Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The J90C in this is a little bright, any recomendations for a new pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I appreciate the input, but I will point out again, that this guitar in particular is the brightest, nasty sounding, screetchy squonky entirely too many highs, sounding thing you have ever heard. My wife would walk by while I was playing it and say "what the hell is wrong with that thing?"
    That is why I put a tone zone in it in the first place. I'm not a big fan of the tone zone, I just needed to kill the highs on this guitar in particular. I think I may trade the pickup in on a Air Zone while I still can.
    the treble is only a 5 on the tone zone. The air zone has the same EQ as the tone zone but more vintage. I doubt you will like that pickup either. Except for the JB (8 on the treble scale) almost every humbucker will sound like mud with a 250 pot. Your guitar you do what you want.

Comment

So are you saying that a 500k vs. 250k pot alone makes an ENORMOUS difference in the amount of treble a guitar has? More than the amps treble and presence on 10 (500k) vs. 0 (250k)?

I guess I should tear the pickup back out of it and try some others again with the new pot.

Comment

I'd say even if the guitar's acoustic tone is very bright, the 500k pot is really a must, 250k pots work well only with single coils.

However, still the Tone Zone might not be enough to tame those spiky highs, I've had the same problem in the past...
        If you really want to take care of the problem, then the DiMarzio Super 3 is the solution.

It will cut the highs and give you lots of chunky mids, however you will lose tone articulation and attack for sure.

Comment

Working...
        X