Newb Question (EVH Charvel)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb Question (EVH Charvel)

Hello everyone I just picked up an EVH and I am wondering on how it was from the factory (I got mine used) I thought you were not to be able to pull back on the trem mine you can and the set up before I started with had the claw screws in all the way which means the floyd was sitting on close to a 45 degree angle. I would appreciate some feedback and pictures of the side of the EVH and back where the springs and claw screws are. I found this picture on Ebay but does this not angle the Floyd Rose or is this the way it should be?
    document.write('');
    Last edited by satim; 12-23-2007, 02:29 PM.

Depends on what gauge strings, what tuning, etc.
    The baseplate should be level with the body.
    How's the action on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
      Depends on what gauge strings, what tuning, etc.
      The baseplate should be level with the body.
      How's the action on it?

The acton is good up until the 12th fret. I just put on 9's and set the guitar up the Floyd is floating, level and in tune to 440. I do not like the fact that I can pull back I spent 1 1/2 setting up the Floyd. There is no way you can have the Floyd tight to the wood on the back and the Floyd level still with the body with any set up.

Comment

Wow, that thing is really in. I'd put in 3 springs IMO. Those springs are really stretched. You want the bridge base plate level with the top of the guitar with a max. of 1/8" lift at the rear of the plate.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by satim View Post
          The acton is good up until the 12th fret. I just put on 9's and set the guitar up the Floyd is floating, level and in tune to 440. I do not like the fact that I can pull back I spent 1 1/2 setting up the Floyd. There is no way you can have the Floyd tight to the wood on the back and the Floyd level still with the body with any set up.
          If you don't want to pull up, you can use a block of wood behind the sustain block or use something like a Tremol-no setup for dive only.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
            If you don't want to pull up, you can use a block of wood behind the sustain block or use something like a Tremol-no setup for dive only.
            Yes this is what I will be doing however I thought that they came made as per Ed's spec's so you can not pull up

Comment

Originally posted by satim View Post
              Yes this is what I will be doing however I thought that they came made as per Ed's spec's so you can not pull up
              It should be sitting flat on the body, so you could not pull up on it. It looks like it needs a setup. You can of course have it sitting parallel to the body allowing you to pull back on it a little.

That would be your choice of course.
              Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                You want the bridge base plate level with the top of the guitar with a max. of 1/8" lift at the rear of the plate.
                Not with a D-Tuna on it. Those things are made to be tilted back a tiny bit on the body. Personally, I'd just lower the whole thing flat to the body and use shims to raise the saddles.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Loosen up that claw. You'll have to go back and forth between loosening tension on the claw and tuning the strings to pitch over and over again - back and forth - until it finally settles on sitting flat (or nearly flat on top of the body) when in tune. When finally finished, the baseplate of the Floyd should be paralell to the surface of the body, and there should be little or no pull-up to the bridge.

Comment

The EVH's have the trem sustain block resting on the body so there is no way to do an up-pull.With the sustain block resting against the body the trem base plate should almost level with the top of the body.
                    From everything I've read about Eddie's guitars he screwed the spring claw all the way up like the one in the pic and used two springs.
                    Last edited by straycat; 12-23-2007, 09:56 PM.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                      The EVH's have the trem sustain block resting on the body so there is no way to do an up-pull.With the sustain block resting against the body the trem base plate should almost level with the top of the body.
                      From everything I've read about Eddie's guitars he screwed the spring claw all the way up like the one in the pic and used two springs.

This was my understanding but if I do this the Floyd is on an angle and not level to the body

What I would like to know is how these came from Charvel
                      1. Are or Were you able to pull up on the Floyd
                      2. Again I am able to pull up as the sustain block does not touch the back of the guitar if the Floyd is set level

Comment

1. No.
                        2. As straycat said, the trem's sustain block should be resting against the inside of the trem cavity. He's not correct about screwing the claw in all the way, though. I mean, maybe that's how EVH does his own guitars, but that's not how they came set up from the custom shop.

Follow the instructions I previously posted, and you should be OK. It will take a while going back and forth between loosening the spring claw a little bit and re-tuning the guitar to pitch. Do it over and over again - a little bit at a time - until the trem's baseplate is finally level - or nearly level - against the surface of the body, and the sustain block is resting against the body route in the back.

I'll try to post a pic later, if I get time. Sorry, busy day.

Comment

evh does set his own guitars up that way (2 springs on the floyd)...and it is possible...i set mine up that way as well and have been doing it for years...have yet to run across a jackson or charvel that can't be set up that way and the floyd still be flat...d.m.
                          http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                            1. No.
                            2. As straycat said, the trem's sustain block should be resting against the inside of the trem cavity. He's not correct about screwing the claw in all the way, though. I mean, maybe that's how EVH does his own guitars, but that's not how they came set up from the custom shop.

Follow the instructions I previously posted, and you should be OK. It will take a while going back and forth between loosening the spring claw a little bit and re-tuning the guitar to pitch. Do it over and over again - a little bit at a time - until the trem's baseplate is finally level - or nearly level - against the surface of the body, and the sustain block is resting against the body route in the back.

I'll try to post a pic later, if I get time. Sorry, busy day.

I would love to see a pic when you get a chance thanks in advance

Comment

Here's a couple of pics of mine. This is pretty much how they come set up from the factory. I only tweaked the bridge height a little for better action.

In the first pic, notice the position of the claw. It's only screwed in as far as necessary for the trem to be blocked. Not all of the way, as that puts too much tension on the springs. More importantly, notice that the sustain block is flush against the body route for the trem. If you want to the trem blocked for no pull-up, this is the key. Mine is actually only flush on the low E side - it doesn't need to be perfectly uniform across the whole block or anything like that.

In the second pic, notice that the base of the bridge is not actually sitting on top of the body - it's just a bit above it. With the sustain block flush in the route against the wood, the bridge still has a little bit of adjustment for lower action, if you want it.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X