Need info on the new Charvels SD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need info on the new Charvels SD

I really like the Bullseye and the Eldred Flame. I'm looking for info on the playability of these guitars. I'm currenlty a GMW guy so my expectations of a great playing SD is very high. You can no longer order a GMW guitar w/ the fender headstock so purchasing a GMW w/ the graphic I want is out of the question for now.

If these new charvels don't have that infamous neck w/ that great feel (basing my observation off of GMW's replica SD guitars) than I wouldn't be interested. Can you guys give me prices on these models? I think the eldred flame might be a custom model, but I'm not sure. Any info on these models would be great.

Thanks Bob T.

http://www.jcfonline.com/dealers

Start emailing
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

The new pointys are dead on to the thinner SD pointy profile from back in the day. The pre-2006 s-heads seem to be all over the place. The jury is still out on the newest ones, although people seem to like them, even if they are on the thin side. I have yet to play one.

I have played pre-2006 s-heads right next to my 02 GMW. As for a comparison to either GMWs or original 80s production s-heads, no comment. Read into that way ever you like.
      "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Bob:

As "feel" is as personal as "tone," your best bet might be to find a local dealer with one of the new San Dimas models in stock and wail away on it. I've seen a number of posts on this forum where folks write in with "guitar store San Dimas spottings," and you can always ask if a store (or JCF member) has one in your area.

Personally, I think my new San Dimas (just built a month ago) is the best playing, best feeling guitar I've owned. I've never seen a GMW in the flesh (though they totally inspire gear lust), however. Thus, I'm comparing my Charvel to what I do own and play regularly: An '03 Jackson oil neck Warrior WR-1, an '88 JEM 777DY, an '03 PRS wide-fat Custom 22, and a '93 Carvin oil neck DC-127. There was also a 2000 G&L tinted-neck Legacy in there, but that was a while ago. The Charvel feels more organic and slightly more "round" than the Warrior, wider and easier to play in the low positions than the JEM (it's a 22-fret vs. 24-fret thing, and remember the '88 777s have the "fattest necks" of the JEM family), infinitely thinner and more playable than the PRS (I also hate finished necks, if you couldn't tell), and more substantial (and, again, more organic) than the Carvin.

That last paragraph is probably useless, as, again, "feel" is subjective. It's also completely impossible to convey feel, even by using relative qualifiers to common experiences. So just focus on the first paragraph. Find one. Play one. Feel the love. I can't say that you'll plotz and immediately swear off all other guitars right then and there, but I can say that you'll be glad you tried it.

--jr
        「久しぶりに絶望してえよ。マジで。」

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. I agree that I need to play some of the new SD's but unfortunatley there is none in my area. I checked the dealer sites for charvels and they list the local GC as a dealer, but I've never even seen one of the cheap Charvels in there. Looks like a road trip might be in order.

I checked e-bay and one of the newer strathead bullseye's sold for $1,000 (used). That seems like a pretty good price. If I remember correctly I had a dealer quote one for $1800 new about, but that was back in October. Haven't done any research since than.

Comment

Originally posted by owlhead
            Thanks for the advice guys. I agree that I need to play some of the new SD's but unfortunatley there is none in my area. I checked the dealer sites for charvels and they list the local GC as a dealer, but I've never even seen one of the cheap Charvels in there. Looks like a road trip might be in order.

I checked e-bay and one of the newer strathead bullseye's sold for $1,000 (used). That seems like a pretty good price. If I remember correctly I had a dealer quote one for $1800 new about, but that was back in October. Haven't done any research since than.
            I know the auction you're referring to, and I'm pretty sure that one was ended early. It appears the seller cut a deal so it's hard to say what it sold for. The stratheads have been selling (used) for $1400-1600. I would have jumped on one any where near the $1k range. I've been waiting for one to pop up for about 9 months. Ain't happening. Finally, I gave in and bought a new pointy last week in the 1200s. It came today and the thing kicks butt.

Comment

Bob:

Dunno if it's your style, but American Musical Supply

http://www.americanmusical.com/sort--brand-304.html

has a few single-hum San Dimases (Dimi???) in stock. You could always order one and take liberal advantage of their 45-day money back guarantee to get an idea of the feel and sound. Just be sure to keep all of your paperwork and the original cartons, and treat her real nice while you wail. You'll have to pay for shipping back to them.

I've generally had good luck with AMS. I've only had to return two pieces of gear (one was a "don't like it," while the other was an "it's broken"), and they were pretty cool about both.

Just a last resort idea if you can't find a dealer or forum member in your area.

Good luck!

--jr
              「久しぶりに絶望してえよ。マジで。」

Comment

Sent you a p.m.

Comment

Has anyone tried the custom SD's. I really want to stay w/ the fender headstock. My overall main concern is the playability. I can not picture anything playing as well as the GMW I have. The GMW set the standard really high, so the next guitar needs to be able to hang w/ the GMW or it will get no play time.

Comment

I just played a new SD yesterday. Felt pretty good to me. Very easy, smooth bends in the higher frets.

Comment

Working...
                    X