What's a good first 7string?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good first 7string?

So I have been wanting a seven string for quite awhile now and of course I want it to be a Jackson. What is a decent model to get just to feel the 7 string waters with. Not looming to spend alot of money here.

They only have one seven string model unless you want to go custom shop.

It will probably run you about a grand on the bay, probably more, but you may get lucky.
    I like EL34s.

Comment

I think you are mistaken. I have seen a couple different models on eBay and I just watched one end on eBay for $176 I was out bid at the last second. It was listed as a dr7. There is another one listed as a dx7 there is also one listed as an rr7

Comment

Originally posted by Jr_vw2 View Post
        I think you are mistaken. I have seen a couple different models on eBay and I just watched one end on eBay for $176 I was out bid at the last second. It was listed as a dr7. There is another one listed as a dx7 there is also one listed as an rr7
        Those are all old discontinued models. They've been discontinued for quite a few years now. The only 7 string Jackson currently offers is the SLAT3-7.

Comment

I don't have a problem buying used guitars in fact I'm not looking to buy a new guitar. So what's the scoop on the older models.

Comment

I just sold my DR7 on Ebay this week. It was already decked out in Dimarzio pups.

I tried the 7 string thing for a while and hated it.. glad I got that guitar sold.. So try it with a cheapo like a used DR7 then if you like it more go from there.
            Chris

Is there any other brand of guitar...?

My fleet of guitars
            http://www.angelfire.com/va2/ckjones

Comment

Yeah, I hate to say it, but if you can't find a 200$ Jackson, get an LTD ESP 7 string. I got one that plays really well for almost nothing.

I'm very glad I did, because I was trying to go custom shop at the time; I was trying to get a quote at the only Jackson dealer in town and the manager of the store was such an ass to me about it, I ended up putting it off a month or two. (This is after spending several thousand at his store, I wasn't some jackass windowshopper. Infuriating.)

Point is, I was about to spend several thousand on a guitar I would rarely have played. There's nothing wrong with this ESP, even though it's a cheap model, it's set up very well. It plays nice and it sounds fine. Turns out I just don't want to play my own music on it, I only use it to play B tuned covers like Carcass, At The Gates, Ebony Tears, etc on when I'm bored. Otherwise I'd absolutely have a Jackson 7-string by now.

So my advice is to make 100% sure you're truly a 7string guy before you dump the money. Even at this stage I'd want to try out that Rusty Cooley signature Dean before getting a SLAT3-7. I think it's a little cheaper.

I checked out his old go-to 7 string axe, and got to talk to him about it, right around the time I was going to order one. It was a custom shop Jackson - but now he prefers the model Dean made him. If you watch some of his "betcha can't play this" stuff on youtube he goes over all the specs, and even for a die-hard Jackson guy like me, I have to admit, I'd absolutely play one of the Deans first and give it a fair chance.
              I only need one more guitar.

Comment

Unless you're looking for brand new, which all you have to chose from this the SLATQ-7, then recommend searching ebay and music shops used column for a DR7 or a RR7.

I think it's a DR7 anyway, I saw one the other day on the 'bay though.
                Gear

Jackson DXMG
                Jackson JS30RR
                Boss ML2 Metalcore Pedal
                Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
                Blackstar HT5H
                Marshall MC212

Gear I want

Jackson RR1T Black
                Marshall JCM 800 2203
                Marshall 1960A Cab

Comment

You should check out that DK27 Rob has for sale:
                  http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/106944-Huuuuuuge-sale!

Comment

You could probably find a COW7 for cheap. I realize that it's pretty light on features compared to most other sevens on the market, but I have one and like it a lot. On the other hand, I also have an Ibanez RG7321 that only cost me around $250, and while it's not on the same level as the Jackson, it's definitely better than the Washburn I started out on.
                    sigpic

Comment

+1 for the ibanez 7321 best starter 7 string -

Comment

DX7 = Chrome hardware, made in India, decent guitar, but smells like incense , expect to pay about $150 - $200 tops on ebay...
                        DR7 = Satin hardware, made in Japan, plays a bit better than the DX7 (but still has the crappy Duncan Design pickups), expect to pay $200 to $300 on ebay...a little more for the DR7T (trem-version)...

Hope that helps!
                        Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

I'd rather down-tune a 6-string. I had a 7 - hated it. Especially since I only play 3 strings at a time!

Comment

Working...
                          X