Restoring a 750XL Charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring a 750XL Charvel

I picked up what I thought was a used jackson at my local pawnshop. Whoever had it didn't take care of it and had badly dinged it up and repainted the whole thing black with white ghost flames. After I got the paint off and seen it was a charvel I decided to restore it to what it was.

Now I need some help with this task. The baseplate of the Floyd rose is stripped on the saddle intonation locking screws, the saddles themselves are shot, and the genius used pliers on the string lock screws on the back of the saddles.

Also the dummy tried to redo the wiring himself and now I was wondering if anyone has the wiring diagram for this one because it needs serious help. It still had the original jackson pickups in it.

Plus if anyone could point me to where I could get the replacement Charvel toothpaste headstock logo I would be forever in your debt.

Would be nice if i could get a perfect replacement JT-950 non recessed trem for this thing since that was what it had.

Appreciate any input on this project.
    Causing chaos one note at a time!

-CJ-

Sounds like a great project!! I would love to see the progress and result. I hope you post some pics of the project.

as far as the Charvel toothpaste logo......hmm.....that will take some doing. perhaps someone can scan theirs and email it to you???
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

They have the toothpaste logo here:

http://www.best-decals.com/index.php...&cPath=2_19_16

Rockinger carries Schaller floyd baseplates that directly replace the JT590 baseplate, but shipping from Germany can be really high depending on where you are.

http://www.rockinger.com/index.php?cat=WG075〈=eng&product=1637C%2F1637S%2F1 637G

Used JT590s show up occasionally here in the classifieds or on eBay, usually somewhere around $100 or so, but you're always rolling the dice because of the weak threads in the pot-metal baseplate for those intonation screws. If money's no object, you can get a new Schaller floyd from Warmoth for around $180. It's the same trem, but with hardened inserts for the intonation screws.
      Last edited by dg; 10-18-2009, 12:48 PM.

Comment

I seen those replacement trems but man I hate the thought of not using original parts that dont have the original jackson logo. Just takes away from the overall awe of this guitar. Unfortunaltely that may be my only option.

I'll try to post some pics later today of this thing.

-CJ-

Comment

Would love to see pics. Keep us updated on how it goes!
          http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

This is the condition it was in when I first purchased it.

-CJ-

Comment

Stripping the guitar and finding the Charvel logo hidden under what I thought was a Jackson guitar. The binding was an awesome surprise as well!

-CJ-

Comment

Minus the logo not being there I think it looks kind of sexy. IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Cjpalo View Post
                  I seen those replacement trems but man I hate the thought of not using original parts that dont have the original jackson logo. Just takes away from the overall awe of this guitar.
                  It's just a Schaller. Doesn't matter if it's got a Jackson/Charvel logo on it... it's the same exact thing.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I didn't realize the Floyds on these were non-recessed. Cool.
                    -------------------------
                    Blank yo!

Comment

What a find. Score! Can't wait to see it completed good luck.
                      I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                        I didn't realize the Floyds on these were non-recessed. Cool.
                        Some were, some weren't.
                        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                        Gotta get away from here.
                        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

They were all non-recessed, but the very early ones had a pullup route.

http://audiozone.dk/images/charvel-7...up-route01.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Cjpalo View Post
                            I seen those replacement trems but man I hate the thought of not using original parts that dont have the original jackson logo. Just takes away from the overall awe of this guitar. Unfortunaltely that may be my only option.

I'll try to post some pics later today of this thing.
                            If you want to save the base plate, you may be able to re-drill the holes and insert heli-coils. These would replace any stripped or damaged threads. You would have to check to make sure there is enough room between tapped holes. Any machine shop could do this. Let me know if this is a route you might want to take. I could get this done for you - maybe for the cost of shipping.

Comment

I don't think the baseplate is thick enough for heli-coils, but you could weld up the holes and redrill and tap them. It's a bit of work, but if you want to keep it original, it might be the way to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X