Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: San Dimas Series vs. Jackson USA?

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
    Those have two hums with a 5-way switch??.... [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

What are the necks and backshapes of the necks like?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The neck radius is fairly flat, not as flat as an original SD but still fairly flat. The backshape is thin but not that wide. I guess someone said in an earlier post that the neck is comparable to a PC1. I don't know since I've never played one. But it certainly is sweet.

I have this guitar sitting right next to the Charvel SD Strathead parts guitar that I have and I like the way the Strathead plays a little better, but this guitar is far more versatile. The pickups and the 5-way switch really do it for me.

Comment

Another satified customer. Great Guitars, Dana

Comment

You can peek in the gallery and see the bad-ass IV I used to own. I stole it about a year or so ago and still think it is one of the best guitars that ever came through here.(If you bought a quilt top IV in burgundy off Justin about a year ago, that's my old one.)
        That guitar was absolutley SICK for the money. It had a KOA body with bound quilt top, matching quilted headstock, OFR, 3 Duncans and gold hardware to boot! All this for $600??? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Why in the hell would anyone bye a USA Jackson Phil Collen for twice the money when they are basically the same guitar? HELLO! [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

They are putstanding bang for the buck axes to say the least!

Comment

I CONCUR with Chuck on this one...I have a SD-IV Reissue I got from Yoga, and it is TOTALLY DOPE - BOTH in APPEARANCE...AND PLAYABILITY !!!!!

Comment

How's that koa sound?

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
              How's that koa sound?
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">To my ears it sounds slightly dark. If I had to compare it to another guitar, I would say it is similar to the all Mahogany JJ-2 that I have. Just realize that the JJ-2 has Duncan Custom Scott Ian pickups whereas the SD I has the Duncans mentioned above. I can't find any info on the Scott Ian pickups, so I don't know how much those pickups affect the tone.

The Koa is a beautiful wood and it feels great. Very nice finish to these guitars. Chuckracer is right where he questions the wisdom of naming these guitars San Dimas. If they would have named them Charvel Custom Shop xxxx, I bet they would be worth three times what they go for now.

Anybody have an SD IV they want to sell/trade?

Comment

Fritz I might be able to help you there. I read a short interview with Scott about his gear, he said that basically his pickups (the el diablo) are like Screamin Demons but with a bit higher output and blades instead of polepieces.

Comment

Working...
                X