Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Necks

Originally posted by mudkicker View Post
    I remeber there was some debate here years ago about these early necks with the brass markers possibly being Boogie necks.
    Only one or two Boogie necks had a skunk stripe....The remaining hundreds did not. LOL!

Comment

how about looking at the skunk stripe as it begins, headstock end of the neck?

from what I know,have been told and all that happy h.s., there was a long standing production problem with ALL skunk striped charvel AND jackson necks in that there was an over cut by the bridge port mill resulting in a slight jog in the cut that was not corrected until the late 80s early 90. you'll either see epoxy , finish or filler in that slight over route which will be tell tale.
      if it exists,it would seem that would rule out any fender/other ties.

not sure when this problem began nor were the c.s. guys that provided this info.. but 90% of all the stratheads I have owned seen, etc. do have this to "some " degree.
      Last edited by peedenmark7; 02-11-2009, 04:38 PM. Reason: added info.

Comment

Originally posted by peedenmark7 View Post
        how about looking at the skunk stripe as it begins, headstock end of the neck?

from what I know,have been told and all that happy h.s., there was a long standing production problem with ALL skunk striped charvel AND jackson necks in that there was an over cut by the bridge port mill resulting in a slight jog in the cut that was not corrected until the late 80s early 90. you'll either see epoxy , finish or filler in that slight over route which will be tell tale.
        if it exists,it would seem that would rule out any fender/other ties.

not sure when this problem began nor were the c.s. guys that provided this info.. but 90% of all the stratheads I have owned seen, etc. do have this to "some " degree.
        the headstock end has a 3/32" gap with some type of colored filler and the heal end has a 1/16" gap with nothing to fill the gap. I 'm having a hard time finding someone to do a refret on this thing. So please someone recommend a good person to do this. Thanks.

Comment

Got the rest of your pics Jeff.
          Here they are.

Pic8

Pic9

Pic10

Pic11

Pic12

Pic13

Pic14

Pic15

Pic16

Pic17

Pic18
          -Rick

Comment

Thanks again Rick! these are some better pics, hopefully it will be a little easier to figure out the date of this neck. The last pic is my Brother in law playing the star this neck came off. The pic was taken in '82 and the guitar had been around a while at that point. Crazy looking graphics, huh?

Comment

is this the neck you are currently selling on ebay??

http://cgi.ebay.com/79-CHARVEL-SAN-D...1%7C240%3A1318
              www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
              My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Originally posted by gtrbuyer View Post
                is this the neck you are currently selling on ebay??

http://cgi.ebay.com/79-CHARVEL-SAN-D...1%7C240%3A1318
                Yes it is. Up until yesterday i had no intention of selling it but was informed that my company was put on indefinite furlough. This neck is very sentimental to me as it belonged to my one brother in law who recently passed away. I've been searching for the ash star body that was stolen for the last 3 years to reassemble it but no luck. I had someone offer me a EVH 5150 amp head for it but i really doubt my mortgage lender will accept it as payment.

Comment

Sucks to hear that Jeff.
                  -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                    Sucks to hear that Jeff.
                    Thank you Rick. You've been a great help to me with the pictures. I hope to someday be able to return the favor. I would have liked to post it on the classifieds here but i'm not a platinum member. I would like to thank everyone that shared their knowledge about this neck.

Comment

Throw in $20 for the membership and then you can post in the classifieds.
                      -Rick

Comment

Working...
                      X