Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing the guitar neck and fixing space GAP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the guitar neck and fixing space GAP?

A.
    Last edited by electricalmagik; 03-22-2018, 03:04 PM.

A 24 fret neck will not intonate if put on that body. Unless you want to modify the neck pocket.

Comment

Or move the bridge

Please, more pictures of the gap so that we can see what the problem is.

Comment

Originally posted by electricalmagik View Post

I was wondering if I can possibly fix this problem by replacing the 22 fret neck for a 24 fret one. I don't know enough about this but would it have a possible effect on the guitar because of a bigger scale lenght?
        Nice guitar!
        Scale length has nothing to do with it in this case. The scale of that 22-fret neck is 25.5", and a J/C 24-fret neck would also have a 25.5" scale. It just wouldn't intonate properly without modification to the neck pocket, like Surfdork stated.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I just love the tone and feel of this guitar and it's been exactly what I've been looking for.
          LOL! Then why are you dumping it on ebay?

Comment

A.
            Last edited by electricalmagik; 03-22-2018, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              Or move the bridge

Please, more pictures of the gap so that we can see what the problem is.
              Yes, please. Please clarify....sounds as if you're having a problem with a bolt-on 22-fret neck joint, as opposed to the neck itself? If so(unless the neck joint is somehow different from the usual Charvel Strat body?), how would changing the neck (24 fret or otherwise) help? You didn't mention whether your 24-fret Jackson was bolt-on or neck-through....Or is it perhaps a problem with the string action past the 17th, ala an incorrectly done neck shim due to the top-mounted Floyd? I'm curious.... Also, what's the nut width on that puppy?

It's a nice piece, and from your description, might be a set-up issue....IMO seems like you should give it a chance before dumping it on Ebay.
              Actually, if you're going to get rid of it, you should consider a tax-deductable donation to the jhale667's home for cool Charvels...
              Last edited by jhale667; 11-03-2007, 12:36 AM.

Comment

I've given it some thought and instaid of having work done on this guitar I'm going to sell it and eventually get a Custom Shop Charvel with specs more to my likings. Plus I play my Jackson much more then the Charvel regardless of how much I like it's tone and feel.
                I'm not seeing an issue, even with your e-bay pics.
                Turn that Sh......... down!

Comment

A.

Comment

If you can't afford to keep your two guitars I'm not sure you can afford 3K + for a Custom Shop. If I understand what you are stating your issue is with this one it is that you would like the neck to sit deeper in the neck pocket so the fretboard is basically touching the top of the body. The only way this is possible with a Floyd is to recess the Floyd.

Comment

So you were really considering butchering an almost new San Dimas?:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
                      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

A.

Comment

Save yourself some money and buy a PC1 instead. Sounds like that'd cover the bases for your "problems". 24 frets, Dinky body style, recessed trem, and angled neck heel = upper fret access more like you're used to on the SL. The strathead is a bonus.

BTW, sounds like your "problems" are really just personal preferences. That likely accounts for much of this thread's confusion. Besides, it's not the guitar's fault.

Comment

A.
                            Last edited by electricalmagik; 03-22-2018, 03:06 PM.

Comment

I'm going to go against the grain here and say don't get a PC-1 if you want good tone - unless you want to yank the electronics. After I had some time with my PC-1 I concluded that the only way I could keep it as a player would be to gut the electronics. That bridge pickup sucks - plain and simple - muddy and murky. The middle pickup is lame too - it's one of the worst Strat pickups I've heard. And using that sustainer as a neck pickup sounds like total shit. The neck/body on the PC-1 are really great so I was tempted to keep it and fix the electronics but I decided it was easier to move it and just get something I like to begin with.
                              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X