Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 85 San Dimas View Post
    Edited::::: maybe you have a point LOL.

What did they use for the skunk stripe in the other post? I've never heard of collapsing the skunk insert.
    I've never heard of that in my entire guitar life. It should be walnut, it should be hard as hell. I'd love to see some pics on that.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

But not at his price point Bionic.
      I think what Bionic is trying to say is that he shouldnt be comparing his guitar to a so-cal but to the San Dimas model 1. They are closer to being similar as they are both rear loaded. Aside from the pointy headstock, the trem and an extra pickup they are quite similar. I think the guys real problem is that his guitar is a 1 hum, pointy, v-trem guitar that cost him more than a more versatile similar quality guitar can be had for and hes just pissed so he's bashing the new charvels to make his guitar look better. If I remember correctly, those models were bashed as well when thay came out. That being said, I think his guitar is priced to sell and there really is no need for the seller to bash the new Charvels. I think at his price you have to blame the economy if it doesnt sell. I only posted the auction because I thought the description was blatantly ridiculous and inaccurate. It made me laugh and reminded me of some of the earlier posts in this thread that suggested that these might be mexican made guitars. I really didnt think it would stir up this much crap again. I thought everyone would read it and have a good laugh. I guess not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
        That being said, I think his guitar is priced to sell and there really is no need for the seller to bash the new Charvels. I think at his price you have to blame the economy if it doesnt sell.
        Apparantly not priced to sell enough, because it didn't. And I don't think its the economy, its the limited market for a 1 hum Ferarri Red pointy.
        Blank yo!

Comment

• actually Carbuff I'm with you, and it is funny how its described. Bionic has a point, its just that as everyone knows I don't care a lot for "confusion" in the Charvel world.

grandturk, true dat pointy.
          Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
          98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

• I am late to this discussion, but I do get it.

Basically, Charvel is talking out both sides of their mouth - $3k for reissues, EVH series, etc., and $1k for So-Cal, but it's STILL truly Charvel in terms of quality and brand.....

I call it a Mexican Strat Charvel...

"At Charvel, we just charge the extra $2k for fretwork, I guess. Cos our fretters really step up when we put "not So Cal" on the work ticket."
            Last edited by Tito Jackson; 04-15-2009, 11:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tito Jackson View Post
              "At Charvel, we just charge the extra $2k for fretwork, I guess. Cos our fretters really step up when we put "not So Cal" on the work ticket."
              Have a look at the fret ends on a Pro-Mod and then have a look at the fret ends on a Custom shop job. They are both playable, but the Custom Shop's look a hell of a lot better and feel a lot smoother (because they're rounded). I just played a bunch of Custom Shops this weekend and they all had nicer fretwork than the Pro-Mods. That doesn't make the Pro-Mods shit - it makes the Custom Shops better (hint - you pay for better).
              Blank yo!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                Apparantly not priced to sell enough, because it didn't. And I don't think its the economy, its the limited market for a 1 hum Ferarri Red pointy.
                Yes, I agree as I stated that also in that same post. Although, I bet it would have sold if it had a floyd.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bionic View Post
                  It's a one piece neck. No difference in the skunk stripe material.
                  The material may be the same, but it's very thin. At least on my guitar. At that particular spot the skunk stripe broke into 2 bigger pieces and many small ones. I glued the two big ones back and filled the holes with epoxy. It was impossible to put the small ones back together. In the hole I did not see the truss rod. There was some white material under the skunk stripe. Looked like a trussrod sleeve or something like that.

Last edited by busdriver; 04-16-2009, 12:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
                    Yes, I agree as I stated that also in that same post. Although, I bet it would have sold if it had a floyd.
                    It probably would have increased the interest a little bit, at least.
                    Blank yo!

Comment

• Originally posted by busdriver View Post
                      The material may be the same, but it's very thin. At least on my guitar. At that particular spot the skunk stripe broke into 2 bigger pieces and many small ones. I glued the two big ones back and filled the holes with epoxy. It was impossible to put the small ones back together. In the hole I did not see the truss rod. There was some white material under the skunk stripe. Looked like a trussrod sleeve or something like that.
                      Skunk stripe crumbling? That should be warranty work, I would think...
                      Blank yo!

Comment

• Yes, should be. But since I bought this guitar in the US and I'm in Germany it's a bit complicated. Shippping costs there and back are in no decent relation to the value of the guitar. So I fixed it by myself and hope this will not happen again.

Comment

• When it comes to the sale of the 2005 charvels vs the new ones, quality has nothing to do with it. Everyone has been waiting for 25 years for the return of the charvel stratheads.

Comment

But not at his price point Bionic.
                            USA Production Model
                            San Dimas Style 1 = $1049
                            So Cal Style 1 = $1049

Custom Shop
                            San Dimas Style 1 = Approx 3K depending on the specifications
                            So Cal Style 1 = Approx 3k depending on the specifications

My Point... The guitar that we are discussing from the auction is much closer in specification to a San Dimas than a So Cal no matter what the price point.

thanks

Comment

No difference from what (by comparison)? Again never heard/seen a skunk stripe bite the dust....

From time to time, you will find skunk stripes that delam, and or dry and chip away. I have seen it at every price point. This could happen on on a Custom Shop guitar just as easily as it's the same wood. It's a walnut plug...

Busdriver... you should get in contact with Customer Service in your area and see if there are any options...
                              Last edited by Bionic; 04-16-2009, 10:00 AM.

Comment

• I'd send it to:

Mike Shannon
                                c/o Charvel Guitars
                                P.O. Box 245
                                San Dimas, CA. 91773

He works right on the other side of the wall from the Prod guys. Between him and them it'll get fixed up good as new. Charvel does stand behind their stuff. (I'd get the real address though.)

Charvels aren't like the rotten no good Squire stuff. FMICs instruction to the Fender-lic. repair shops on those is: "If it takes more than 15 minutes to fix its cheaper to replace the entire guitar." Charvels are unique and a fender-lic. repair shop isn't going to have a clue how to fix it because its a completely different animal.
                                Last edited by 85 San Dimas; 04-16-2009, 05:51 PM.
                                Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
                                98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Working...
                                X