Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel neck question

Hey guys,
    I was just wondering something. I've noticed this on all the pointy head Charvels that I've played when I've thought to look. Why is the wood of the neck cut and glued in such a way that you see the seam in a large U shaped pattern coming from about the headstock up to about the 4th or 5th fret? Does this make the neck stronger? Do they do it because of the tilt on the headstock? I"m just curious...

It makes is stronger and saves alot on wood waste.

Comment

It's called a scarf joint. They do it on the Jackson pointyhead necks, too.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
        It's called a scarf joint. They do it on the Jackson pointyhead necks, too.
        ah bet me to it
        If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

They don't do this on strat heads though do they?

Comment

Originally posted by beachjammer View Post
            They don't do this on strat heads though do they?
            Because stratheads are not angled backwards
            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DHardmanJr View Post
              Because stratheads are not angled backwards
              +1. Scarf joints are really only needed for neck designs with steeply-angled headstocks. Stratheads - which aren't angled - don't need them. Wouldn't save much wood material when making necks with that design, either.

Comment

That's what I was thinking but was just curious and wanted to know. A buddy of mine asked me about it and I'd told him that it was because of the headstock angle and to make it stronger but I just wasn't for sure. Thanks for the info guys!

Comment

Working...
                X