Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint question (Sully, Mike, are you there?!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint question (Sully, Mike, are you there?!)

Based on what is known about Charvel's paint procedures, is it possible that one of the 'flat black' guitars (link below) could be 'polished' up or gloss laquered or something to make them a normal gloss black, or would it require a complete refinish?

http://www.themusiczoo.com/Charvel_U...EVH_C7389.html
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

if you buff the whole thing out it will shine up real good. i would be a deep clear coat shine though.
    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

quite possible; there's an additive put in the clear to make it satin, so you won't remove that, but you should be able to get a shine. perhaps not the deepest of shines, but yeah, it's possible.
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

If you want to go with a clear coat, I would recommend roughing the surface with 400 grit wet sanding paper, after wiping the body down with some Naptha to remove finger oils or waxes. Then you could use a catalyzed 2 part clear. I would recommend PPG OMNI clear, which is compatible with any Urethane and also is what JCMI uses as far as a brand on most finishes. It's mixed 1 part MH167 (catalyst) to 1 part MC161 (clear base) It's very easy to spray. I shoot it at 36-40 psi at the gun. Of course, you would need professional type spray equipment to do this. If you don't have this type of gear, a local body shop could shoot the body at the same time they were doing a car and could be done at a reasonable cost. Of course, Dupont, RM and others make similar clearcoat materials, so one brand is not mandatory
        This is PPG OMNI clear coat straight over bare white Korina as an example. I did not fill the grain with grain filler, just straight clear. Yeah, it soaked it up for sure
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

damn thats a nice looking guitar.
          "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Thanks Mr. Kelly User! I had this one and a "old school" white Korina in oil finish I posted awhile ago on the forum. I built about 6 guitars last year. I've cooled it down since then.
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I wouldn't be doing any clear coating myself - I don't have the facilites, tools, or ability!

If I wanted to try the buffing approach, what's the best way to do it, tools / products to use etc?
              Popular is not the same as good
              Rare is not the same as valuable
              Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

My faded (satin) Les Paul Studio is a little glossy in spots now just from having my arm rub on it while playing. I'm sure if I rub hard with a cloth and some guitar polish, that'll also do the trick. Its satin neck is pretty shiny from just normal playing as well.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It really depends on what they are using for their flat topcoat. If it is just a flattening agent, you may be able to buff it to some extent. But it probably wont get the shine that a nice new clear coat would get. Since all the filling work has been done with the poly undercoat, you could sand it down and clear it with an automotive based clear like Bengal mentioned. But some of these new fad flat blacks have a rubberized base to them. Make sure yours isnt one of them. I will check with Antonio to see what he is using on the blacks.
                  Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                  http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

no, joe it work work. i tried many a times on my EC-2005, never worked out. i think a composite wheel will do the trick, you have to buff it.

Comment

Working...
                    X