Picked up a Solar...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up a Solar...

Finally pulled the trigger and bought a Solar. I was hesitant at first because of some of the QC issues, but it was just too nice looking to pass up, and I just trusted the seller's representation that it had no issues.

Well, I got it yesterday, and I really love it. Looks wise, its flawless. Not one scratch or anything. Sounds awesome too. The seller swapped in a zebra Tone Zone (included the original PAF as well) which I really like. Sounds good with the mahogany body. Not sure how the brass trem affects the tone, but it looks cool! Love the two-tone wammy bar too!

I know a lot of people aren't crazy about the neck profile on the new pointys; some even likened it to the Ibanez "wrist-breaker" necks. I don't really find that to be the case. The neck is thinner than my Strathead Wayne, but definately thicker than the Ibanez Wizard. The backshape is also different from the Ibanez, -more rounded than the flat Ibanez neck. Plus its got the compound-radius fretboard, whereas the Ibanez is very flat all the way up the neck. The Solar neck is also not as wide. I dig it, alot!

I'm sure everyone here knows what the Solars look like, but here's a pic anyway:

Here's one more pic:

Comment

Nice! Enjoy it. I haven't had an opportunity to play one of these, but they sure look great.

Comment

Great guitar. The neck profile on the new pointies is my favorite of all time, and very true to the originals.

Congrats.

Comment

Sexy...
          Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

I love it!

those are my favorite Charvels, period.

if it had a strathead, it would be even that much more perfect.

great grab bro!
            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

very nice score - maybe my favorite color / wood combo yet...something about flamed solar...

Comment

Great looking guitar. Glad your digging it.

Comment

Originally posted by skorb
                  I love it!

those are my favorite Charvels, period.

if it had a strathead, it would be even that much more perfect.

great grab bro!
                  You should check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GMW-Guitarworks-...QQcmdZViewItem

I opted for the Solar instead because of the Mahogany body. Otherwise, I just might have grabbed this one.

Comment

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Does anybody know if there is some sort of finish I could apply to the back of the headstock only to keep Mike Shannon's signature and the run # from fading?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack71
                      You should check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GMW-Guitarworks-...QQcmdZViewItem

I opted for the Solar instead because of the Mahogany body. Otherwise, I just might have grabbed this one.
                      that IS very very nice.

but I just blew my wad on a Vetta, so I'm done for a while.
                      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Very nice - the zebra looks great!
                        Popular is not the same as good
                        Rare is not the same as valuable
                        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Very nice, tone zone rules too!
                          Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Nice grab. Those guitars were very well done from what I could see and they played ridiculously good when set up correctly (and I am not into v-trems at all).
                            "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Originally posted by ejs0614
                              very nice score - maybe my favorite color / wood combo yet...something about flamed solar...
                              Yeah, I love it. The only thing I would have done differently would be abalone dot inlays instead of black. Hmmmm, ...actually wouldn't be too hard to do. But would I be desecrating the guitar by doing that?

Comment

Working...
                              X