Charvel San Dimas I? ID Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel San Dimas I? ID Help

Hey guys, a friend of mine has a USA Charvel that he'd like to verify the age of. It looks to me like a San Dimas I Koa. Koa body, rosewood board with birdseye maple neck, OFR, single volume and blade switch.

Serial number is 002126, Jackson neck plate. Am I right in thinking that this was one of the early '95 reissues?

Here's a pic, sorry he didn't have anything better.

Also, if it's not too much trouble I'm picking this guy up:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=138639793

Is it the same series? I don't have any info on it yet other than what's in the ad. What body wood is that, I can't tell?

Comment

Here ya go...
      http://audiozone.dk/cm/displayimage.php?album=58&pos=3

Yes, they are both SD re-issues from 95/96.
      -Rick

Comment

Awesome, I'd looked up Hendrik's website but I just wanted confirmation from you guys seeing as I know nothing about Charvel USAs. Thanks.

Is the body of the second one mahogany or koa, if anyone can tell from the pics?

Comment

Click on the pics to see the larger version.
          Should be Mahogany though.
          -Rick

Comment

Yeah, that's an early SD1 - Jackson plate and 5 way (and probably a Jackson logo'd Schaller trem) identify it as an early one.

Difficult to tell on the body wood of the 'other' one, but I'd say mahogany as it's certainly not lacewood and doesn't look figured enough for the koa versions.
            Popular is not the same as good
            Rare is not the same as valuable
            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Congrats Ed, I was hovering over that Buy Now as well...But didnt have the cash

Oh well...have fun with it. Another deal due to the sellers lack of knowledge and advertising...

Oh its Jack from NZG by the way lol
              Jason Becker / Paul Gilbert Wannabe

Comment

Hmmm I should have recognized the "Jason Becker/Paul Gilbert" thing

When did you go straight edge? :P

Comment

Hey, thanks for the replies guys - he has one more question, how much did these retail for new? There are some numbers in Hendrik's catalog scan, but I can't really tell what currency it's supposed to be in.

Comment

With the Jackson plate (it should also have a skunk stripe on the neck maybe?) it's a 94 or VERY early 95. Most Jackson plated SD's have a Schaller Floyd, but there may have been a transition period. They are GREAT guitars.

Comment

Here was mine, it had a Jackson plate also. and a skunk stripe .http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...g?t=1203600779
                      Last edited by jacksonaxes; 02-21-2008, 08:39 AM.
                      METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

. . . and here's mine, revealing its Jackson plate and skunk stripe:

Mine is Koa, as you can see. I would recommend that you grab one if you can, as it is a wonderful guitar. I have been told the board is Pau Ferro. Can anyone confirm or refute that?

Comment

looks like Koa to me.

Comment

Whoa, nice Koa!!!

Comment

Ahh, mine is in the shop being set up now, but it looks like it's mahogany, not koa. Bummer, but oh well. Also has a Charvel plate and no body cut near the heel, which I would have liked. Haven't played it yet, setup was horrible, but I hope it's great! I'll post some real pics when mine finally shows up.

Comment

Working...
                              X