No announcement yet.

DKMG-Active or Passive Pups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just curious, why based on a DKMG? You have one already or have a line on one cheap? Like the configuration/archtop/neck? Just curious as you may be better off with a different base.
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Warlock,

I have one stashed on layaway. I went to my local store, and I just loved it when I played it! It was lost in the back and he hadn't even put it out yet, it was still wrapped up in all the foam from Jackson

The arch top didn't really sway me one way or the other. If I remember right, when I looked at the models with out the EMGS, they didn't have the trans red finish available.

They let me hook it up when I played it to some Randall tube amp, but of course it was turned down really low and like some amature, all I did was start wailing away on all my heavy metal riffs and stuff LOL

Seriously, I didn't really get a chance to check the EMGs out clean or anything like that.

This is no big deal, if I don't like them, I will just put something else in, I guess I am just getting anxious having to wait for it

Just curious, if they go on E-bay, what can I expect to get for the set, although they aren't in a box and have to be unwired, they will be pretty new.
      Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

I would just hold on to the EMG's until the right guitar comes along that could benefit.
        Keep an eye out for J90C, try that, or some Bareknuckles, or a zillion other possibilities.
        I hang on to pickups because one set may not sound right in a particular guitar but might be just right for another.
        I have a Dimarzio PAF in and out of four different guitars before it found a sweet home in my mini bich.
        It sounds great on that one guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by rattlehead74 View Post
          Dimarzio D activator, passive pick ups with active pick up characteristics.
          I had these in my old Xiphos and they don't sound like active pups. They pups are will suited for jazz, but lack the selaze for 80's style stuff.

If you want something sharp and punchy, but don't want to go for a SD or go the active route, I'd look into a Lace Alumitone Deathbucker.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rossness View Post
            I had these in my old Xiphos and they don't sound like active pups. They pups are will suited for jazz, but lack the selaze for 80's style stuff.

If you want something sharp and punchy, but don't want to go for a SD or go the active route, I'd look into a Lace Alumitone Deathbucker.

Somehow , playing Goo Goo Dolls with something called a "DeathBucker" jsut doesn't sound right , LOL HAHA!

Comment

A dimarzio tone zone for me has been the most well rounded, reliable live and studio pickup. it is so "pick" sensitive. and if you ever need more gain than it has, such as an EMG, it's a lot easier to step on a stompbox than it is to change a pickup!

Comment

I ran the Tone Zone in my soloist when I had it and I have to say, I do agree. I also had a Breed at one point and it was pretty sweet too, so I guess, I will just get rid of the EMGs and go with what I know I like.

This is my first guitar in 5 years and it will be the last for a while, so there is no point in holding on to the EMG's.

Comment

Yeah but what you're telling me is you're not really getting a deal. It's brand new and not even shelfed. Listen, if that particular store doesn't have some DK2's or DK2M's go try one out elsewhere. They come in transparent finishes, swirls, i even have one with a sort of custom looking graphic on it (not custom, but cool anyways) and they are pretty much the same thing, but i can guarantee they will cost less. If you're not crazy about the arch top and you're not sure about the EMGS than i guarantee you're buying the wrong guitar. Unlike the rest of us, you're stuck with it for 5 years. Most of us here go through 5+ guitars every 6 months lol.

Try another jackson, they all play that well and i seriously think you'll be happier with a Dinky Dk2 with floyd and the seymours and a nice transparent flamed finish or graphics etc. Then you could also look at the soloist, those are hela nice too

Comment

I never said , I disliked the archtop, I think it is fine, I said it didn't bother me one way or the other with that, and by Deal, I meant that he was giving it to me for the same price as a DK without Emg's in it, so I wasn't paying extra for them. Since I don't like Duncans either, I would be ripping them out to swap for the Dimarzios.

The soloist, is almost 3 times as much as I am going to pay for this, otherwise I wouldn't be getting a bolt on neck.

Comment

Working...
                    X