No announcement yet.

What corners were cut on the production models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The GC that I used to go to when I still lived in CO almost always had a bunch of cool high-end used guitars and amps.

Comment

• I picked up J0034 at a GC for $500. The only time I've ever been really lucky, so far.

Comment

• My local GC got rid of their used wall and just started mixing the used guitars in with the new ones. It makes it even more impossible to find things in there.
        Scott

Comment

• What idiot thought that up?

I mean, how the hell are you supposed to spot the dented-up used guitars when they're scattered amongst all those dented up new guitars?

Comment

• Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post

What idiot thought that up?

I mean, how the hell are you supposed to spot the dented-up used guitars when they're scattered amongst all those dented up new guitars?
            Now that's funny... and true as well
            Don

Comment

• I have no complaints about GC's used guitars. I got my Custom Shop Kelly (Ex-Jack Frost guitar) there as well as a one hum pointy/OFR USA Charvel, and of course a used Rhoads LTD
              Rudy
              www.metalinc.net

Comment

• Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                I haven't given up on it... 1/32" is not worth giving up on something. FYI, GM Arctic White is a pretty good match.

Ordered some parts for the black one this morning... The black Korean Floyd will become a spare parts donor, to fix the OFR on my DK1.
                Just to get things back on track. I was at my local dealer this morning which is the same place I bought my Pagan Gold So Cal. He has a white SD-1 in there. I checked it out throughly and it is pretty much perfect. It doesn't have any of the issues your guitar has or anything resembling those issues. It was an immaculate and fantastic guitar. I even saw a few birdseyes creeping out of the maple neck. As a matter of fact he has several USA production series Charvels in his shop and none of them have any issues. So with that said, I think that your guitar is just one that got under the radar of QC and I really feel like if you bring it to their attention they'll make it right with you and make you happy. You don't have to take it back to the dealer you got it from or even your closest service center. You can send it to any service center of your choosing. They actually let me take my 2005 reissue Charvel to a certified Fender tech which was closer for me than the service center and someone I trusted. That's one of the advantages of having someone like FMIC as the parent company. Once it was in the techs hands things went like clockwork. I can give you the name and email address of the guy at FMIC I dealt with if need be. Just PM me and I'll send you the info. He was fantastic to work with!

Comment

• I totally agree my white SD1 is not a "typical" production series guitar in terms of quality (my black SD1 and all of the other happy customers are evidence of that) and I honestly appreciate the offer, man. That is really cool of you to do that for me.

But it's 99% done already. The lower side was cake to fix (just smoothed the radius, didn't even hit wood) and a couple of passes with some touch-up paint to build up 1/32" of corner on the top side and it's looking really good when I test-fitted the neck this morning.

The only issue remaining is the 19th fret, which will take me literally 10 minutes to fix.

So I'll put it this way, I'm happy with it... I'm kind of having fun with it. I guess I like to fix guitars as much as play them.

I'm not in any way discouraging people from buying these, but do think they should be on the look out for the occasional "dog." Obviously, it can happen, and has, and probably will again.

Comment

• Well, that's true for any model in any price range - I've seen pics of brand new USA Les Pauls that had horrible issues.

Then again, if you've seen the Made In America episode featuring Gibson and their Memphis facility (which now produces all solidbody electrics), you wouldn't touch another one. Aside from the CNCd bodies (yes, even those famous arched tops are not done by hand), there's the sloppy buffing - the guy was dancing around while buffing the body and the tape that protects the fretboard was peeling off about 5 frets from hitting the buffing wheel.

One can only imagine what was being done to the board, binding, and frets.

Then of course there are even USA Custom Shop issues, with all brands.
                    However, the good ones outnumber the bad ones, even though it still sucks to get a bad one.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Newc View Post
                      Then again, if you've seen the Made In America episode featuring Gibson and their Memphis facility (which now produces all solidbody electrics), you wouldn't touch another one. Aside from the CNCd bodies (yes, even those famous arched tops are not done by hand), there's the sloppy buffing - the guy was dancing around while buffing the body and the tape that protects the fretboard was peeling off about 5 frets from hitting the buffing wheel.
                      After that episode aired, there was some speculation on the future value of the Ratzenbergerburst on the Les Paul Forum.
                      -------------------------
                      Blank yo!

Comment

• Implying that CNC'd bodies are lower quality is a complete misnomer...if anything, they are better/more consistent than a hand made body.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rupe View Post
                          Implying that CNC'd bodies are lower quality is a complete misnomer...if anything, they are better/more consistent than a hand made body.
                          Not only that, but Jackson has been using CNC machines even before Fender bought them. A CNC machine is nothing more than yet one more tool in their shop.
                          Rudy
                          www.metalinc.net

Comment

• I'm all for CNC machines. Someone mentioned earlier (maybe in another thread?) that Gibson does their LP archtops by hand.

The only "luthier" I saw actually touch a guitar in that episode was the guys that did the fretwork, binding, and inlays. The rest of it was machines and what appeared to be "laborers".
                            Last edited by Newc; 05-21-2009, 06:37 AM.
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Newc View Post
                              I'm all for CNC machines. Someone mentioned earlier (maybe in another thread?) that Gibson does their LP archtops by hand.

The only "luthier" I saw actually touch a guitar in that episode was the guys that did the fretwork, binding, and inlays. The rest of it was machines and what appeared to be "laborers".
                              Agreed, from what I saw Gibson CNC'd everything, as does PRS, Washburn and Carvin on the vids I've saw. I don't see the big deal personally. It's not like it affects the tone and if anything it improves the playability.

Comment

• Pretty sure Hamer rough cuts their top carves on a cnc and then hand finishes it (with hand held sanding machines).
                                -------------------------
                                Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                                X