are very different than the ones Randy ever played.

Comment

what about the scale length? Didn't randy have his PV and Concord built around his LP? They all have the LP control layout so I would assume they are all 24-3/4 scale as well and not 25.5

Comment

You guys see my point. Randy's original V's were radically different than the current Rhoads models, yet they won't make a 24-fret RR1 because "Randy's was a 22-fret." It makes no sense.

Either way, there's an RR1 here locally and I've thought about trading my SL1 against it.
          Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
            You guys see my point. Randy's original V's were radically different than the current Rhoads models, yet they won't make a 24-fret RR1 because "Randy's was a 22-fret." It makes no sense.

Either way, there's an RR1 here locally and I've thought about trading my SL1 against it.
            No no no no and no. stick with the SL1.
            I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
              No no no no and no. stick with the SL1.
              Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. What I really want is a USA Warrior, but I may as well be looking for Jimmy Hoffa's shoes around here.
              Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I had a USA custom shop warrior for
                Almost 5 years & sold it
                It's not all that , I found
                The 90's Warrior Pro
                To be a much better guitar.
                Just ask charvel750 LoL
                According To The Prophecy

Comment

Originally posted by Drake S. View Post
                  I had a USA custom shop warrior for
                  Almost 5 years & sold it
                  It's not all that , I found
                  The 90's Warrior Pro
                  To be a much better guitar.
                  Just ask charvel750 LoL
                  If you don't mind me asking, why do you like the Warrior Pro better?

Comment

Originally posted by z1n View Post
                    what about the scale length? Didn't randy have his PV and Concord built around his LP? They all have the LP control layout so I would assume they are all 24-3/4 scale as well and not 25.5
                    The Les Paul should be 24.75" scale. I thought that Karl Sandoval had stated that the original Polka Dot V neck was made from an existing Danelectro neck. From all of the documentation I have seen on the Danelectros, they are a 25" scale. So, sounds like all three of those guitars are different scale lengths.

Comment

Over all feel & playability of the neck plus
                      Tone. The USA was heavier
                      & having the words Custom shop
                      On the headstock shouldn't
                      Cost you an extra grand
                      & change . Over all it just felt
                      & sounded better to me to play
                      Especially live. I'm 6'6 I
                      Don't want something weighing
                      Me down while trying to do a gig.
                      I had 2 pro's & the USA at
                      The same time , 1 pro had
                      A hum put in the bridge the
                      Other original. So I could compare
                      All 3 together . I loved the
                      Modified 1 the most, I'm prefer
                      The hum / single set up

Comment

Originally posted by Drake S. View Post
                        I'm 6'6
                        Did you shrink? I thought you were 6'8"
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Nope been 6'6 since I was 14 just up on
                          The pounds at 260

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                            Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. What I really want is a USA Warrior, but I may as well be looking for Jimmy Hoffa's shoes around here.
                            You could order one, I've got a CS coming.

But yeah, the SL1 is definitely the way to go. The Rhoads is a good shape for one thing, whereas the Soloist is usable (aesthetically, at least) across multiple genres. Not to mention the playability and sonic versatility of the SL1 vs the Rhoads. In all honesty though, I really want a Rhoads. I just want a 24 fret Rhoads and you won't catch me dead going CS for two frets on a guitar I don't need.
                            I like EL34s.

Comment

The upper fret access on an RR1 is just fine. I really don't notice much difference from my Rhoads' to my Soloists. The 22 vs 24 fret thing is overblown too. I play in an 80's cover band and hardly ever "need" 24 frets. As far as looks go, the Rhoads is hands down the most badass looking axe
                              Rudy
                              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                                The upper fret access on an RR1 is just fine. I really don't notice much difference from my Rhoads' to my Soloists. The 22 vs 24 fret thing is overblown too. I play in an 80's cover band and hardly ever "need" 24 frets. As far as looks go, the Rhoads is hands down the most badass looking axe
                                I've stated my need for 24 frets before in this thread :P
                                I like EL34s.

Comment

Working...
                                X