#6879 finds a home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #6879 finds a home

Finally, I land a Charvel Bullseye. It took awhile, I've been GASing for one of these. GoodnLoud music in Madison hooked me up.

It's kind of a weird bullseye. It doesn't have a Floyd, so this makes it a Limited Edition. At least that's what I thought. But unlike the LEs, it's doesn't have a strathead. Also, most of the Bullseyes I've seen have a red back, while this one has a white back. The bolt plate is also the traditional Charvel plate rather than the chrome version on LE Bullseyes.

Whatever. When it arrived, I was surprised to see that this guitar was showcased at 2004 NAMM.

It arrived needing a good setup. The strings were 10s and the neck was bowed obscenely. I dropped down to 9s and gave the truss rod a whole turn. (I've never had to do that before, a quarter turn at most usually). And then it was ready to play. Fantastic neck. The thing rips. I'm a fan of the SD TB-14 on it. It's just fun to play, and I highly recommend the new SDs to anyone.

Very nice, I like maple boards on bullseyes

But there are two reasons this guitar can't have been displayed at the 2004 NAMM. 1st... the serial number doesn't fit. 6879 would be a late 2005 guitar. And 2nd... the 2004 NAMM Bullseye hangs on the wall right behind me

Comment

Awesome guitar first off! I love the new SD's!(I'd own more, but the wallet would thin out) and have two of them.

My blue 'dimas came MINT, barely any work needed to make it rip. My ferrari red one came as yours did, heavy strings(the d and the a string are still screwy) but with that being said it rips! Intonation was also WAYY off....all good now.

It'll be difficult to NOT enjoy that guitar. Doesn't the neck feel incredible? They really did a nice job with these guitars! I honestly GLOW when I see one!

More times than a few I've thought about selling everything else and getting a few more. That's how I am, when I like something, I REALLY like it.

OK, I'll shut up now

Comment

I'd say that was a production San Dimas (with the vintage trem option), with the bullseye graphic (which can be ordered on a production guitar).
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

It not a limited it's a custom shop. There's another at drum city I think it was but it is floyded
          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Correct. Since Winter NAMM '05 (after the bullseye LE strathead run was done), you can order the pointyheads with the R&W bullseye graphic.

Your guitar is a SD Standard with the graphic option. Only the LE stratheads had red backs & etched plates. Anything after then has a white back and traditional 3D plate.

Comment

very nice....enjoy her
              www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
              My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Congrats! I am really starting to dig these, I just wish I were more of a strat body fan.
                Scott
                Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Nice score. V-trems and maple rule!

Comment

Nice guitar but the fact that the tuners are black and bridge is gold.. it just doesnt fit imo

Comment

Originally posted by Erez
                      Nice guitar but the fact that the tuners are black and bridge is gold.. it just doesnt fit imo
                      that's old school right there ... they have always done that
                      Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I just ran into four red & white BEs, Strat heads and Floyds. To die for...
                        PM me if you want to know where they are at and I will will hook you up.
                        Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Nice guitar! Congrats.

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone.

As for the NAMM 2004 comment, I thought it was out of date with the serial # as well. I made that claim however since the guitar was shipped in its original box from Charvel, and the invoice that was packed in plastic outside the box was still there. It said Bullseye NAMM 2004. I did a search yesterday and there are pics of the Jackson wall at NAMM 04 on JCF. This was NOT the Bullseye in those pics. So, now I'm guessing that Charvel simply used the old box to ship out my Standard. Whatever, it plays great.

Since this thing took about 9 months to sell (I'm guessing) I've gone ahead and started oiling the fretboard with fret doctor. I also have some Tung oil for the back, but I'm reading the directions on it and I'm a bit skeptical. It says I should buff it after applying the oil with fine steelwool. Is that right? Wow, on an unfinished neck? I'm not inclined to do that.

How do you all apply Tung oil?

Comment

If you like the feel of the back of the neck right now, you should just leave it alone & enjoy. It was originally treated at the factory w/ gunstock oil and it should still be fine even though it's been sitting. If you really feel that you need to add more protection, most people here seem to recommend using gunstock oil or boiled linseed oil. The gunstock oil is available at the firearms counter at Walmart, and most hardware stores carry boiled linseed oil. The steel wool recommended is 0000 grade, which is super-fine and won't leave scratches behind, just smoothes out the oil finish after drying. I think I remember reading that kmanick has had good results getting a broken-in feel by going over his necks w/ a leather strap after oiling. Congrats on a sweet axe, btw!
                              Last edited by dg; 06-14-2006, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X