Why do Charvel's...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do Charvel's...

...almost always seem to have non-routed, non-recessed Floyds? I've maybe seen 2 with the routing to pull the trem sharp in my casual searches for guitars on various sites. Whatup with that?

Why do Charvel is what? :think:

This has been discussed a lot. With respect to "Custom orders for no one" which are the "Custom Shop" guitars that places like The Music Zoo order to hang on the wall for someone to buy a custom shop guitar they didn't spec, it's because that's what it seems typical Charvel customer wants, and so that's what the stores order.

Or, maybe the store remembers the old-school Strat-head guitars with Floyds that weren't recessed and how rare those were, and they think lots of people will jump at the chance to relive their youth, fulfill a dream, etc.

Anyway... If you want recessed tremolos, scalloped horns, contoured heels with recessed neck plates, binding, fancy inlays, et cetera... They will do all of that stuff, for a price. It just seems that most stores are pretty conservative with their "shop wall customs."

Comment

OR, Just by a Jackson.

Comment

or, an old toothpaste logo charvel.

Comment

Or you could buy one.

Comment

These are different...

They told me about this a while back. I got a chance to see it Saturday. The tremolo is recessed... and so is the pickguard.

No, I did not buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
              Why do Charvel is what? :think:

This has been discussed a lot. With respect to "Custom orders for no one" which are the "Custom Shop" guitars that places like The Music Zoo order to hang on the wall for someone to buy a custom shop guitar they didn't spec, it's because that's what it seems typical Charvel customer wants, and so that's what the stores order.

Or, maybe the store remembers the old-school Strat-head guitars with Floyds that weren't recessed and how rare those were, and they think lots of people will jump at the chance to relive their youth, fulfill a dream, etc.

Anyway... If you want recessed tremolos, scalloped horns, contoured heels with recessed neck plates, binding, fancy inlays, et cetera... They will do all of that stuff, for a price. It just seems that most stores are pretty conservative with their "shop wall customs."
              Note the 3 dots indicating a delayed connection or pause to the second part of the query that is posted in the main body of text. Just was curious as to why Charvels didn't standard feature recessed or routed trems while many others do. It was suggested that it's a marketing strategy to those aging shredders who grew up playing Charvels that didn't have recessed/routed trems. Seems like a stretch to me.
              Haven't seen that many Jackson Star shaped axes out there.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
                Note the 3 dots indicating a delayed connection or pause to the second part of the query that is posted in the main body of text.
                he was playing on the fact that your subject line, "Why do Charvel's...", has an apostrophe indicating the contraction of "Charvel is". Hence his response "Why do Charvel is what?"

You may have noticed he went on to answer your question anyway.

The rout/recess isn't required to pull up on the trem. In fact, by the time you have lowered the trem into the recess, there is often no more pullback than on a non-recessed trem. The major difference between the two options is the neck angle and the height of the strings from the body (unless the neck has been shimmed to sit the bridge flat on the face of the guitar - this option is even less common)
                Hail yesterday

Comment

holy crap... please tell me you have a link with more info and a price! I tried to find it through the link of the pic but had little success.
                  Chris

Is there any other brand of guitar...?

My fleet of guitars
                  http://www.angelfire.com/va2/ckjones

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
                    Note the 3 dots
                    It's called an ellipses.

You can call the idea of non-recessed tremolos as a "retro" feature and a "plus" to some people a "stretch" - and then wait for a shitload of people to come into this thread and tell you how they LOVE the non-recessed tremolos.

I mean, you can talk about how they didn't make it a "standard feature" and all that, but the fact is, lots of people consider that a "bonus" since practically ever other Floyd'ed guitar on the planet has a recess.

This argument has been beaten to death. They did it because that's what the majority of Custom Shop orders called for. The Production Models are done for now at least, so in the mean time, you're going to have to go for a Custom Shop guitar, where you can specify your recessed tremolo, 24-fret Star.

Comment

Originally posted by CKJ View Post

holy crap... please tell me you have a link with more info and a price! I tried to find it through the link of the pic but had little success.
                      Ebay... look for guitarhotline.

Guitar Hotline, also known as Reno's Music, and Best Pick Guitars. They have pictures of it on their web site, but they don't have it on their web site. :think:

They have the customs like the ones I have (a "San Dimas" - similar, but with ebony/binding/rear route with direct mount pickups) but these "SoCals" they only have on Ebay.

I can't figure out why they put some stuff on Ebay and some stuff on their site, and some stuff they just have hanging on the wall and no one would ever know they have it without going there (like the Solar PC1 I also saw Saturday.) :dunno:

But they're a store local to me so I know them and I go in there from time to time. Scott does these crazy Charvels like this that are way more off the wall than anything I've seen any other dealer do. Now, that brings up a good point... I like them (the crazy customs with recessed this and scalloped that.) But a lot of the Charvel purists on the board are like "Recessed what? Ah, stupid scalloped cutaway, who wants a contoured heel..." but it is a good illustration of the fact that Charvel can and WILL build whatever you'll pay for (except, you know, stuff that they can't or won't build )

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                        It's called an ellipses.

You can call the idea of non-recessed tremolos as a "retro" feature and a "plus" to some people a "stretch" - and then wait for a shitload of people to come into this thread and tell you how they LOVE the non-recessed tremolos.

I mean, you can talk about how they didn't make it a "standard feature" and all that, but the fact is, lots of people consider that a "bonus" since practically ever other Floyd'ed guitar on the planet has a recess.

This argument has been beaten to death. They did it because that's what the majority of Custom Shop orders called for. The Production Models are done for now at least, so in the mean time, you're going to have to go for a Custom Shop guitar, where you can specify your recessed tremolo, 24-fret Star.
                        Yes, ellipses. Somewhere in my faded memories of Honors and AP high school English, I recall something along those lines. It also explains the misused apostrophe in the title. Must have slept through that part of class. I didn't want to assume all knew that. Sometimes it's easier to identify a literary device with a simplified description.
                        No past arguments being resurrected here, I was just curious. It seems as if it's a touchy issue.

Comment

Ha ha, fair enough, guy.

I didn't mean for it to come off like a touchy issue with me. Heck, I love a recessed tremolo as much as a non-recessed, I'm a tremolo whore, I'm not that discriminating. But with some people, it is.

A few "n00bs" have taken it upon themselves to name pretty much every feature of a Jackson and complain about why they can't get it on a Charvel, stock... Pointy head, recessed tremolo, binding, shark-fins... Only, you know, with a Charvel logo on it. Charvel is just typically going to be the more "old-school" approach of the two, I think, that seem to be how they want to market it.

Comment

Here's my dilema. I love non-recessed trems, but neckthrough construction. I think one day I'll have to get a custom shop CharJack so I can have the best of both worlds.

That said I find the idea of a recessed pickguard very enticing. That guitar is hot.
                            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Here's my dilema. I love non-recessed trems, but neckthrough construction. I think one day I'll have to get a custom shop CharJack so I can have the best of both worlds
                              Older soloists were made with non recessed floyds, aswell as model 6 charvels and the shannon soloists, not sure how hard (or expensive) to find these are, but maybe an option for you

Comment

Working...
                              X