No announcement yet.

Hey guys read this! USA PRODUCTION OWNER reviews his new san dimas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I played a couple customs that were painted that I almost bought. I am not biased against painted guitars just guitars in general that don't sound or feel right. Wow you guys get your feather ruffled around here easily. Like I said if your happy with your mediocre PRO MODS more power to you. But to say they are even close to a CS version is just wrong.
    Only around trolls that like to stir up shit do I get annoyed. I personally never said they were as good as a custom shop and since I almost never buy new I think $650 I paid for my pro mod it was well worth it.
    since you don't own any painted guitars you are biased against them-almost (buying) is only good for horseshoes and hand-grenades .

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
      Only around trolls that like to stir up shit do I get annoyed. I personally never said they were as good as a custom shop and since I almost never buy new I think $650 I paid for my pro mod it was well worth it.
      since you don't own any painted guitars you are biased against them-almost (buying) is only good for horseshoes and hand-grenades .
      You assume a lot. I said I don't own any painted charvels. I have several painted vintage fenders and Gretsch. Get over the troll part. If you read my posts I offered information that was asked. It was all the dudes that live in fantasy land that think their PRO MOD charvels can be as good as a custom with a few "upgrades". If anyone is trolling it's the guys that are claiming Pro Mods are a quality guitar.

I would agree with you $650 seems like a fair price to pay for one.
      Last edited by voodoosound; 05-29-2009, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Thats all I own is raw wood charvels.
        You assume a lot.
        read your own quote!
        [QUOTE]I have several painted vintage fenders and Gretsch. QUOTE]poly and laquer are not the same tone wise.
        Get over the troll part.
        GIving info is one thing, acting like you are better then everyone else is another. There are many more member here that have much more knowledge and a lot better collections then you and they don't talk down to people. So GET OVER YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Rich#6;1248009]read your own quote!
          I have several painted vintage fenders and Gretsch. QUOTE]poly and laquer are not the same tone wise.
          GIving info is one thing, acting like you are better then everyone else is another. There are many more member here that have much more knowledge and a lot better collections then you and they don't talk down to people. So GET OVER YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!
          I'm not a collector I'm a player so you got me there. Also, never claimed to be all knowing. Just pointing out the obvious or I guess not so obvious to some. And if anything in my posts has made you or anyone else feel inferior thats not my doing. I can see this going nowhere fast so I will graciously step away form this thread.
          Last edited by voodoosound; 05-29-2009, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by voodoosound View Post
            And if anything in my posts has made you or anyone else feel inferior thats not my doing.
            Naw, guy, you didn't make anyone feel inferior. You made everyone feel like you think you're superior. And condescending, too.

Comment

Awesome review - I love the pics and additional posts responding to the good questions. Thanks, Mike!

Comment

Originally posted by voodoosound View Post
                Thats all I own is raw wood charvels. Huge tonal differences between raw wood and painted guitars. But thats common knowledge.
                That's all tonehound bullshit, if you ask me. "Ooohh, so and so sneezed on my guitar - it sounds better."

I've played new guitars, old guitars, raw guitars, nitro, poly - everything under the sun - and I would be hard pressed to ever suggest that there's a big difference from one finish to another or lack there-of.

Is there a big difference from guitar to guitar - absolutely. But throw a coat of paint on a guitar and say it sounds different - sorry, I don't buy it (and I know a lot of people do - but I don't).
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

Sorry didnt mean to start crap!! However I can hang with the fact that many feel the CS has a superior foundation. No need to walk away from the thread. I am not 100% ready to jump on that one...having trouble believing the raw materials are so much better, but certainly understand theres a lot more work and care in the custom instrument. But I think it is equally deluded to think that only the Custom Shop is quality when I have picked up many special production instruments. I just think its short sighted to think the Pro Mod anything but a quality instrument. All the parts, with some arguement on the trem...are the same parts found on custom instruments, and I still think you can set it up to play equally as well. But as Voodoo is saying, if the woods being chosen in the CS are truly better sounding... better than the production guitars...if anyone can weigh in on that I am all ears, because the next guitar I buy is not one I need...so I can afford to wait and save until the right guitar comes along. Its likely I will have to buy a CS instrument sight unseen...and dont wanna find out that I have bought into hype on that front and paid a whole lot more for something that sounds marginally better. Listen, i will say it again, if I had unlimited resources....I wouldnt bother going shopping, I would just order a guitar. But in todays world, I wont part with any money I dont absolutely need to part with. I make money to live on with my guitars...if the CS guitar will help me earn more, I will consider it! i just want to get at the truth about things...gotta feeling its probably in the middle...Customs might be inflated..and Pro Mods might not offer enough...that leaves a huge middle ground uncovered. I wish you could order a guitar, with standard appointments for the middle range of 1500-1600. Nothing special...just an alder body, couple of pickups, Original Floyd...nothing that requires anything special, and get the woods and care that goes into custom. To me that would be ideal. I was really sad that the 2005 pointies went away...because I would be tickled to be able to order one of those guitars and just chose the basic color, fretboard wood, maybe have the option of a strat-head...and pay like $1600. I was able to get my 2005 pointy for $1100 new so I am already jaded!! Ha hA!

Comment

Originally posted by chmizell View Post
                    Sorry didnt mean to start crap!! However I can hang with the fact that many feel the CS has a superior foundation. No need to walk away from the thread. I am not 100% ready to jump on that one...having trouble believing the raw materials are so much better, but certainly understand theres a lot more work and care in the custom instrument. But I think it is equally deluded to think that only the Custom Shop is quality when I have picked up many special production instruments. I just think its short sighted to think the Pro Mod anything but a quality instrument. All the parts, with some arguement on the trem...are the same parts found on custom instruments, and I still think you can set it up to play equally as well. But as Voodoo is saying, if the woods being chosen in the CS are truly better sounding... better than the production guitars...if anyone can weigh in on that I am all ears, because the next guitar I buy is not one I need...so I can afford to wait and save until the right guitar comes along. Its likely I will have to buy a CS instrument sight unseen...and dont wanna find out that I have bought into hype on that front and paid a whole lot more for something that sounds marginally better. Listen, i will say it again, if I had unlimited resources....I wouldnt bother going shopping, I would just order a guitar. But in todays world, I wont part with any money I dont absolutely need to part with. I make money to live on with my guitars...if the CS guitar will help me earn more, I will consider it! i just want to get at the truth about things...gotta feeling its probably in the middle...Customs might be inflated..and Pro Mods might not offer enough...that leaves a huge middle ground uncovered. I wish you could order a guitar, with standard appointments for the middle range of 1500-1600. Nothing special...just an alder body, couple of pickups, Original Floyd...nothing that requires anything special, and get the woods and care that goes into custom. To me that would be ideal. I was really sad that the 2005 pointies went away...because I would be tickled to be able to order one of those guitars and just chose the basic color, fretboard wood, maybe have the option of a strat-head...and pay like $1600. I was able to get my 2005 pointy for $1100 new so I am already jaded!! Ha hA!
                    Bro - first of all - paragraphs!

Second - there's a been a lot of "ProMod is crap compared to Custom Shop" around lately, so people are on edge on both sides.

I look at it this way - If I want a solid rock guitar with a limited array of options in a limited amount of colors, that is built on a production line - I'll buy a ProMod (which I did). If I want a completely custom built guitar - made to order - to my exact specs with anything I want, and meticulously built by a small handful of craftsmen - then I'll buy a Custom Shop (which I kind of did with the Adrian Smith Jackson - still on order - hurry the fuck up Jackson!!!).

In other words, if you order a black, two hum, maple board custom shop Charvel - I think you're an idiot (no offense). There's not going to be much about that guitar that's worlds apart from a ProMod - in my opinion.

Again - IMO - for a G-note, the ProMod is a great guitar. For 2.5 grand - a Custom Shop is also a great guitar. Is it worth that extra 1500? That's not for me to tell you, because, honestly, I don't beleive you're getting and extra $1500 worth of guitar - but you are getting $1500 worth of other stuff - cache, options and choice, fit and finish, attention to detail, etc.

I love pics:

Stock:

Modded:

#1 improvement? Super Distortion at the bridge (awesome).
                    Last edited by Grandturk; 05-29-2009, 08:41 PM.
                    -------------------------
                    Blank yo!

Comment

Paragraphs yes! ha ha.....I was thinking along the same lines as what you said....

"In other words, if you order a black, two hum, maple board custom shop Charvel - I think you're an idiot (no offense). There's not going to be much about that guitar that's worlds apart from a ProMod - in my opinion."

Anyone weigh in on this??

If that guitar starts at or above $2000....right on! If am already at that price point, might as well trick it out! Sadly I will never be able to justify that kind of money on a guitar unless someday I get rich..and even then....uh....I will look forward to trying to find a used CS for less than $1500...if thats possible!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                        Bro - first of all - paragraphs!

Second - there's a been a lot of "ProMod is crap compared to Custom Shop" around lately, so people are on edge on both sides.

I look at it this way - If I want a solid rock guitar with a limited array of options in a limited amount of colors, that is built on a production line - I'll buy a ProMod (which I did). If I want a completely custom built guitar - made to order - to my exact specs with anything I want, and meticulously built by a small handful of craftsmen - then I'll buy a Custom Shop (which I kind of did with the Adrian Smith Jackson - still on order - hurry the fuck up Jackson!!!).

In other words, if you order a black, two hum, maple board custom shop Charvel - I think you're an idiot (no offense). There's not going to be much about that guitar that's worlds apart from a ProMod - in my opinion.

Again - IMO - for a G-note, the ProMod is a great guitar. For 2.5 grand - a Custom Shop is also a great guitar. Is it worth that extra 1500? That's not for me to tell you, because, honestly, I don't beleive you're getting and extra $1500 worth of guitar - but you are getting $1500 worth of other stuff - cache, options and choice, fit and finish, attention to detail, etc.

I love pics:

Stock:

Modded:

#1 improvement? Super Distortion at the bridge (awesome).
                        LOL!! You disagree with me yet you prove my point. You have what at least $400 in upgrades to you PRO MOD?

BY the way regarding paint vs non paint there is a reason why Wayne owned Charvel he only offered RAW wood guitars. THe only reaosn today he paints them is becuase folks prefer a pretty paint job to the tonal qualities of good wood. Thats why guitars are made from so many different kinds of wood. THats also why you never see raw poplar guitars yet 80% of guitars made today are made from poplar because the paint is so thick it doesn't matter.

It's all cool guys I'm not trying to rain on any bodies parade I just come from a different school of thought apparently and I have had the privelage of seeing the workings of how both guitars are manufactured.

Take care and enjoy your Charvels!
                        Last edited by voodoosound; 05-29-2009, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Well, he is still under the cost of a CS...even used! Having said that...if I can find a CS guitar used for under 1500, I will give it the Pepsi challenge! I have seen those Retro Stars go pretty low....although no Floyd....opinions on those?

Comment

Damn Mr Grandturk... Your mods look awesome!

And yeah, personally I'm getting pretty sick of people trashing the Pro Mods. Don't like them, don't buy them... But some people sound pretty arrogant with their negative opinions... And that's all they are. Opinions. Not "fact". Even the "facts", such as the supposed lack of quality with the Korean floyd, are just certain peoples opinions. Things like sound are subjective... I've heard plenty of high end "custom" guitars that sounded like ass to me, and many "cheap" guitars that sounded good.

Any guitar that inspires me to play more often is a valuable tool, and the Pro Mods I've played meet that criteria. If they don't meet someone elses, fine...They should just find a guitar that does.

Comment

Originally posted by chmizell View Post
                              Well, he is still under the cost of a CS...even used! Having said that...if I can find a CS guitar used for under 1500, I will give it the Pepsi challenge! I have seen those Retro Stars go pretty low....although no Floyd....opinions on those?
                              THat is true but he still doesn't have the quality of a CS or the reslae value should he decide he doesn't like it anymore. Because no matter how many upgrades are done to that guitar it will always be a PRO MOD.

On a different note I think it looks cool.

Ok guys gotta go know it's been fun.

Comment

And if anything in my posts has made you or anyone else feel inferior thats not my doing.
                                You just don't get it. You don't make me feel inferior you just annoy me. The debate over these guitars aside you can't see past your own ego to see that you are just being an asshole.

Comment

Working...
                                X