Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun with Serial Numbers

Gang:

Question for ya'll. Is there anything "to" the Charvel serial numbers? Is there a direct relationship between the S/N and when the guitar rolled off the line and went through final assembly? Do "batches" get sequential numbers? Or is there a big bin o' plates that gets filled up every 50 guitars or so and you get what you get?

Here's why I ask:

Wild West Guitars had two San Dimas 2H, Ferrari red, maple board, with Floyd guitars. One was S/N 7066, the other was 7166. Jay's 2H, Ferrari red, maple board, with Floyd is 7163. I played a 2H, Ferrari red, maple board, with Floyd which was 7063. I'm seeing a weird pattern here.

My 2H, Ferrari red, maple board, with Floyd is 7159. I swear if 7059 is another red 2H maple/Floyd I'll wet my pants.

These are the things that keep me awake at night. Well, that and the constant whisper of Mr. Peepers urging me to burn things.

--jr
    「久しぶりに絶望してえよ。マジで。」

Cue Twilight Zone theme
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I would think the plates are stamped and put in a box. The tech dude needs a plate and "Wa Laa" that's the number that one gets. If I am wrong, I don't care. Just one of those plates would buy me 3 guitars.
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

6054 1H - maple board
        7305 1H - maple board
        7314 1H - maple board
        6702 1H - maple board

The sum of digits of all of these Charvel SNs is 15!!! Damn, it's a fu****** conspiracy!

Comment

This probably doesn't help, but my black Charvel Star serial number is 6768, 2H - maple board, black body. Hang tag date is 8/3/05.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by busdriver
            The sum of digits of all of these Charvel SNs is 15!!! Damn, it's a fu****** conspiracy!
            Good one! Too freakin' funny.

Originally posted by fett
            I would think the plates are stamped and put in a box. The tech dude needs a plate and "Wa Laa" that's the number that one gets.
            I wonder if it's like "Three Strikes" on the Price is Right -- every third neckplate has a big red X on it and if the tech pulls it he gets impaled on the Plinko board.

Or ... uh ... something to that effect.

--jr
            「久しぶりに絶望してえよ。マジで。」

Comment

I get a kick that mine is four numbers away from yours!

Comment

WRT to batches, in the Dweezil run our plates were not in sequential order. I think they may actually put the plates out in the order of completion, but there are a lot of different things being completed at any given time. Who knows? Fett might be right too.

Comment

You dudes with new Charvels ought to consider maybe working up a list/database of serial #s like many of us collectors of the eighties Charvels do!!Get 'em now while they're readily available,alot easier than trying to find out what the old ones were,especially now that you can't run serial #s or get workorders anymore!!Would be a cool resource & may answer the question of #s & limited runs!!I asked for the Solar #s to be sequential when I ordered the run so it is possible other runs have sequential #s!!No idea on the regular production serialization!!

5....4....3....2....1....!!

Comment

I think it's a good idea. Actually I already started a list of Charvels (serials >6000) for myself based on the info I found here on the forum. I would put it online and maintain it if there's interest. I have plenty of webspace left
                    The list would contain serial number, finish, headstock shape, pickups, final inspection date and remarks.
                    I'd say everybody who's interested PMs me these info about his >6000 Charvel and I will put the list online on a few days or weeks.
                    It would be totally anonym of course, no info about the owner.

Comment

I'd be happy to contribute the new Charvel serial #s I have bro,including the Solars #s!!

Comment

Hey Chuck, sounds great, please send what you have
                        So far I have 70 Charvels in the list and it would be nice to see it growing

If possible send info for: serial#, work order, body style (Star, San Dimas, etc.), finish, fretboard wood, headstock style (Pointy, Strathead), pickup configuration (1H, 2H, etc), bridge type, final inspection date and remarks.

BTW: Does anybody know how many GX black bullseyes are out there? 10?

Comment

I'll send what I have for pics & info bro!!

There were thirty GX bullseyes!!

Comment

OK, >here< is the first version of what I thought. If you guys think it's worth to continue I need submissions, submissions and uhmm... more submission

Comment

Very cool bro!!Great job!!Pics & info sent!!

Comment

Working...
                              X