Bought a New SoCal Charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a New SoCal Charvel

I got a new Charvel Strat from Curt at Squid Music Curt is a great person to deal with and the service was top notch!! Thanks Curt! The guitar is AWESOME. The neck is perfect. Just like the old Charvels…rolled edges, not too big, but not too small, super smooth finish. Frets are top notch as well. No buzzing anywhere and they were polished to a smooth shine. The neck angle is correct and the string alignment is perfect (Everyone one of my USA Jacksons was biased to one side or the other). I did adjust the action and the Floyd a little though. Nothing big deal, but I actually don’t like super low action. The body looks great, Red Metal flake. After opening up the body cavities, I noticed that they sprayed the undercoat silver metal flake and then add the red to the top. The body looks flawless. I cant even see where the 3 piece body comes together (maybe it is a one piece.. Lol). Electronics are wired good and CTS pots are used. The solder job was a bit sloppy though. I think they needed a hotter iron to get smooth joints. The pickups are Seymour Duncan and sound good. My only complaint is the volume knob. It is a knurled brass knob with a thick flat black coating. It looks and feels like crap. I really like that they give you the good Floyd tremolo bar and include the allen key holder that goes on the back of the headstock. They don’t install it though. They give you a choice to install it or not… which I really like since I don’t need it there, I just leave them in the case. It even came with Dunlop strap locks!! (which I removed and used Dimarzio locking strap ala Yngwie). Gig bag is a joke. It is better than most gig bags, but come on, it is a USA made guitar. Source out a good case. I bought an SKB strat case for mine. All in all, it is a KILLER guitar for the money and I plan on buying another one… it is that good!!!

2 quick pics:

Last edited by psychodave; 07-16-2008, 08:59 PM.

Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by psychodave View Post
      I got a new Charvel Strat from Curt at Squid Music Curt is a great person to deal with and the service was top notch!! Thanks Curt! The guitar is AWESOME. The neck is perfect. Just like the old Charvels…rolled edges, not too big, but not too small, super smooth finish. Frets are top notch as well. No buzzing anywhere and they were polished to a smooth shine. The neck angle is correct and the string alignment is perfect (Everyone one of my USA Jacksons was biased to one side or the other). I did adjust the action and the Floyd a little though. Nothing big deal, but I actually don’t like super low action. The body looks great, Red Metal flake. After opening up the body cavities, I noticed that they sprayed the undercoat silver metal flake and then add the red to the top. The body looks flawless. I cant even see where the 3 piece body comes together (maybe it is a one piece.. Lol). Electronics are wired good and CTS pots are used. The solder job was a bit sloppy though. I think they needed a hotter iron to get smooth joints. The pickups are Seymour Duncan and sound good. My only complaint is the volume knob. It is a knurled brass knob with a thick flat black coating. It looks and feels like crap. I really like that they give you the good Floyd tremolo bar and include the allen key holder that goes on the back of the headstock. They don’t install it though. They give you a choice to install it or not… which I really like since I don’t need it there, I just leave them in the case. It even came with Dunlop strap locks!! (which I removed and used Dimarzio locking strap ala Yngwie). Gig bag is a joke. It is better than most gig bags, but come on, it is a USA made guitar. Source out a good case. I bought an SKB strat case for mine. All in all, it is a KILLER guitar for the money and I plan on buying another one… it is that good!!!
      I will post a few pics later.
      I think you mean you bought a san dimas style 1?
      If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Originally posted by savage View Post
        I think you mean you bought a san dimas style 1?
        YUP!

Comment

Yeah, the guitar Dave got is the red San Dimas style 1. He had me play it for him first and that guitar was the first from this first batch I had played and I was thrilled with it.

Comment

I was in Squid today and tried out a black tele. I was so impressed with its playability. It was much better than I expected. The store guy that I talked to was very cool (was that you Curt???). I'll definitely be getting an SD1 in the future when they have a color I like. I do have to say that I also do not like the knob, but that's a simple fix. Great USA made Charvel at a killer price. Can't go wrong.
            Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
            www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

sounds like someone needs to look into being a sponsor here.

sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                sounds like someone needs to look into being a sponsor here.

sully
                Sully,
                How do I do that? I keep trying to send an email and it won't do it?

Comment

Originally posted by fullmetalguitar View Post
                  I was in Squid today and tried out a black tele. I was so impressed with its playability. It was much better than I expected. The store guy that I talked to was very cool (was that you Curt???). I'll definitely be getting an SD1 in the future when they have a color I like. I do have to say that I also do not like the knob, but that's a simple fix. Great USA made Charvel at a killer price. Can't go wrong.
                  Yeah man, that was me. It was fun listening to you play. You RIP! Holy smoke.

Comment

Originally posted by Chubtone View Post
                    I keep trying to send an email and it won't do it?
                    Best way to get in touch with the admins is to send them a PM. Look for Sandman0170, ~K~, Ralph E., or toejam here:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/memberlist.php

Comment

I added a few pics

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                        Best way to get in touch with the admins is to send them a PM. Look for Sandman0170, ~K~, Ralph E., or toejam here:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/memberlist.php

hello....
                        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I have flown to the LA area about 7 times for work in Cypress. Each time I go there, I end up staying in a hotel right down the road from Squid Music. I have been really wanting to stop in there but I can't get away from work long enough while I'm there to get it done. Maybe next time I'll have the powers that be schedule my travel so that I'm there an extra day.
                          Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

Originally posted by psychodave View Post

Hey Dave! Nice to see you back. Sweet guitar!!!
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Love the color!!
                              Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X