Charvel EVH Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel EVH Question

I've played the Charvel EVH model at Guitar Center and really liked the neck carve and neck dimensions. I would buy one but I need a neck pickup as well and I'm not too crazy about the stripes.

My question is, is there a similar Charvel USA model that has a similar neck to the EVH model and also has a neck pickup?

Similar neck carve? No, that's exclusive to the EVH model. Neck pickup with a strathead? You're going to have to find or order a custom shop with those specs. Matt - one of the JCF's sponsoring dealer - has a real nice one up on Ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-CHARVEL-USA...QQcmdZViewItem

(Disclaimer: that's a from a special 10 piece run that I helped organize. Very cool guitars, but I'm obviously biased.)

Comment

You could always look into buying a San Dimas reissue strathead from The Music Zoo's natural series. I know some of them have a single coil neck pickup, with a Humbucker in the bridge position. I think they are great guitars, and I love the neck carve that Tommy selected to have on them.

Comment

Originally posted by OUTLAW1969 View Post
        You could always look into buying a San Dimas reissue strathead from The Music Zoo's natural series. I know some of them have a single coil neck pickup, with a Humbucker in the bridge position. I think they are great guitars, and I love the neck carve that Tommy selected to have on them.
        Thanks I just took a look at those and they look amazing.

http://www.themusiczoo.com/charvelguitars.htm#Naturals0

The only thing I'm not too into is the 1 11/16" nut width. Part of why I liked the Charvel EVH was the narrower nut width and narrow neck overall. So I may keep looking.

Comment

FYI, you'll be looking for a long time. Almost all of the new Charvel stratheads have been 1 & 11/16ths. There were some (even wider) 1 & 3/4 early on. Except for the EVHs, I have yet to see another 1 & 5/8ths.

Comment

Its not a USA, but the Charvel CX390/391 had a 1 5/8ths nut. Really well built with thin necks and play they nice. Can be had extremely cheap too.

http://audiozone.dk/CatalogScans/JC1...1993Page14.htm

Comment

Originally posted by zyx345 View Post

The only thing I'm not too into is the 1 11/16" nut width. Part of why I liked the Charvel EVH was the narrower nut width and narrow neck overall. So I may keep looking.

Cool, I definitely understand that. However, keep in mind that like others have stated, you will have to look a little harder to find one that meets that requirement. I have played a few of the guitars that CharvelRocker is referring to, and I am not so sure you would be as happy with them, as opposed to getting used to a little bit wider neck on a better guitar (IMHO). That is just my opinion though.

Comment

IMO the Jackson PC-1 Sustainer Phil Collen model is very close in neck
                dimensions. You might try to play one of these?

Comment

Have you tried a Wolfgang? It's got a great neck shape, 1 5/8 nut, and neck pup.
                  Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Originally posted by zyx345 View Post

I understand, because I really prefer the 1 5/8 neck width as well. But it is tough to find on any production Jackson or Charvel. You may get lucky and run across something, but likely you're looking at a CS order or a guitar from another company.
                    GM,
                    www.aftershok.com

Comment

Or you could do what I did and put a Sustainiac in. (acts like a neck pup when not engaged and sounds good) Makes this model much more versitial.....

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

That's a cool idea, but versatility aside, there's something blasphemous about seeing that design with a neck pickup...lol

Comment

Originally posted by jhale667 View Post
                          That's a cool idea, but versatility aside, there's something blasphemous about seeing that design with a neck pickup...lol

Quite understandable, but I did order another pickguard from Charvel (last year when I had the chance and got one) when I had the sustainer put in so I can change it back if want too..............
                          "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

Originally posted by 777 View Post
                            Or you could do what I did and put a Sustainiac in. (acts like a neck pup when not engaged and sounds good) Makes this model much more versitial.....

I like the jack where it is. Pretty cool guitar. I would not pay what they are asking, but I bet it rips good.
                            "Hard work is for people short on talent." -George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                            X