No announcement yet.

Were these old san dimas necks flukes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were these old san dimas necks flukes?

I owned a 81 strat with two buckers and my buddy owned a single bucker 81 star with a chessy lightning bolt graphic running from tip to tip(looked like shazam or something)
    both of these had really thin necks (front to back) and medium jumbo frets
    i have read here that traditionally charvels from back then really did not have super thin necks?
    where these two freaks?
    If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

I don't think they're freaks at all. The necks had more variation in them during the early years than they did later on. Some had a more full profile, and others were really thin.

Comment

Not freaks at all...they were all hand carved back then. Anyone who talks about a neck having the profile of an old Strat-head is full of shit as they were all different. I've found more of them to have a fuller profile, but I've encountered many thin ones as well.
      Once pointies hit the market, necks were much more consistent but there was still variation even then.

Comment

I have a real thin one, a couple of fuller ones and a few right in the middle. A member here has a serious collection that demonstrate that they are all over the place (Gtrbuyer). The only consistency that I have found is that there seems to be some consistency among nut widths in my experience (like I have played some 1 3/4 from the same general time frame and they feel alike etc., some of the 1 5/8 nut guitars tend to feel alike)
        "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

thanks guys
          is there a good source to buy old originals?
          My old 81 was this one only with a maple board
          http://www.jcfonline.com/gallery/cha...hristopher.jpg

do any of these have that super thin profile?
          http://www.themusiczoo.com/charvelguitars.htm
          Last edited by savage; 03-14-2008, 09:56 AM.
          If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

No idea where to find old ones except for eBay & the occasional classified ad. The new stratheads are pretty consistent and are a bit thicker than the pointies. I love the profile, but if you're looking for a real thin one you will be disappointed. Musikraft can make you a nice thin neck for about 1/3 to 1/2 of what you'll have to pay for an original.

Comment

I have two old-school Charvel 1 3/4" nut width necks and they are quite similar in profile...the older of the two might be slightly thinner than the newer one, but barely noticeable...
              I'd suggest Musikraft as well. You can even specify the thickness if you check out the options on the neck order page.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                No idea where to find old ones except for eBay & the occasional classified ad. The new stratheads are pretty consistent and are a bit thicker than the pointies. I love the profile, but if you're looking for a real thin one you will be disappointed. Musikraft can make you a nice thin neck for about 1/3 to 1/2 of what you'll have to pay for an original.
                I have a MIJ charvel body that i could use a neck for
                these musickrafts are real simlar to the old charvel feel?

Comment

Working...
                X