Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will replace the San Dimas style 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike did say they were going to explore the single-hum Style1s, did he not?

It's not fiscally feasible to do a production Star in this price range, though it would be nice.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

cough...maybe...cough...

http://www.drlgrafx.com/image-viewer...allery1-27.jpg

Comment

in bionic's own words...

"The third guitar will be a wild card, one of the other platforms with features and configurations that you don't normally see on the USA PMS."

so that leaves it open to pickup configurations, different colored hardware, etc...maybe a vague statement by him but it leaves them a lot of room to move...d.m.
        http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

So maybe it will just be a "custom" Pro Mod like the Polar White instead of an SD2? I guess it could be either the SD1 or SoCal style, just changed up a bit? 3 single coil SoCal? Single hum SD1? Rosewood boards? A cool graphic? Can't wait to see!

Comment

I just think that Single Hum and 3 Single setups are so niche market, they won't be going there. Are they both cool? Yes, but they're are just fewer buyers.

Logically, there's a shitload more people out there that just refuse to play a maple board and would be all over these if it had rosewood. I think that's the only logical change for them to make.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
              I just think that Single Hum and 3 Single setups are so niche market, they won't be going there. Are they both cool? Yes, but they're are just fewer buyers.

Logically, there's a shitload more people out there that just refuse to play a maple board and would be all over these if it had rosewood. I think that's the only logical change for them to make.
              I think I'm just the opposite of those kind of players. I really refuse to play most rosewood boards.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it would be cool to see an explorer style body like Hamer makes (but that will never happen). Maybe they could try and capture a bit more of the youth market and offer something like Duncan Active PU's on the SD1 or SC1.

On the other hand, could they offer a high quality USA made RR1 or concorde type guitar with a bolt on San Dimas neck. It would basically have a body that was already in production, then mount a SD1 neck and hardware and bingo!

Comment

I just think that Single Hum and 3 Single setups are so niche market

All right, man, all right... You've finally convinced me this is not going to happen and as a result I was forced to send Warmoth a big wad of money for a 1H non-recessed Floyd'ed Strat body and a nice koa/ebony neck to go with it...

Thanks for crushing my dreams, Granturk.

DREAMCRUSHER!

Seriously I used to be one of those guys that wouldn't touch a maple neck with a 10-foot-pole, but that was basically because all I'd ever tried were Fenders with a 1/8" thick layer of poly on them. I very much like the maple Pro Mod necks, and rosewood seems kinda "meh" by comparison.

Graphics would be neat! But there again, that's niche market. People who like graphics, then people who like the specific graphic you choose to put out... That can be risky.

Originally posted by The Rossness View Post
                On the other hand, could they offer a high quality USA made RR1 or concorde type guitar with a bolt on San Dimas neck. It would basically have a body that was already in production, then mount a SD1 neck and hardware and bingo!
                Strat-head RR1?

I don't know about that one.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rossness View Post
                  You, sir, are outside the box. Waaaaaay outside the box!

Seriously, we know the:

- explorer
                  - traditional flying V
                  - Star

were all shapes that they did early in Charvel history, but I think its probably unreasonable to do a production run of guitars that are very limited in popularity. Even on this board, they're aren't that many people looking for those shapes (although the ones that are are indeed ravenous).
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                    All right, man, all right... You've finally convinced me this is not going to happen and as a result I was forced to send Warmoth a big wad of money for a 1H non-recessed Floyd'ed Strat body and a nice koa/ebony neck to go with it...
                    I don't think I would buy another Warmoth body. There seems to be a lot of other guys out there that are doing bodies with the right contours and cutouts. I can't get behind that giant route they use for rear routed bodies, the arm contour isn't right and the edge radius isn't right - well, its right for like mid-70's strats, but not for 60's or 50's bodies.

Don't get me wrong, I've got a great light ash strat body from Warmoth that I dig, but for a little bit more, I'd be satisfied (you know the friggin edge radius bothers me!).
                    Blank yo!

Comment

You, sir, are outside the box. Waaaaaay outside the box!

Seriously, we know the:

- explorer
                      - traditional flying V
                      - Star

were all shapes that they did early in Charvel history, but I think its probably unreasonable to do a production run of guitars that are very limited in popularity. Even on this board, they're aren't that many people looking for those shapes (although the ones that are are indeed ravenous).
                      I once got a job where the job description read "we want positive thinkers who think outside the box. We want motivated workers ect". I had that job for one day because apparently I thought way outside of the box and my ideas made the other employees look bad- at least that was the answer I was given when they canned me. Anyway...

I was just saying, as these USA Pros, were modeled after the early 80's Charvels, so why not take some of the other body styles around at the time, and give them a shot. There was a post a few weeks ago that the CS might do a firebird body, so I thought why not an explorer body. Charvel could just mess with the angles like Wayne did for Michael Fox and vwalla, a new charvel production explorer!

And on the mention of a traditional V, I'd buy that in a second!

Comment

You are right about the rear cavity. I can't imagine why you would actually need that much space. I'm thinking about maybe mounting a Tube Screamer in there or something.

Comment

Maybe it'll be a HSH SoCal in a burst color.
                          Easy and cheap to make.
                          Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I think the run of white ones they did with the chrome hardware and zebra p/u's sold out fairly fast. I suspect we'll see more stuff like that.

Comment

Since the bodies for these are being cut on Fender's body-maker, they're only going to do Strat-types and Tele-types.

To keep manufacturing costs low, the necks are 1-piece maple.

That means no Stars or Gibson shapes (regardless of Hamer and regardless of what Charvel was doing in 1980), and no rosewood.

At least not on the standard production model. This "wildcard" may in fact have upcharge options like rosewood. Will you pay $200+ more over what you're paying now for a new Style1 for that?

And I'm not talking about fucking someone with the old "hard times/bad economy/low on cash" routine, I'm talking buying new from a dealer.
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'd love to see a humbucker/single coil configuration. I had to put my own together 20 years ago as I couldn't afford the real thing......would love it even more with a San Dimas neck......

Comment

Working...
                                X