Maple Bodies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maple Bodies

Thats why I wanted a 3/4 archtop. Since both body AND neck are koa I wanted something with some highs to really balance the guitar out and to further even things out I went with a brighter fingerboard wood (Ziricote, basically a ebony like wood with swirling figure). I'm still trying to find all the info I can on rosewood guitars, because thats what I plan for my Charvel strathead, everything I have read so far says if you do a rosewood neck and body you almost have to chamber the body both for weight and to keep the tone from getting to mushy. If anyone here has any additional info on rosewood bodies and such, I'd appreciate your comments.

As to maple, its a great wood but I don't much like it for solid bodies, alot of bright biting tone. Almost brittle. Its a very heavy wood for one piece construction but it takes finish so well.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Yes, they were solid maple, anywhere from 1 to 3 pieces from my understanding. The butcher block construction that you mention is typical of cheaper import lines...

[/ QUOTE ]
      LOL my first guitar was a Fender Squier Tele bought in 1984 (when people actually knew who Billy Squier was, LOL) and this is when they were reasonably well MIJ but still had the cheap electronics and tuners. it has a 4 piece butcher block maple body, as I found out recently when I refinished it and stuck a custom Warmoth neck on it with a Little 59 in the bridge position and a quarter pound in the neck.

it is heavy as hell for a Tele and is super resonant acoustically. sounds soooo nice.
      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I have seen 1 pc figured maple, 2 pc bodies, and 3 pc SD bodies from back in the day. Some were trans colors, some were solid colors. I think 3 pc bodies were a rarity. 2 pc was the norm.

We use 2 pc bodies today for Alder, etc. We occasionally have to go 3 pc with basswood, depending on what's available.

Comment

Sounds good. I took another look at my "project" this morning. 4 pieces of maple, and a maple veneer cap on top. The maple cap does not extend into the lower left bout where the beveling for the picking arm is done, so it would look a bit strange if I finished it as a burst.

Comment

Working...
          X