Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone try the graphtech floyd as a replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone ever end up trying one of these out?

Had a hard time here with forum etiquitte.... there was an existing thread on the subject, but it's arguably in the wrong forum. Needs to be in Tech.

EDIT: Whatevah- No response, I'm heading to Tech Q & A SO SCREW YOU GUYS!
    Last edited by Vass; 12-01-2009, 04:19 PM.

Comment

yes, I bought one of those, but I didn´t dare to install and I sold it Again
      I have a Jackson Dinky DK2 made in japan with JT580 tremolo (it`s a low Pro version)

Reasons:
      1-The tremolo looked Cheaper than my Jackson Tremolo
      2-It was smaller than my JT580 tremolo, not only the plate (the original routing pattern was bigger) the distance between pivots was shorter (It cauced to not be centered)
      3-the Tremolo bar is not screwed is put in place with pressure

Since I did`nt installed I can not tell about its sound

Last edited by DrJackson; 12-19-2009, 05:14 PM.

Comment

correct me if im wrong but the point of the open ended knife edge on the left side is so that it can fit a variety of different post spacings. I can't imagine not giving it at least a test run, to see how it sounds at the very least
        THIS IS MY POST
        Thanks for reading

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
          do they do a version of this without the midi crap? i'd be super interested if it was piezo floyd only.
          A midi saddle and a piezo saddle are identical from an engineering standpoint, the only difference is the electronics you install

I´ve been interested in this system since it´s introduction since it´s "the missing link" in something I´ve been masterminding for over a decade. I haven´t tried one myself, but what admittedly really bothers me is that the trem is Made in Taiwan and appears to have the same quality as most other trems sourced from there, just wiith the benefit of the ghost saddles.

Which, interestingly enough, are also the only saddles that they don´t appear sell as replacement saddles, Ghost for Floyd.

I´d definitely have to try one, and still plan to, but I can see myself buying one just for the saddles, buying a set of replacement string saver saddles, and selling the trem as the non-piezo version. I´d likely keep the sadles and put them on an OFR

Comment

The question is wether the saddles themselves can used with an OFR or not. I would never put this tremolo into any decent guitar, the whole thing looks really cheap.

The other thing is that their whole talk about the ghost system being easy to install is really misleading. If you watch their video installation guides, they're actually routing the living hell out of the guitar to make space for the circuit board and a second jack. All that with soothing music in the background, but it still hurts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0LKnIptf0E <-----
            Last edited by max; 12-20-2009, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaneus View Post
              correct me if im wrong but the point of the open ended knife edge on the left side is so that it can fit a variety of different post spacings. I can't imagine not giving it at least a test run, to see how it sounds at the very least
              Yea, but to be completely and perfectly centered it must have a "knife edge" in both sides, if your guitar has a diferent post spacing than it was prepared, it would be not-centered
              I did`t gived a test run because it was like a disappointment, I buyed the MIDI-Set Not the Piezo one that is`t

Originally posted by Zerberus View Post
              Which, interestingly enough, are also the only saddles that they don´t appear sell as replacement saddles, Ghost for Floyd.

I´d definitely have to try one, and still plan to, but I can see myself buying one just for the saddles, buying a set of replacement string saver saddles, and selling the trem as the non-piezo version. I´d likely keep the sadles and put them on an OFR
              I've seen someone sold in Ebay only the Ghost Saddles but at the price of a New OFR 175$ hahah and of course, you must drill your bridge to get the piezo cables out, It Worth the try??

Comment

I can totally see myself cannibalizing one of those...

Originally posted by Zerberus View Post
                A midi saddle and a piezo saddle are identical from an engineering standpoint, the only difference is the electronics you install

I´ve been interested in this system since it´s introduction since it´s "the missing link" in something I´ve been masterminding for over a decade. I haven´t tried one myself, but what admittedly really bothers me is that the trem is Made in Taiwan and appears to have the same quality as most other trems sourced from there, just wiith the benefit of the ghost saddles.

I would also definitely want to keep the OFR baseplate. I've completely tricked one out with their saddles, a FloydUpgrades Brass Big-Block and some stainless steel hardware, but haven't heard it yet because I'm procrastinating about finishing the body it's going on - but I can totally see doing the same- cannibalizing one of their complete bridges if I found one cheap too.

Comment

Working...
                X