My Charvel Beater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Charvel Beater

This is my beater guitar. The body is checked all over the place. I leave it out and don't put it back in its case ever. I take it on trips with me when I go out of town as a practice guitar.
    I don't ever clean it and barely change the strings.

I bought this from a friend who put this together. The body and neck come from 2 different guitars. Alder body with a very thin vaneer or whatever they call it, maple neck and rosewood board. It has an old modified pick up from Aero Instruments who is a very very small very very high end expensive pup manufacturer. They rarely build pups anymore and when they do its about $250 for one of them.

I am not a big fan of 22 fret guitars. I also don't really like the looks of it. And I typically prefer maple fingerboards. BUT after I heard this thing I bought it.
    This guitar flat out sounds amazing. It is bright and sizzly with AMAZING harmonics. It just screams.

I might have posted this on here a looooooong time ago -can't remember if I did or not.

Anyway I was comparing this to my custom Demon and PC1 last night just to see the tonal differences. Although I get a lot of growl out of the Demon and PC1 - with the Demon being more focused than the PC1 - this Charvel holds its own.

When you hit the high D note - 15th position on the B string and bend up the note immediately goes into a harmonic.

It sort of pisses me off that a mutt guitar like this sounds so good. I thought rosewood boards are mild and meek but this thing has probably the best harmonics I have ever heard on a guitar.

I would say it is cleaner and warmer sounding than my other guitars except for the unbelievable harmonic quality about it. It is pretty loud and resonant also without being plugged in.

I might mention the action is set really high compared to my other guitars which might make a difference also - don't know. And I wonder if the floyd being mounted directly to the body instead of recessed has anything to do with it.

Sustain is not great as with my other guitars but this thing has bite, sizzle and the best harmonics I have ever heard. Puts a JEM to shame when it comes to harmonics.

Last edited by shredmonster; 11-26-2007, 12:42 PM.
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

What happened to jackson's headstock? Sweet charvel by the way.

Comment

action does make somewhat of a difference...
      -Adam

Comment

if u dislike the way it looks and that, i'l have it off you ....

Comment

Sweet beater dude, Looks great!

Comment

that thing is flat gorgeous.

see, that is right down my alley, dark fretboard, killer quilt top, one hum, I love it.
            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

That's your beater, mine is spray painted and has only one knob(and twoo holed).
              Jackson KV2T Black Ghost Flames with EMG's

Comment

Sweet beater man.

Comment

That's not a beater.

Comment

It is a beater damn it! But it has that special mojo so it's a keeper (but still a beater !)
                    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Originally posted by shredmonster View Post

I might mention the action is set really high compared to my other guitars which might make a difference also - don't know. And I wonder if the floyd being mounted directly to the body instead of recessed has anything to do with it.
                      I can't stand super low action and it makes the guitar suffer BIGTIME in the tone department. If folks want a cheap tone improvement..raise the action a bit.

I think I can tell a difference with top mounted floyds vs recessed...especially if it sits flush with the body and has no pull up action
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by anuske9 View Post
                        action does make somewhat of a difference...
                        Action does make a great difference.

Higher action = sounds better, better harmonics, better tone
                        lower action = plays better

It's actually a lot more complicated than this... You always try to find a balance of what sound you want and how fast you want it to feel.
                        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

looks awful nice for a beater

Comment

not a very original thing to say, BUT that axe looks AWESOME!

perfect players guitar
                            Out Of Ideas

Comment

The action on my Charvel mod 2 bullseye mutt is kind of high for my taste but its a monster in the tone dept.The floyd is not all the way down but damn close.
                              It has a old SD profile strat head neck with an ebony board so Its a bit of a chunky "C" shape.
                              Its the loudest guitar I have unplugged and flat screams plugged in lots of harmonics too.72 DiMarzio super D.The whole combination works.
                              Nice beater you have there.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X