No announcement yet.

Production-model neck pocket size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hear you man. In fact, I would have done the EMG's as direct mount and been done with it, if that were possible.

Unfortunately, due to the Charvel routes being so round, you cannot fit an EMG into them, the only way to get EMG's to fit in the standard Charvel routes is by re-radiusing the corners of the humbucker routes.

Now, with a mounting ring, that's a 2-minute job with a round file, but on a direct mount? Forget it.

Even if you could pull off the routing perfectly, which would be a good trick, there's the problem of the area you're routing being visible, and now it has no paint, and that's if you get lucky and don't chip anything from the upper edge.

I had actually given up on the idea of putting the EMG's in there, it just couldn't be done with the direct mounts and I didn't want to drill for rings because I was sure something would go wrong ("If it's not broken, keep fixing it until it is!")

And then, it was my lucky day, I rubbed right through the damned color coat on the back edge of both pickup cavities, revealing 1/16" of ugly black shielding paint and a little bit of wood (wow this finish is thin!)

And though that sounds like a bad thing, I was like "Hooray, now either my finish looks like crap, or I drill for rings and put some goddamned EMG's in this thing like I want to anyway!"

And now, it has pickup rings and EMG's, and I'm glad I did it.

Comment

Oh, yeah, I forgot about those pesky J/C pickup routes. When I had EMGs put in my '94 Dinky HX (direct mount), the route had to be dremmeled out a tiny bit for them to fit. My local shop did it for me. I've also heard of people shaving down the sides of the EMG covers to fit.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah, it's very easy to do with a round file when you're using a ring. I've done it many, many times.

But, doing it with a Dremel/router, on a direct mount, I'm figuring 1/32 or less for a "margin of error" and no way to really properly fix any kind of mistake... Not my idea of something fun to try.

I think I was really looking for an excuse to put mounting rings on it, anyway.

Comment

Working...
        X