Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Production series hardware - floyd rose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
    I hate when I see reference to "better tone.". Tone is subjective. There's different, but better? I don't buy it.
    Tone? Tone is not subjective...it's irrelevent. That's why they put that knob furthest away! All anyone cares about is if it sounds good.

Even though I don't totally agree with NEWC on everything in his post I do have to agree that unless you change mass or density there can't be much change in sustain unless you find a way to create more physical contact (allways a Floyd problem) to allow more sound waves to pass from the metal to the wood at lower levels of vibration. You might have a better bridge , or just more what your ear is used to......if it pleases you go for it...we're with you

What's on the Wolfgang? ..it's 2600.
    Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
    98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

you can always get a different trem arm that doesn't wobble if it bothers you.

Comment

you can always get a different trem arm that doesn't wobble if it bothers you.
        that would be to easy.

Comment

After having played crappy Ibeenhad's Edge trems and swore I'd never use a floyd-style trem again, I now have 4 production models...2 with the Koreans, 1 with an OFR and 1 Ping (in transit). I've found the Korean to be a bit smoother than the OFR, but the OFR feels sturdier by far. I added brass big blocks to all of them and noticed increased sustain over the stock blocks. I can't say that one is tonally better than the other or that sustain is better than the other while stock, but all in all, the Koreans seem to be damn close to the quality of the OFR. I have no problem with mine. Won't know about the Ping until it arrives however.

Comment

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
            After having played crappy Ibeenhad's Edge trems and swore I'd never use a floyd-style trem again
            I've been playing the crap out of the the Lo-Pro Edge on my (new to me) 20 year old 770DX and its solid, stable and sounds like God. I respect Ibanez Edge trems the same as German Floyds.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

I've been playing the crap out of the the Lo-Pro Edge on my (new to me) 20 year old 770DX and its solid, stable and sounds like God. I respect Ibanez Edge trems the same as German Floyds.
              I had nothing but problems with the 2 that I owned. I don't recall which Edge models they were, but one was on an old 540R and the other a cheaper RG350DX. Good to hear yours has worked out for you tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post

Well played.

I'm not a fan of the OFR. Feels like ass to me, I prefer the Schaller floyds like on the late 80/early 90s J/Cs

You know what ass feels like?
                Shibs

Two Reasons Why It's So Hard To Solve A Redneck Murder:

1. The DNA all matches.

2. There are no dental records.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post

+1. When Ibanez decides to get something right they tend to succeed doing it. Especially the older Ibanez guys whoever they are. Bless you.

Oh and I went back an re-read Newcs post again. He's more dead-on IMHO than I gave him credit for originally.
                  Last edited by 85 San Dimas; 03-26-2009, 01:08 AM.
                  Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
                  98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
                    I say trash them all and bring back the mighty JT-6
                    +1

I think it's my favorite double locking trem. Alright build quality could be better, materials etc. Maybe they could bring them back and make them better
                    And i am also in need of a replacement for the one on my Model 4 as it's getting ready to kick the bucket so if they brought them back i would be happy

But yeah, i have no issues with my 'Asian' Floyd.
                    Last edited by Woman_Driver; 03-26-2009, 09:41 PM.
                    Stringed things:
                    Charvel Model 4
                    Charvel NOS Star
                    Gibson SG Special

Comment

Originally posted by Shibs View Post
                      You know what ass feels like?
                      I do. I grab for one every chance I get.
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by AndyK View Post
                        I replaced my stock Korean Floyd with an OFR, and notice a large improvement in quality, and, sustain. Worth every penny to me!

I've got a San Dimas Style 2. Which OFR would fit? Thanks.

Dave

Comment

What do you mean, which one would fit? :think:

The Original Floyd Rose. You want an R3 nut.

And don't listen to the bullshit about "large improvements in quality and sustain" that someone measured with their ears... Any time anyone spends $199 for something and measures it with their ears, they're going to hear an improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                            What do you mean, which one would fit? :think:

The Original Floyd Rose. You want an R3 nut.

And don't listen to the bullshit about "large improvements in quality and sustain" that someone measured with their ears... Any time anyone spends $199 for something and measures it with their ears, they're going to hear an improvement.
                            Thanks. I just was referring to the fact that there are several different Floyds. I didn't assume that they'd all fit. Different post locations? Stuff like that.

And yeah, I agree. You rarely read a post where someone drops a couple hundred on an upgrade and finds they made a mistake.

Comment

Ah, OK, you asked "which OFR"... An OFR is an "Original Floyd Rose" and as far as what you can buy retail currently, there's only one of those.

Comment

Yo yo yo I'm still searching for a "Famous Original Floyd Rose Pro II"
                                -------------------------
                                Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                                X