No announcement yet.

Charvel setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use 10's on my SD-1, here is what I measure (thanks to my handy 64ths metal precision ruler)

1st fret - 1/64th
    6th fret - 1/32
    12th fret - 1/16th

No shims, sandpaper, etc.
    '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
    '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
    '98 PRS Custom 22
    '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

Thanks Andy. I just left mine around 5/64 low and 4/64 high. By the way, I should note that mine is a second batch candy blue. I took the nut off and instead of sandpaper shims they were metal. I removed them. I dont get any buzz so maybe it'll work. However, when intonating and almost getting it tuned up and rocking again, I think I stripped the G string saddle screw. Tightened so far then went loose. I hope I didnt strip the hole out. So I ordered some more screws. There's another five days it wont be played. Maximum frustration.

Comment

That's 5/64 low 12th fret and 4/64 high also 12th.

Comment

I forgot to say. Before i started tuning and the G string saddle screwing up, I had to repair a broken wire in the controls. The Volume pot feel like it's going to screw up soon. These are not 1100.00 guitars people.

Comment

Originally posted by shortguy View Post
            I forgot to say. Before i started tuning and the G string saddle screwing up, I had to repair a broken wire in the controls. The Volume pot feel like it's going to screw up soon. These are not 1100.00 guitars people.
            I agree - the electronics in mine are not impressive. I ordered a CTS volume pot to replace my off-center, hard to turn stock pot. The soldering in mine seems sloppy and not done well too. All fixable, but not first rate old-school Charvel quality by far.

As for the G string saddle, try removing one of the other saddle screws and see if it tightens up in the missing one. If it doesn't, time for an OFR upgrade!
            Last edited by AndyK; 01-08-2009, 03:25 PM.
            '98 PRS Custom 22
            '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

I was afraid you'd say that. If I need a OFR can you suggest the best. Damn.

Comment

Just a stripped screw. I'd still appreciate your all suggestions on a OFR when it comes to that. Notice I said when.

Comment

There is only one OFR!

Comment

I thought there was Gotoh and Schaller

Comment

Originally posted by slash View Post
                      There is only one OFR!
                      And here it is:

http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/brid...floyd_original
                      You sir, can go you fuck yourself and don't let the door hit you in the vagina on the way out.
                      You're such a pretencious, phony, boring, transparent, self righteous worthless fuck..You are amusing as a genital wart!
                      --horns666 - 12/08/08

Hey, if those are fake tits..is fake titty fuggin' cheatin'? I say no!
                      --horns666 - 12/29/08
                      I think your dad jacked off in a flower pot and you were born a blooming idiot.
                      --LouSiffer - 06/25/09

Comment

Originally posted by shortguy View Post
                        I thought there was Gotoh and Schaller
                        Gotoh & Schaller licensed Floyds are not Original Floyd Roses (OFRs)
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Right, Warmoth has the best price on an OFR (the one and only). If it says Schaller, it's not an OFR (although Schaller makes the OFR). Go figure!

I plan on comparing my Korean Floyd with the OFR I should be getting tonight. Weight, plate thickness, etc, for anyone who cares. Nothing scientific, just an examination using a ruler and scale.
                          '98 PRS Custom 22
                          '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

Thanks. Tell us how it goes Andy.

Comment

Make sure you tell us about the string spacing.

Comment

The string spacing is identical to a a Schaller-made OFR. The weight comparison will be interesting, because I'd like to know if these trems are exactly the same as the "Floyd Rose Special" trems that Guitarpartsdepot.com sells for $89. They have diecast zinc saddles and sustain block, which should make the trem lighter. Here are some fantastic side-by-side comparison shots that Mike (XSSIVE) took when he reviewed his production Charvel:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/s...92&postcount=5

Comment

Working...
                                X