Mike Shannon Heavy Relic 1H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
    I get relic'd Strats and Les Pauls, but NO old Charvels ever looked like that. Its just kind of silly to me. Except for the necks - the necks are cool.
    Lets don't be a purist now.....:ROTF:, since we've already deided these new ones can't be compared to........

But seriously. Relics are just another kind of custom "paint job". We used to have polka dots, lightning bolts, criss-crossed striped before they were trademarked, girls, vampires, etc.

and then everyone got hot on traditional looks and playing "dad" guitars. then got bored with that too...so now..relics. No difference. Pay more for something different. But I'll be damned if I pay someone to do it. Been rauining them myself for years. IMHO the best relicing tools are a tight stage, a singer who swings a mic stand like David Coverdale, or a lousy guitar stand. Oh, and trying to get rid of your slide. No matter which direction you toss them they always bounces toward your newest axe.
    Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
    98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Originally posted by 85 San Dimas View Post
      Relics are just another kind of custom "paint job".
      That's probably the right way to look at these.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

My take on the whole "relic" thing is that it is a genius marketing move. You have a guy inadvertantly dump a cart full of bodies while moving them. The bodies fall to the floor putting dents and scrathes. Do you spend the time to refinish them? Hell No!!! Drop them a couple of more times and double the price. It must be nice to not have to worry about a mirror finish. GENIUS!

Comment

I dig the reverse headstock but agree with many of you regarding the relic’d look--I’d rather relic a guitar myself. At least that way I'll have scar stories.

Comment

I would hate to think my hands were EVER that dirty!
            "POOP"

Comment

those are horrible.

anyone who pays more for intentionally grimed and scratched up reject parts put together in a reject mutt is, well, playing right into FMIC's greedy hands.

genius marketing my ass, it's junk that they can apparently sell to stupid people with more money than sense. I guess these days the fact that the stupid market exists and these guys found it qualifies as genius in some quarters.
              the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I wonder how Mike reaaaaaaally feels about this relicing business.

Comment

I think, it's a good thing, that the relict look finally comes to C/J.
                  Now you dont have to care about any ding & dong. No, it'll even increase in value, the more scruffy it looks.
                  '97 KV1 alder

Comment

People are going to look back at these "relic" guitars 50 years from now and think we were... oh never mind I dont want to be too harsh.

Comment

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
                      Why do they go through all the trouble to relic then put a Custom Shop logo on the headstock?

Kind of counterproductive.
                      Wondered that too...

Comment

Working...
                      X