I miss an old guitar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
    Your best bet outside of building a new one from scratch is to get a body refinished. A 2-hum or 1-hum Floyded US j/c body are out there. The catch is getting the maple neck. Again, not completely obscure, but harder to find.
    I've got the refinish part of this equation all worked out. All I need is right platform to put it on.

You'll likely have to buy an entire guitar for the neck, then swap bodies. Or, if you're lucky, the body that comes w the neck you like has the right configuration to be painted. If you're patient, they should pop up on the bay or on this forum.
    If I find a single hum, it's no problem getting i trouted for the other hum.

In general, the V-trem SD point reissues less desirable then the ones with an OFR?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
      Thank you for the suggestion but I don't want to go that route because it's not a "real" Charvel or Jackson. Psychologically that matters to me. If I did go with parts I would rather go with Musikraft because they can built the body and neck to SD specs. Also:
      - They only offer necks with a 2 3/16" heel.
      - Their Jackson style headstock is not exactly the same.
      - Their Strat necks are not available with a headstock mounted truss rod nut.

I know Warmoth is good quality but it's not right for this guitar and yes, I'm not worried about resale value.
      Hmm... Well, Musikraft doesn't do Jackson headstock at all. Warmoth's is licensed, so it SHOULD be exactly the same, but I'll take your word for it. I kinda figured if you were willing to go with a Strat-head you'd be OK with a 16th of an inch narrower heel, but I understand... I had some similar "specific requirements" when I was trying to do the same thing with my refin'ed Model '88 that Warmoth couldn't quite deliver.

All of the Charvel Strat-heads are heel adjust, so those Music Zoo guitars as well as the Pro Mods are out.

So, you're down to US-made maple-boarded Jackson or Charvel pointy-head bolt-ons, of which there are none currently manufactured.

You could refin this ugly beast: http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/1...e-Metal-Flake/

Really, I don't know what to tell you. You're going to have a tough time meeting the specs you've set without a scratch-build or spending a lot of money.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
        Hmm... Well, Musikraft doesn't do Jackson headstock at all.
        Correct but they will do a Strat headstock with the truss rod nut at the headstock. While I'd prefer a pointy headstock, I don't mind Strat headstocks as long as they have the t-rod nut at the top.

Warmoth's is licensed, so it SHOULD be exactly the same, but I'll take your word for it.
        I'm just going by what I've eyeballed pretty closely. They are close but not exact.

I kinda figured if you were willing to go with a Strat-head you'd be OK with a 16th of an inch narrower heel, but I understand... I had some similar "specific requirements" when I was trying to do the same thing with my refin'ed Model '88 that Warmoth couldn't quite deliver.
        For this type of guitar, I just prefer the slightly wider neck.

All of the Charvel Strat-heads are heel adjust, so those Music Zoo guitars as well as the Pro Mods are out.
        Yeah, I know but they're the closest thing to what I want that I can easily buy. If they didn't have the t-rod nut at the heel, I would never had made this post because I would have bought a guitar already.

So, you're down to US-made maple-boarded Jackson or Charvel pointy-head bolt-ons, of which there are none currently manufactured.
        Correct whihc is why I'm going nuts trying to find the right guitar for this project.

Heh, I didn't consider that by it's too much money for what it is. I could custom order I exactly what I want, less the paint job for a little less than that.

Really, I don't know what to tell you. You're going to have a tough time meeting the specs you've set without a scratch-build or spending a lot of money.
        I appreciate your input nonetheless.

Comment

Wow, you're a picky fuck

A lot of ideas I had after reading your first post were shot down after reading following post.

I thought of using a Model 7 neck (reverse pointy with maple) on a model 3a (I think, the dual hum one) body. But if it needs to be a USA, I think the new USA Charvels would be your best bet to refinish.

Good luck with it. I agree with you, the best way to avoid regrets is not to sell. But I'm starting to run out of room at 30+ guitars.

Comment

I understand, man. Like I said, I had the same experience trying to replace my refin'ed Model '88. Only you can decide where you're willing to compromise, when you see it/find it, you'll know.

Your best bet is to just keep an eye on Ebay... Honestly though, I almost never see Charvel/Jacksons with maple boards though, outside of imports.

Good luck, man.

Comment

Originally posted by RJF View Post
              If you REALLY want your old guitar back, go ahead and build another one. Once the new replacement is all done, rest assured your old guitar will at that point pop up on Ebay.
              Yes this happen to me

I feel your pain Matt B

I sold a 83 USA Warlock exactly like the one use in Motley Crue Looks that kill video(not the reason i bought it) and i have regretted that since 1991.

2007 i had the BC Rich custom shop make me one 4 weeks after i get it what do i see on ebay... yep an 83 USA Warlock just like it.

I dont care because my new one is awesome and i am never selling it.
              2011 USA Jackson Soloist
              2007 USA Jackson Soloist
              2007 USA BC Rich Warlock
              2009 Edwards ECY 165
              2009 Schecter Hellraiser
              2006 USA BC Rich Wave
              2012 Gibson LP Trad
              1981 USA BC Rich Mockingbird

Comment

Maples a lot easier to find on a pointy Charvel. What about one of the 2005 San Dimas runs? They can be had for cheap and you could get it refinished.

Edit - I see you're one step ahead of me...
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  Wow, you're a picky fuck
                  You sound just like the guy that works on my guitars. I prefer to think of myself as having "discerning tastes". It also comes down to having a very concrete vision in mind of what I want.

I thought of using a Model 7 neck (reverse pointy with maple) on a model 3a (I think, the dual hum one) body. But if it needs to be a USA, I think the new USA Charvels would be your best bet to refinish.
                  I had thought about the Model 7 but I never loved the Model series necks as much as I love the SD necks.

Good luck with it. I agree with you, the best way to avoid regrets is not to sell. But I'm starting to run out of room at 30+ guitars.
                  I've only sold (2) guitars in the past 6 years and I thought long and hard before I did. I don't miss those at all. I sold the desert camo about 20 yrs. ago when I was "young and foolish" and could get Jacksons for 10% over cost.
                  Last edited by Matt_B; 02-20-2010, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
                    Strat or Dinky would be fine but I've never seen a non-custom shop Dinky with a maple board. While I prefer a recessed OFR, I can live with a non-recessed one, as long as it's flat on the body. As far as the battery compartment goes, that's not a HUGE deal as long as it could be filled it. I don't like having unnecessary holes in my guitars.

I am attracted to the Charvel Pro Mods but I'm really trying to avoid them because of their truss rod nut arrangement (just a pet peeve of mine).
                    Correct me if Im wrong (but I know Im right : )) the DK2m has a maple board, recessed floyd however, but Seymour Duncans.
                    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                      Correct me if Im wrong (but I know Im right : )) the DK2m has a maple board, recessed floyd however, but Seymour Duncans.
                      he said he doesnt want a non-us guitar
                      Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                      Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                        Originally posted by Super_shredder View Post
                        ...and it has a 5 way switch which I don't want either. Yeah, I'm picky but this is a project with very specific guidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by Super_shredder View Post
                          ohhhh, must have missed that part, my bad.
                          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Working...
                          X