• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candy Apple Red Strathead v2.0 - Pau Ferro

This is from the 10 piece limited run at Matt’s Music. Specs are:

-Strat body, Candy Apple Red finish
    -Punky ash body wood
    -2 hums, Duncan Custom (bridge) and ’59 (neck)
    -Original Floyd Rose, non-recessed
    -Black hardware
    -22 fret oiled neck with strat headstock
    -Fretboard done in both maple and pau ferro versions

The guitar got here only a couple of days ago and work has been kicking my ass this week, so I haven’t gotten a lot of playing time on it yet. Very cool guitar so far, though. The color is drop dead gorgeous. Sorry, the pics really don’t do the color justice at all – it was very overcast when I took them. Matt’s pictures in the limited area show the finish much better.

The neck and tone are smoking. This is my first strathead with the new “standard” strathead profile, and I really like it. Fret work was very good. The Custom and ‘59 pickups are among my favorites, and sound great with the swamp ash body. A real nice mid-range crunch, and cool neck-position cleans too. The pau ferro fretboard is great – very hard, dense, tightly-grained. And this particular one has some cool super-stripey figuring to it.

The negatives are only minor nitpicks. A little bit of glue residue on the fretboard. Some extremely tiny (tip-of-a-pinhead size) flakes stuck to the finish, but these cleaned right up with some swirl polish. And the boneheads forgot to throw the trem arm in the case. Otherwise, the quality control is very good.

Overall a very cool guitar that plays, sounds, and looks absolutely great. Thanks to the custom shop guys, and to Matt for doing this limited run with yet another great deal.

BTW, if anyone is interested, Matt still has a couple of these available – both maple and pau ferro fretboards. And, if you’re thinking “big bucks” for a strathead, that would not be correct. Pricewise, we’re only talking Jackson PC1 and KV2T-ish territory.

Comment

WOW!!! Is that sweet. I bet that color pops. For some reason I like red guitars. congrats ya lucky bastard
      Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

wow she looks great. I have been eyeing the cool surf green (2 hum/Floyd) Strat heads over at Wild West Guitars...lots of cool plain janes available right now.
        www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
        My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

You're the one behind this run, great job on the specs! Still, thanks for the review and the plug Pat!

Always a pleasure doing business with you.
          Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Nice looking guitar! It would be nice to play that one sometimes

Comment

Sweet looking guitar, Pat. Love this color!

Comment

pat comes up with some of the coolest custom ideas, imo.

sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Congrats.
                  Sweet, I love Candy Apple Red.
                  Even Warmoth, puts out a nice Candy Apple Red paint job.
                  With a nice clear glossy finish, it gives it a nice deep mirror look.
                  Last edited by Soap; 03-31-2007, 08:30 PM.
                  Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Well, after several 15-plus hour days at work, I finally got some more playing time with this bad boy. I'm even more impressed now. It plays like buttah.

And you know how every guitar has a certain note which sings out a "natural resonance" in the body when unplugged? This one positively screams it! Very toneful and very cool.

Loving the color and finish even more. Finally got some sun around here, and the it just jumps out at you with light. Candy finishes like this are just so old school coolness.

Very happy with this one.
                    Last edited by shreddermon; 04-01-2007, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Looks really cool, I talked to Matt, he's down to 1 left.

Comment

That board looks great, Pat! Glad to hear you're digging yours. I can't put mine down. As nice as these look, everything takes a back seat to tone & playability for me. I know it's still the honeymoon period, but I think this is going to be #1 for a while. It's a total home run, imo.

Comment

Cool, dg. Glad to hear others are digging theirs, too.

Comment

Very nice guitar. I don't know what all the bitchin' is about quality lately. Between this one, the EVH, and the solar flametop I have had ZERO issues with any new Charvel.

I love the Pau Ferro board. Good call on that shreddermon. I'm gonna swap the pickups with half cream duncans to tone down the black a bit. Also gonna put a custom custom in the bridge. The color is absolutely gorgeous as mentioned here.

My only regret is that they weren't hardtails. That would have made them perfect!

Bottom line is that i'm at a point where I can only keep a few guitars, so it's basically one in/one out. This one is so good it will stay, and something else will be on the way out!

Comment

Dual zebra hums, huh? Been there on a couple of my old red strats before. Nice call.

Comment

Working...
                              X