No one stocks these...need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No one stocks these...need some help

Hey...long time lurker, first time poster.

Here's my dilemma in a nutshell: SLS3 or Dominion? Now a little about me to help you out.

I'm 30, been playing since I was about six. Mostly rock and blues based stuff, but I've been playing lead in a thrashy/power metal band for the last year or so. I'm not an overly technical player (no sweeping or tapping), more like a boring Dimebag or Kirk Hammet

Right now I'm playing a 1990 Les Paul Standard through a JCM2000 half stack. I LOVE my tone, but always feel like I'm fighting the Paul on lead stuff. I'd like to grab a guitar that can come as close as possible to the tones I've got now, with more playability. Both of these guitars seem like they could be close but there are no dealers anywhere near me who stock either guitar, so playing first isn't an option.

When I started my search for a new guitar my criteria was this, flexible on most but the construction type and bridge:
    $1500 budget (or so)
    Mahogany Body/Mahogany Neck
    Neck Through construction
    H/H pickups (not active)
    Tune-o-matic or hardtail bridge
    24 3/4 scale

The specs seem to favor the Dominion, but it's more money and doesn't include a hard case. Plus I love raw necks... I do like the look of the SLS3, the price is nicer but I worry the neck will be too thin for my liking.

Anyway, your input would be awesome! Thanks.

My vote is for the Dominion, mainly due to its versatility. Although it should be significantly lighter, I think it will feel more like your Paul, but you will be able to get many more tones out of it due to its chambered body and coil taps. The neck is a bit on the thicker side for a Jackson, so it should be closer to what you are used to as well...but I haven't played an SLS3 in awhile, so I don't know if they've changed the neck profiles at all on those--I suspect not.

Comment

If you provide your location, there could be a JCF'er with one of them in your area who'd let you check it out. I don't know how likely that is, but it's worth a shot.
      Otherwise, and I'm admittedly biased, the Dominion would probably come closest to the sound and feel you're looking for. As 6string40 said, it's also a very versatile guitar.

Comment

I'm in Charlottesville, VA. Ironically it's only an hour away from Richmond (where Lamb of God is from) but I don't think Mark Morton is available to let me jam on some of his guitars

I guess my biggest question about the Dominion, and my biggest gripe about the Les Paul is upper fret access around the 15th fret and above. On the Paul its clunky cause of the set neck and body meeting up high on the bass side. How is it on the Dominion?

Comment

i have owned a few dominions and still have one , its a great guitar espessially with the new features for '09. I have played an SLS and it to is a great guitar, the neck is finished and is thinner than the dominion, its a 25.5 scale length and not as versitile as the dominion. The dominion is more expensive but you get better features for the money , it all depends what you're after if you're used to the les paul the dominion is the way to go, upper fret access is very good better than my friends les paul . Get the dominion you wont be sorry .

Comment

If you like your Paul but want better fret access, I'd check out Schecter guitars. They're on the cheaper side, but can be very nice. Nice heavy tone and thicker necks so it won't be a huge leap from Gibson.
            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
              If you like your Paul but want better fret access, I'd check out Schecter guitars. They're on the cheaper side, but can be very nice. Nice heavy tone and thicker necks so it won't be a huge leap from Gibson.
              I've looked into the Schecter's. I've played a few, but they just don't do it for me. Maybe they're all too flashy. I've always liked Jacksons and I had an original Dinky Reverse back in high school that I liked so wanted to try and get back into em.

I'm leaning towards the Dominion a little more now. Last night I was positive it'd be the SLS3. Any other opinions out there?

Comment

No problem with higher fret access on the Dominion. I love mine! It does seem a tiny bit neck heavy due to the body chambering, but a leather strap helps.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Just a thought but maybe get the Les Paul setup. And put in coil taps for the pups. Push pull pots work great in a Les Paul for more tones. You could even go nuts and do the Jimmy Page wiring to it. Altho a setup wont help with upper fret access. It will make it play better so it wont feel like its fightin ya so much.
                  Gil

Comment

Someone by me is selling one for $500.The Dominon I mean...
                    H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

By the way here is the add....http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...569010999.html
                      H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

I wonder what happened at noon today?
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                        X