Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Shop Star mods

Howdy fellow Charvel-heads!
    Question: I have a USA Custom shop Star with an OFR and one sweet DiMarzio Hum p-up. Thing plays like a dream. Problem is, I really miss having two p-ups and toggling in between for those nice sweep runs and funky tones. I am hesitant to put it under the knife and add a second pickup and toggle for fear of ruining the value, if not the appearance. On the other hand, I really get bored with the one p-up sound and am willing to forego the current so-so one color paint scheme for a new custom job, should I decide to have a second P-up cavity added. Whataya think? Make it MY guitar with all the features and graphics I want or keep it stock and sell it for cash to get one built exactly as I like?

Make it yours.
    Why go through the hassle and wait time to build another.
    If you do this one properly, it should have negligible if any impact on its value.
    So get the router warmed up.
    -Rick

Comment

Agreed...especially since it is a solid color. If it were an old 80's SD era star, that would be different. Since it's a newer one, I'd add that p/u straight away, and get down to business.

Comment

Either that, or get a replacement star body made to your specs, and get that painted - that way you can still return the Charvel to 'factory' specs....
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by surfdork View Post
          Agreed...especially since it is a solid color. If it were an old 80's SD era star, that would be different. Since it's a newer one, I'd add that p/u straight away, and get down to business.

I'm inclined to agree. The Star has sentimental value above and beyond monetary value. It's be bitchin' to get it painted up with some of my own design/graphics. The routing I will leave to someone more talented than I. Then it's shred city, me Droogs!

Comment

Originally posted by surfdork View Post
            I caught holy hell for suggesting mods to an old one recently and did recant. Its easy for other people to say it, but I think that if you think that you may want to sell for whatever reason or you intend to hold onto the guitar for a long time, I would really consider the replacement body idea. Best of both worlds IMHO.
            "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Originally posted by RR05xx View Post
              I caught holy hell for suggesting mods to an old one recently and did recant. Its easy for other people to say it, but I think that if you think that you may want to sell for whatever reason or you intend to hold onto the guitar for a long time, I would really consider the replacement body idea. Best of both worlds IMHO.
              Some genius thought it was a great idea to add a tone control and strip the clear finish off the back of my Model 88. I can imagine the thought process:
              "Ah, well, it's not a USA, nobody will care...it will never be of any value".
              I didn't know it at the time, and really no skin off my back, but I really would have liked the guitar to remain original.
              I screw around with franken-parts guitars a lot, but there's some I don't mess with. No sense in messing up what might hold some value in the future. Strats used to be considered pretty mid-line in the 60's, try thinking of getting an unmolested mid 60's strat now for a good price.

Comment

Originally posted by RR05xx View Post

My Star ain't old- Figuring circa 2002- 2004 with the reverse pointy headstock, single Dimarzio humbuck and an OFR. The paint scheme is yellow with black binding and black hardware, The headstock is alaso yellow and has a fairly unique double logo which the store suggested made it more valuable. I don't really give a rat's a$$ about the monetary value (unless it's rediculously valuable) I dig the shape and the playability and would like to make it more playable with the addition of a 2nd HB, a 3 way toggle switch and some cool painted graphics. Just not sure if it's a wise move or if it is gonna ruin the axe.

Comment

Have a pro do the mod and nobody but you will know it didn't come that way from Charvel.
                  Seriously... it's your guitar... do what you need to do to make it truly YOUR guitar.
                  -Rick

Comment

Being that it's a custom shop model, it's basically a "one of a kind" anyway with no other guitar out there to compare it with. If you ordered it with the 2 pickups to begin with, it would still be a "one of a kind." It's still a custom shop guitar with one or two pickups. It'll be just like you ordered it from the CS that way. As long as it's done professionally (to keep up the CS value), I say go for it.
                    Guitars:
                    Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                    1988 Model 2,
                    Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                    RR3
                    Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                    1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                    2005 SG Special

Comment

i might not mod it. if it was a standard star sure, but given its a bound body, reverse headstock it might be worth something if left stock. u can probably pick up a used one for what adding a pickup & graphic will cost you....at least if u live in the states.

Comment

I have a brand new Charvel USA Star Body that's HSS routed and loaded with Seymour Duncans. It's painted red. I'd be interested in selling or trades.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

I'll have to pass on that. Thanks anyway. If I modify my existing or buy another Star, it will be an HH configuration, recessed OFR, 1 Vol, 1 Tone and a 3 Way toggle on the lower, front "horn". The body will have custom graphics too ugly and juvenile to mention here. LOL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                            Either that, or get a replacement star body made to your specs, and get that painted - that way you can still return the Charvel to 'factory' specs....
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-XStar-Guitar...QQcmdZViewItem

And it looks like he'll do custom routing if you ask nicely! Paint it yourself, and you're out the door for under $200. You don't like it? Put your old axe back together, re-sell this body on ebay for $100 and there's no remorse, just a wallet that's $100 lighter...
                            Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Buy a replacement body or get a new guitar to your specs. I've seen mod jobs go bad and then you've essentially trashed your instrument. There is so much out there these days that complete overhauls like you suggest just aren't necessary or worth the risk of having them not turn out like you expected. An example is a friend who had a single hum turned into a H/S/H and it never sounded the same...it "lost" something even when using the same bridge humbucker by itself.

Any mods done on this guitar now most likely won't have a significant impact on value, but if you are one who cares about the value of your instruments then it will most certainly have a major effect down the road. I personally don't usually care about that but its always something to consider.

Comment

Working...
                              X