Floss'em & Brush'em Chavel Star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floss'em & Brush'em Chavel Star

Ok guys...the recent posting of the video of Flotsam with Ed playing the black and white star has got me in the mood to find a replacement neck for it. I am not an expert on strat head necks so I would like to get some help from the board members on picking out the right neck and getting the head stock painted correctly. I am not going to dump $800 for a San Dimas strat head neck, but a few hundred is reasonable.

Some general details about the neck:
    Floyd nut because it has a floyd now
    22 frets (the original might be 21, but I prefer 22)
    Rosewood FB (looks like Rosewood in the vid)
    Tung oiled

I am ok with a used neck as long as it at least close to what a Charvel neck looks like...skunk stripe, correct dot spacing, strat head, etc. In fact a used one would be great because the guitar has been well used.

If I go through with it I will probably just give it to my friend so the guitar can be closer to the original glory.

Any thoughts on who makes the best repro neck? Also, if you have any suggestions on the details from what you can see in the video or in geneal that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

from my understanding (I have never owned one) musikraft makes great replacement necks....

Comment

Yes, get it done! And post some pics when it's done! This'll be awesome!
      "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Originally posted by Psh511 View Post
        from my understanding (I have never owned one) musikraft makes great replacement necks....
        I was going to say the same thing..never owned one (yet), but I hear great things about them, and the pics on their site look dead-on....

Comment

Originally posted by Psh511 View Post
          +1 - they do. I have bought a couple off him on ebay (he sells under jamersonguitars) - top notch stuff... USA Customs makes awesome necks as well, but you have to sand the nub off the headstock as Tommy doesn't go for the FMIC licensing/extortion charge...
          Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Thanks Guys. So it sounds like Musikraft or USA Customs then.

Here are the specs that I can tell from the video:
            San Dimas Strat headstock (Black & White paint)
            Gold Charvel Logo
            Black Machine heads
            Chrome Floyd nut
            Rosewood fret board
            Clay Dot inlays
            22 frets
            Skunk stripe
            Qtr Sawn Maple
            Double expanding truss rod
            Heal truss rod adjustment

I am not sure about the "correct" neck shape, scale, and Nut width. Any ideas?

Also, I have a warmoth compound radius neck that I like...so I was thinking a compound radius. Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
            X