MZ Natural Series Necks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MZ Natural Series Necks

I have a swamp ash San Dimas w/maple neck & fretboard from the Music Zoo and absolutely love it. Does anyone know what the neck carve is? is this neck exclusive to the naturals or do all Charvels have this awesome neck?

I've emailed MZ with no replies. I'm thinking of another Charvel natural in mahogany, EVH, or a DiMartini but only if I can get this neck.

Thanks.

The DeMartini and EVH models have a different neck carve to the Musiczoo. I'm not sure what they were spec'd to be though...
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Bummer. Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll go for the mahogany natural or another swamp ash.

Comment

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I have a Koa MZ Natural, and its neck is the finest I have ever played. It is so nice, I'd like to get another as a backup, just to make sure I never have to be without one. Amazing birdseye, too.

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
          I have a Koa MZ Natural, and its neck is the finest I have ever played....Amazing birdseye, too.
          +1.
          I've got a KOA TMZ and indeed it's the finest neck I've played in a while. Charvel is actually very hush hush about dimensions but the info I do have is the neck is a soft C with 6100 frets and a compound radius. The compound being 12” radius at the first fret and 16” at the 12th fret.

I'm thinking of getting Musikraft to replicate it. If anyone else is interested perhaps we can get them aboard to do a limited run for us. Does anyone here have a relationship with Musikraft to ask them?
          Last edited by GuerillaPete; 11-07-2008, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Yes....That was such a killer neck.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the MZ naturals came with the standard Charvel strathead neck carve, plus or minus the usual hand shaping variances.

Comment

Originally posted by bsteff666 View Post
                Yes....That was such a killer neck.
                That's right - I have you to thank for this killer guitar. THANKS!!!

And since every thread needs some eye candy, here's a shot of the neck:

Comment

Can some of you guys with the Koa naturals comment on the tone? I'm trying to decide between that and one of the Mahogany naturals.

Comment

Well, it's hard to say, since I don't have any Koa and non-Koa guitars with the same pickups, but to be honest, as much as I love Koa, I think it is prized for its looks more than any special tonal qualities.

I don't hear any signature tones from my Koa-bodied guitars that I can't get out of my non-Koa guitars. I have 3 Koa guitars (Charvel MZ Natural, Charvel SD1 and Taylor 324CE. About all I can tell you, tone-wise, is the Taylor is quieter than a 7xx series, which would have a Spruce top and Rosewood back and sides.

Comment

I think I remember reading that the Music Zoo's owner Tommy had a really sweet early or pre-pro Charvel neck that he had the custom shop copy to make these necks. I may be wrong, but I think I remember reading something about it
                      Guitars:
                      Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                      1988 Model 2,
                      Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                      RR3
                      Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                      1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                      2005 SG Special

Comment

Mine is very thin and comfortable, great neck.
                        Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Music Zoo has a couple of nice Koas in... tempting

Comment

Based on the Naturals I played at the Music Zoo over the summer, I thought they felt very very similar to the neck on my ProMod. Differences I noticed were in the fret work and figure.
                            -------------------------
                            Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by jrnic View Post
                              I think I remember reading that the Music Zoo's owner Tommy had a really sweet early or pre-pro Charvel neck that he had the custom shop copy to make these necks. I may be wrong, but I think I remember reading something about it
                              That was my understand as well. Whatever TMZ used is fine by me as my TMZ neck is perfect.
                              -Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X