What corners were cut on the production models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
    I'm not going to lie to you, but, to me those pics aren't showing much of an issue.
    I've seen more expensive guitars with larger gaps and cheaper ones with smaller gaps.
    As long as the bolts are good and tight, the neck should be pretty well secured.

It's your guitar, but, I don't see anything there that could be considered "bad".
    +1

Comment

• I don't think that I'd be happy with it personally. Mainly because I'd be afraid that the bottom section of the neck pocket would chip or break off because it looks so thin. The gap would worry me as well. I'd be afraid of the neck shifting later on. I would definately bring it to their attention and see what they say. I know that my So Cal doesn't have any of these issues so I think it's just something that may have slipped through QC. I bet once you get it in their hands that they'll take care of you. Keep us updated.

Comment

• I think I'll just watch and see how this one plays out.................it should be interesting. Keep us posted. I'm sympathetic with your case but not optimistic. If you plan on pursuing this DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT let anyone work on that guitar..........that IS NOT authorized by Fender/Charvel/Jackson to do so or the jig is up.

Just IMO. Good luck.

Increasing funding for the QC dept. would help.
        Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
        98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

• Originally posted by 85 San Dimas View Post
          I think I'll just watch and see how this one plays out.................it should be interesting. Keep us posted. I'm sympathetic with your case but not optimistic.
          Well, here is the thing... I'm not too optimistic about it either.

They've already refused to replace it from existing stock, they want me to "bring it in" so their luthier can "look at it" and "fix it."

The fret is a couple of passes with a file and some steel wool away from being fixed, but the neck pocket can't be "fixed." I don't even want to fuck with driving up to the store to have them tell me they "don't see anything wrong with it." And I fully expect them to, since they took it out of the box and put it on the floor that way.

I'm seriously considering just filing a claim with VISA at this point, but I guess I should give them a chance to "make it right" even though I don't think they will.

Comment

• So we are still discussing the store and not JCMI in terms of the fix it or replace from stock?

Can you contact an Authorized Repair facility outside of that dealer?
            Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

• Yes, the dealer is refusing to replace it from existing stock.

It's 2 weeks old. I just want to exchange it... If I go somewhere else, they're not going to exchange it, because they didn't sell me the guitar and besides they won't have them (no one else in town does, that I'm aware) so it will be sent to Charvel/FMIC.

The fucking action was way over 2 mm when it was hanging on the wall so obviously I can't evaluate any fret issues, so now I'm "on the hook" for "their guy" to fix the issue at his leisure.

The more I think about this, the madder I get.

Comment

• I think the lesson here is to never buy from some place that has a zero return policy - even shitty little Mom and Pop stores should have a 7-day return policy. The way I see it, if you're running a store without a return policy, there's a reason for it.

Now, back to the guitar. Aesthetically, I agree that a gap in the neck pocket sucks, but it happens. As long as the neck is straight and the strings aren't flopping off the fretboard, there's nothing really to worry about. Short of dropping it and doing damage - the neck isn't going to mysteriously "shift" one day. Its bolted in there - its not moving.

The treble side of the neck pocket paint is a little wonky. I've got a serious chip on my treble side (caused by me) but you can kind of see the same kind of wonky paint. To me, this is cosmetic and does not bother me.

Now, as for the action - I think this is pretty subjective - I don't beleive from guitar to guitar you can say the action is going to be x mm's. Now, if there really are high frets or a hump in the fret board, that's one thing - but I would have that checked out (if you're not qualified to to it yourself - all you need is a long straightedge) by an independent tech.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

• Seriously dude... don't get all worked up.
                  If the place you got it from will not exchange it, take it to another Jackson dealer for warranty work.
                  Have them deal with it through a warranty repair/replacement.
                  You'll be without it while if they send it back to JCMI for warranty work, but you will get your guitar dealt with properly.

Sounds like the shop you bought it from are either being dicks about fulfilling their obligations as a JCMI dealer or you simply don't trust them to deal with the issue accordingly.

As for expecting the dealer to do an exchange from existing stock, that is completely their call.
                  JCMI does not require them to do it.

So don't get mad... just get it fixed.
                  If you don't pursue the warranty route, the only one you should be pissed at is yourself.
                  -Rick

Comment

• I agree about the return policy. I don't want to return it... I want to exchange it.

I've already identified it as being #19, it's high. It wasn't hard to find.

Now, how you LIKE the action is subjective, as in, "It could be set to 1.5 mm, but I prefer 2 mm." But the action itself is actually specified by Charvel, with .009 - .042 strings the action should be 1.5 mm. It's right here... http://www.charvel.com/pdf/charvel%20manual.pdf

If you "like" 2 mm action and find that acceptable, that is OK by me. That's about where my Strat is, but that's a Strat.

I also agree it's a cosmetic issue. But, I care about cosmetic issues. Ultimately, it's obvious that Charvel does not, the store does not, and it seems the majority of people who have posted so far don't either.

Maybe I will just smash it against the wall in my basement. It might be theraputic.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                      So don't get mad... just get it fixed.
                      If you don't pursue the warranty route, the only one you should be pissed at is yourself.
                      I'm going to take it up there tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                        Yes, the dealer is refusing to replace it from existing stock.

It's 2 weeks old. I just want to exchange it... If I go somewhere else, they're not going to exchange it, because they didn't sell me the guitar and besides they won't have them (no one else in town does, that I'm aware) so it will be sent to Charvel/FMIC.

The fucking action was way over 2 mm when it was hanging on the wall so obviously I can't evaluate any fret issues, so now I'm "on the hook" for "their guy" to fix the issue at his leisure.

The more I think about this, the madder I get.
                        Ok I get you're pissed.
                        I'm just trying to ID who to be pissed at?

If you take a look at a thread about a CS where Charvel dropped the ball, you can see that we give them their lumps when applicable.
                        I think it was an AK CS that they fukked up for over a year.
                        Plus search for the shit we gave them when they fukked up the trems on some MattMusic CS's and the mess about the Lynch Sub Camo guitars.

That being said, if you bring this up to Jackson, it's possible they will yank the dealership from the dealer. That's why I'm asking you go to another dealer. Make a noise when you are being treated wrongly, just want to aim the anger at the right group.

Sounds like these guys really suck.
                        Last edited by Flatpicker; 05-15-2009, 05:39 PM.
                        Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

• I'm not sure who to be pissed at here, either. I'm kind of pissed at Charvel for the sloppy QC but "shit happens." I understand, and just want them to make it right.

I'm pissed at the dealer, because I don't think this should have made it to the floor, and I don't think I'm unreasonable in wanting an EXCHANGE after 2 weeks, but, you know, they "don't really have an exchange policy" and "don't really do refunds."

Unfortunately, that means going to this store, and attempting to persuade them to exchange it despite their "not really having an exchange policy" which will almost surely fail. I can be nice about it, and I will. But I still expect to be refused.

I think, at that point, I will let them know that I will be taking my $$ elsewhere, and that I'll be working with another dealer to get the warranty issue resolved, and filing a complaint with C/J (EXCELLENT idea, your suggetion of using another dealer, now that I understand why...)

I already made one complaint about these guys because according to Jackson, they're a Jackson dealer, but there are no Jacksons in the store, and when I asked the guy if they had a case for a Jackson Soloist, he said "I don't really know what that is."

Comment

• Again, I urge you to take your instrument to the ASC nearest you. They will call us and speak with a Guitar Tech in Customer Service. This person will probably ask for photo's in this case. He will determine the best course of action and you will be taken care of. These are the terms of the warranty bro and we set them up to protect you. Nobody here, including me can do anything for you until you follow those terms.

Let's get you fixed up!

Mike

Comment

• I'm with you all the way in trying to get this resolved. I think its sub-standard but also..

As unfortunate as this situation is I have to say that if you combine the last post from each of: rjohnstone, flatpicker, and bionic then you have the right information.

If you believe you are in the right don't back down, be pro-active rather than reactive and don't be afraid (at the appropriate time) to pull out the "go elsewhere to get the problem resolved which will include an extremely angry letter to Fender/Charvel/Jackson regarding your treatment. The "Visa Card" (if that will help is a card to be played as well. Just don't go bonklers. Work toward the solution. If its decided that you are screwed over....THATS the time to go bonkers.

Good luck.
                              Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
                              98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

• Well, I've already gone bonkers, you see. I've thrown a tantrum and gotten all worked up, and now... It seems I'm over it.

I'm looking at it right now and I don't care enough to drive it up there and deal with it, versus slapping a little white paint in there to even out the gap and playing it until the frets fall off.

I definitely won't be buying any more of ANYTHING from this dealer, though, it's obvious their "service after the sale" is lacking.

Comment

Working...
                                X