No announcement yet.

How are these selling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the SoCals would do a little better if they had a better color palette - I don't think the metallic colors look good at all with pickguard. They probably should have done more solid color SoCals and more candy colored SD1s.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
      I'm glad to hear these are doing well for Charvel, bought a So-Cal in Candy Tangerine myself I'm not surprised to hear the Tele style one is bringing up the rear, I've said it before: Tele's are ugly! I also don't think a Tele headstock would save it. The typical Charvel player is a "Super Strat" player.
      +1 But... I would buy the tele for the right price, like $500.

Comment

The store near me still has one of each custom color from each batch, minus the Tang So Cal only. I've asked them as I've been concerned on how well they're selling, and the store said they are selling very well. My guess is they've got some from other dealers as another new Tang So Cal showed up after being sold out for a few months.

Comment

The Candy Blue is beautiful in person, not so much in pictures. I love mine; it has a nice dark blue/purple in the shadows and a beautiful sapphire blue in direct light.

But, it looks like ugly metalflake blue plastic/rubber from the 70's like you'd find those cheap 12" diameter rubber balls in the big cage at Kmart in pictures I've seen.

The candy purple is also a nice color in person, not quite as bad in pictures as the blue.

I really wish they'd consider AT LEAST beveling the outer edge on the SoCal pickguard though, as I'd have to agree with others who have said it looks "cheap."

Comment

I sell the soCals better than any of the other modesl, and the Style 2 SUX, i havent sold any since the pagan gold ones.

but I sell every color SoCal and SD1 I get without too much problem. I have sold 2 of each almost every time. the pagan gold SoCal hung around for a month, and thats as long as I have had any color SD1 or SoCal

Nick
            Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

Originally posted by Chubtone View Post
              All there needs to be is a Style 1 which SHOULD be the no pickguard strat with a SINGLE HUMBUCKER hence the Style 1 - Then the San Dimas Style 2 will be the same thing with 2 Humbuckers.
              I like that plan a lot Chub! I'd only change it by adding a Tele style headstock to the Style 2 - you know Tele guys...if their gonna go with a Tele shape, its got to be all Tele. I also think FMIC showed with the batch four Polar White model that they realized they need to shake up the styles to keep selling them.

Comment

Originally posted by Codswallop1 View Post
                I like that plan a lot Chub! I'd only change it by adding a Tele style headstock to the Style 2 - you know Tele guys...if their gonna go with a Tele shape, its got to be all Tele. I also think FMIC showed with the batch four Polar White model that they realized they need to shake up the styles to keep selling them.
                I wasn't really clear in my post. I meant it SHOULD be the San Dimas Style 1 would be a no pickguard strat with a single hum and the San Dimas Style 2 would be a no pickguard strat with 2 humbuckers. I have been calling for axing the Tele for a while now. They are too tough to sell and thankfully, enough dealers have been telling Charvel the same thing so they are stopping them after this batch.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksonite View Post
                  I sell the soCals better than any of the other modesl, and the Style 2 SUX, i havent sold any since the pagan gold ones.

but I sell every color SoCal and SD1 I get without too much problem. I have sold 2 of each almost every time. the pagan gold SoCal hung around for a month, and thats as long as I have had any color SD1 or SoCal

Nick
                  We are definitely in agreement on the Style 2 Tele. Good riddance, purely from a difficult to sell standpoint.

Things are going to be different in different parts of the country. I'm just south of LA and Hollywood and out here, Charvel always meant a no pickguard super strat. The So Cals definitely sit longer here than the SD1's. The slime green and the white SD1's flew out of here and I kept getting more cause some stores didn't buy up their allotment. :think: I mean, if you (not anyone on here personally) couldn't move the slime green SD1's you may want to rethink even carrying Charvel :ROTF:

Comment

I'd hate to see the SoCal dropped

I've never been a fan of pickguards on figured tops, and I cannot bear to look at those "pearloid" pickguards. Talk about cheap! Looks like Rhinestone OSB :ROTF:

Or someone cut a chunk out of an old single-wide trailer's Formica kitchen table :ROTF: :puke:

But solid (preferably dark) pickguards on gloss/metallic/candy colors wins. I didn't care for the white/black/white 'guards folks have posted on the CT and such - the white's too much brighter than the body color, and though they both stand out in sunlight, who plays them outdoors only?

The darker pickguards allow the body colors to pop out under normal indoor lighting. The glossy black/white/black pickguard on the black SoCal with purple plastic/pickups looked great, and I'm digging the new red with black 'guard, but I just don't like the "Blackie" setups (though with the Floyd it becomes a Dave Murray, so it can slide). These are the first 'guarded models I've ever liked. The maple board and head does a lot to help with that, as I was never interested in a Charvel Model 3 (that's the one with the 'guard?).

If I'm getting a HotRod Strat, I want it to look like a Fender Stratocaster only when you shine a light on it and look at the shadow on the wall - body shape and headstock. Other than that, I want the actual cosmetics to be the opposite of what Fender thinks they should look like.

If SoCals aren't selling out west, find a dealer in the east that can't move the S1s but can't keep the SoCals in stock and trade em out!
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Manny's Music in NYC is out of business???
                      '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
                      '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
                      '98 PRS Custom 22
                      '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

Originally posted by AndyK View Post
                        Manny's Music in NYC is out of business???
                        Bought out by Sam Ash years ago. Slowly dying for a while - they shifted their inventory aorund - at the end, what they were carrying really didn't make sense - Mexican Fenders, cheapo Deans, and then High-end Andersons and Suhrs. Not a single decent amp in the place - Randalls, Marshall DSLs and TSLs that didn't sell for the past 10 years.

I bought my ProMod from them, but they had a stock of inventory that just didn't seem to move.

Apparently the plan is to move Sam Ash into the Manny's store, remodel the Sam Ash space, then move Sam Ash back into their original space and convert Manny's into a "museum." That's what one rep at Manny's told me - take it with a grain of salt.
                        Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                          Bought out by Sam Ash years ago. Slowly dying for a while - they shifted their inventory aorund - at the end, what they were carrying really didn't make sense - Mexican Fenders, cheapo Deans, and then High-end Andersons and Suhrs. Not a single decent amp in the place - Randalls, Marshall DSLs and TSLs that didn't sell for the past 10 years.

I bought my ProMod from them, but they had a stock of inventory that just didn't seem to move.

Apparently the plan is to move Sam Ash into the Manny's store, remodel the Sam Ash space, then move Sam Ash back into their original space and convert Manny's into a "museum." That's what one rep at Manny's told me - take it with a grain of salt.
                          Oh, yeah, I know they were bought out, I thought the store was actually gone. Interesting if it becomes a museum - I doubt Sam Ash would run a museum though! I'm sure it's a landmark though, so maybe they are limited in what they can and can't change. I miss the diversity that used to line 48th street. Alex Music, We Buy Guitars, now it's all Sam Ash. At least Rudy's is still around.
                          '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
                          '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
                          '98 PRS Custom 22
                          '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

Originally posted by AndyK View Post
                            Oh, yeah, I know they were bought out, I thought the store was actually gone. Interesting if it becomes a museum - I doubt Sam Ash would run a museum though! I'm sure it's a landmark though, so maybe they are limited in what they can and can't change. I miss the diversity that used to line 48th street. Alex Music, We Buy Guitars, now it's all Sam Ash. At least Rudy's is still around.
                            Oh its gone-gone - as in there will no longer be a store operating as "Manny's."

I miss 48th St Custom Guitars - that was a cool shop.
                            Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by MonteChristo View Post
                              Anyone have any anecdotal evidence as to how these production models are selling? I notice on ebay that there are not as many as the were just before the 4th batch came out. Economy? sure, but there are not many used ones for sale either.

I don't have any local stores that carry them so I can't see them move to and from the racks like some of you might be able to. So, any stories?
                              To answer your question from a dealers point of view, we have sold several since carrying the Charvel models both limited colors & black production models. I like the San Dimas series & own 2 myself. I made a few mods. to both of mine by installing a brass trem. block & trem. stop I purchased from www.floydroseupgrades.com + I added a EVH D-tuna. I did some minor setup work to them & both guitars are great players. Of couse we don't offer all the mods. I did to my personal guitars but we offered our Charvel San Dimas models we sell as a dealer with a nice SKB Hardshell Case for free & have had great response where most dealers just offer the Charvel gig bag that the San Dimas series comes with. For the money these are great guitars in my opinion. The San Dimas 2 doesn't sell as well as the Socal or the San Dimas 1 & the Polar White is the most popular color made that is until the new batch is released July 3rd & then I think the Taxi Cab Yellow will take the cake!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonpc1 View Post
                                Did you mean www.floydupgrades.com ?

Comment

Working...
                                X