What kind of CHARVEL neck is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of CHARVEL neck is this?

hi! can anyone tell me what style or model neck this is? I know jack shit about these type of charvels.

It's not qtrsawn so it's not from the 2002 MIJ charvels. Probalby one of the MIK 90's charvels, buy the TRD stands for traditional and those models didn't have the traditional name. A picture of the 12th fret markers would help too. How many frets?

Comment

22 frets. it has all dots. great feeling neck. really nice quality. i'd be surprised if it was a low end one. it doesn't have any serial numbers. the may have been sanded off. it has a really smooth satin back.

Comment

also, no skunk stripe. i'm not sure if it's supposed to have one or not. I bought a HUGE collection of old bodies and necks, and my goal for this one is to try and match it up with the correct body, trem and pickups.

Comment

It shouldn't have a serial number on it. I can't tell are the dots close together or far apart at the 12th fret? I had a Jackson that was MIK that had the searsheadstock and it was a really nice guitar. Not all the MIk J/C are crap. I don't think any of these came with a skunk strip.

Comment

thanks for the info rich. the 12th fret dots are really close together. way more than a strat.

Comment

I think it's from a Traditional. I agree that it's not a perfect piece of quartersawn wood, but I've seen plenty of necks described as quartersawn that were just a little off like that.

Comment

+1

Comment

I just installed the floyd, and just need to wire the pickups in. this neck is really sweet. I want to find a few more. so I just search for jackson traditional?

Comment

Well, I'd search for Charvel Traditional. And it's definitely from the batch that came out around 2002/2003. Made in Japan, very good quality.
                    Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
                    www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

I think it's from a Traditional. I agree that it's not a perfect piece of quartersawn wood, but I've seen plenty of necks described as quartersawn that were just a little off like that.
                      I have had 4 of these charvels, one traditional and 3 model A's and have never seen one off. a picture of the back of the neck would help.
                      Model A
                      traditional
                      But if that is what these are it's a 2002 charvel MIJ.

Comment

Some quartersawn necks look perfect and some don't. The further from the middle the piece is cut from, the less perfect the grain will look, especially in an end-on shot of the heel, but it's still quartersawn wood.

Comment

here's a pic of the back of the neck.

Comment

yep that's qtrsawn. so it's a 2002 traditional. MIJ. Not as tight of a grain that was on the one's I had but qtrsawn. Those don't come around that often.

Comment

this ones a keeper for sure. I always hated that headstock. so I never gave them a chance. but after playing it on the assembled guitar, I LOVE it! definitely want another.

Comment

Working...
                              X