Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Duncan '59 in Charvel USA Production?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Duncan '59 in Charvel USA Production?

I was wondering if Charvel uses the SH-1b or the SH-1n in the new USA Charvels in the neck position. I know that a lot of guitars just come with two SH-1b pickups in the both the neck and bridge positions, as they are wound more like the older PAFs. Can someone open theirs up and see if it is the SH-1n or SH-1b?

Originally posted by waylay00 View Post
    I was wondering if Charvel uses the SH-1b or the SH-1n in the new USA Charvels in the neck position. I know that a lot of guitars just come with two SH-1b pickups in the both the neck and bridge positions, as they are wound more like the older PAFs. Can someone open theirs up and see if it is the SH-1n or SH-1b?
    my SDS1 has a 59n
    FWIW both the 59n and b models are based on old P.A.F's
    Old original 50's P.A.F's were very inconsistant(different ammount of windings,different magnets,materials) so there is NO one P.A.F tone
    some were wound as low as 7K and as high as 9k some used alnico II's some had 5's and a few had III's
    the 59b in the neck sounds a bit fatter and has more output since it is wound hotter than the neck model
    Last edited by savage; 08-05-2008, 07:20 AM.
    If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

mine is the sh-1n

Comment

Mine too, SH 1 N...

Comment

Originally posted by savage View Post
          my SDS1 has a 59n
          FWIW both the 59n and b models are based on old P.A.F's
          Old original 50's P.A.F's were very inconsistant(different ammount of windings,different magnets,materials) so there is NO one P.A.F tone
          some were wound as low as 7K and as high as 9k some used alnico II's some had 5's and a few had III's
          the 59b in the neck sounds a bit fatter and has more output since it is wound hotter than the neck model
          Yeah, I realize that a lot of the pickups were overwound and underwound inconsistently. But Gibson targeted for a spec of 8.1K, the same spec as the SH-1B bridge model. The neck is a only 7K, so theoretically the bridge model should be closer the exact specs/. But I understand what you are saying.

Anyways, to those who responded, thanks! I grabbed an SH-1N of eBay. I've got a Kramer Focus that has almost identical specs as the USA Production series (alder body, OFR, JB in bridge, and now 59 in neck), so this will cure the GAS for a Charvel in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by waylay00 View Post
            Yeah, I realize that a lot of the pickups were overwound and underwound inconsistently. But Gibson targeted for a spec of 8.1K, the same spec as the SH-1B bridge model. The neck is a only 7K, so theoretically the bridge model should be closer the exact specs/. But I understand what you are saying.

Anyways, to those who responded, thanks! I grabbed an SH-1N of eBay. I've got a Kramer Focus that has almost identical specs as the USA Production series (alder body, OFR, JB in bridge, and now 59 in neck), so this will cure the GAS for a Charvel in the meantime.
            yeah i was not in any way implying you did not know your stuff
            i just wanted to state that "some" players mistake the word P.A.F for a tone
            as you already know there is no one P.A.F tone and yes you are definitely right the target resistance for a P.A.F gibson is 8K which is 5000 turns per coil of AWG 42 PE wire.
            the 59b is the neck is real good though if you find the neck one to lack output or fattness.
            I have used those and gibsons classic 57 plus(9K) in the neck with great results
            If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Working...
            X